Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course work material

Options
  • 16-08-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey I have heard books are pretty expensive..how much are we talking and when do we get them?? I will be startng first year in a few weeks. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

...................................what course are you doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Also. Buy second hand. Adverts round UCD, Chapters in town, SU 2nd hand book thing, etc. all cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

KeyLimePie is right when he asks what course you are doing. I can only tell you from a science pov. We tend not to need to buy the books as most of the material is covered in the lectures. Failing that there is always the interlink. The library is your friend. For example, last year I had to read a few chapters of a book and rather than lugging the book with me all the time and renewing it, I just got the chapters I needed photocopied...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

mops wrote: »
    Hey I have heard books are pretty expensive..how much are we talking and when do we get them?? I will be startng first year in a few weeks. thanks!

You might find you've no books at all!
    It's usually not the same as secondary school in that you have a set book list for each class. Although some courses I suppose, are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Don't buy books unless 100% necessary! The library is the place to go because the prices are extortionate in the book shop on campus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And if ya do have to buy books, try amazon or other online places. Dont go to the campus bookshop, end up financially raped in there/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Anybody know what the booklist is like for the History, Politics and International Relations course?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone know anything about law books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about law books ?

Law books are very expensive, anything from €70 up to 200+. The library is your friend, as are the nutshell books you can buy for €20. Look out for second hand deals, on signs on campus or make friends with some 2nd years. Some people in my class organised book shares, where 3 or 4 bought books together and then shared them - though this did lead to some disagreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Anybody know what the booklist is like for the History, Politics and International Relations course?

I'm repeating what is often said, but UCD is not school. This is one of the first things you'll learn. :)

You don't have a booklist, like in secondary school. You will have recommended readings. In a course like History, Politics and International Relations, I'd imagine the reading list could be quite extensive. In some subjects you're not expected to read it all, others may have a core text that you're expected to buy.

In the first lecture for each module the lecturer will tell you what is expected of you in terms of books/reading. There will be plenty of time after that to get down to study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Law books are very expensive, anything from €70 up to 200+. The library is your friend, as are the nutshell books you can buy for €20. Look out for second hand deals, on signs on campus or make friends with some 2nd years. Some people in my class organised book shares, where 3 or 4 bought books together and then shared them - though this did lead to some disagreements.

Cheers, I don't think I am organised enough to share books with people. My brothers girlfriend just finished her masters in UCD, so she might have some of them, otherwise I guess its about second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zuffer wrote: »
    I'm repeating what is often said, but UCD is not school. This is one of the first things you'll learn. :)

You don't have a booklist, like in secondary school. You will have recommended readings. In a course like History, Politics and International Relations, I'd imagine the reading list could be quite extensive. In some subjects you're not expected to read it all, others may have a core text that you're expected to buy.

In the first lecture for each module the lecturer will tell you what is expected of you in terms of books/reading. There will be plenty of time after that to get down to study.

Yeah, its more a 'recommended reading' list. But for 1 module in 2nd year history, we had 86 books on that list:eek: For the person who originally asked, history and politics will be heavy on reading lists like this, but ya don't have to do it all.

Advertisement