Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postgraduate Diploma in Education

• 16-08-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭

This is probably a question that has been asked on this forum before. I searched and found a few posts that I think answered my question but I just want to be certain.
    I have a Bachelor of Science in Computing (Software Development) Honours and I would like to become a secondary school teacher but if I do the
    Postgraduate Diploma In Education (http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/postgraduate/PGDiplomas/arts/page10.html) I would obviously choose Computer Studies as one of my electives but can I choose say, English, as the other?
    I gave the link to UCC as an example as that is where I would do it in all likelihood if I was going to do it.
    Also, is it possible to do the Postgraduate Diploma part-time (at night)?
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

To do a second subject in the hdip and to be fully qualified in it. ie English, you must have a degree in english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    To do a second subject in the hdip and to be fully qualified in it. ie English, you must have a degree in english.

So I can't get in to do the Postgrad Diploma In Education with just my IT degree?
    Also, what is the difference between the Postgrad Diploma In Education and the Higher Diploma in Education?

lukin wrote: »
    So I can't get in to do the Postgrad Diploma In Education with just my IT degree?
    Also, what is the difference between the Postgrad Diploma In Education and the Higher Diploma in Education?

A postgraduate in ed is for primary teaching. A higher diploma in ed is for secondary. You have to have subjects from the recognised list to do the hdip. You can check them out on the hdip website. I'm not 100% sure about having just IT and wether that would qualify you to do the hdip. Are you intending to teach just IT in schools or do you also have maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

There is no difference. The Postgrad Diploma In Education is the new name for the Higher Diploma in Education. Like most new terms it is taking some time for it to become common currency.

A postgraduate in ed is for primary teaching. A higher diploma in ed is for secondary. You have to have subjects from the recognised list to do the hdip. You can check them out on the hdip website. I'm not 100% sure about having just IT and wether that would qualify you to do the hdip. Are you intending to teach just IT in schools or do you also have maths?

Just IT, I don't have (or want to do) maths.

• Advertisement

Just IT, I don't have (or want to do) maths.

I doubt it will be accepted for the dip and it wouldn't qualify with the teaching council. Though they teach IT in schools, those teachers usually teach maths, physics etc..... You could look it up on the teaching council but i'm 99% sure IT on its own wont suffice. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I doubt it will be accepted for the dip and it wouldn't qualify with the teaching council. Though they teach IT in schools, those teachers usually teach maths, physics etc..... You could look it up on the teaching council but i'm 99% sure IT on its own wont suffice. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

OK, no bother. That puts the lid on it so. Thought I could just do the Postgrad Dip and voila, I'm a teacher. I'm definitely not going back to do another degree after five years doing a Software Dev degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Duffbeer

I have 38 points with my subjects being Classical Studies (G&R) and Geography. Is there any point applying with 38 points as I have seen that the cut-off is 42?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Hey,
    Been checking this out myself and if you did CS, your eligible to teach maths, so I'm afraid thats no good for you!

Advertisement