Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRE test

Options
  • 16-08-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hiya,

I'm planning on going to the States next year to do a postgrad (or at least applying for one!!) and since most of them need GRE scores, I've signed up to take the exam in October (the general one, not the subject specific test). Just wondering if anyone has taken it or is planning on doing it and has any advice? I bought a couple of second hand books off Amazon and have the practice stuff off the website, and to be honest I think that should more than cover me. Seems to be a good bit of repetition in them every year so once you know the basic maths questions and can memorise 100s of bits of vocab, you're ok??

Thanks!!
    :D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I remember two of my friends doing it said to start early and just do loads of practice questions - you can buy books with them in it. It's really a question of practice. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

What he said - just do past exams.

Depending on your field and the prestige of your department, you could expect that various parts are less important. Most courses list the average/minimum GRE score breakdown from the last few years of successful applicants.

The math section is quite easy, the vocab - if its important for you to do well - can be tricky. The list of words is known and out there, so you can study those if you wish.

Advertisement