Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me why UPC broadband is not available in wicklow

Options
  • 16-08-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Basically where I live (new house)there is UPC tv pionts in the master bedroom and the dowstairs living room.There is UPC manhole covers outside the house and Digital + and HD is available.Now how is broadband not available as they use TV space for broadband? Are eircom blocking them getting a licence to do this ,whats the story? I can't get a straight answer from UPC and there is no way im gonna line the pockets of eircom investers with line rental then get charged another 25 quid to share a line with the rest of the county

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Moving this to Broadband, where I think it's better suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Broadband needs a differenet kind of trunk amplifier* every point of the cable back to the head end. The headend needs a DOCSIS CMTS, router and data backhaul.

It's just a part UPC hasn't finished upgrading yet. I doubt CS has any date though.

No conspiracy. When UPC took over from Chorus and NTL very little of the network could support Broadband.

(*I'll not bore you with technical details).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Basically where I live (new house)there is UPC tv pionts in the master bedroom and the dowstairs living room.There is UPC manhole covers outside the house and Digital + and HD is available.Now how is broadband not available as they use TV space for broadband? Are eircom blocking them getting a licence to do this ,whats the story? I can't get a straight answer from UPC and there is no way im gonna line the pockets of eircom investers with line rental then get charged another 25 quid to share a line with the rest of the county

UPC provide two different types of digital television, Cable and MMDS, they can provide broadband over most of the cable network, but not on the MMDS network, which is wireless.

Most of Wicklow is MMDS, the exception being Bray which is cabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd be surprised if there is HD on MMDS.
    Though what you say about MMDS is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

UPC provide two different types of digital television, Cable and MMDS, they can provide broadband over most of the cable network, but not on the MMDS network, which is wireless.

Most of Wicklow is MMDS, the exception being Bray which is cabled.

There are some MMDS to cable networks that are triple play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DingDong wrote: »
    There are some MMDS to cable networks that are triple play.

But not in ireland, yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

But not in ireland, yet...
    No in Ireland, A few UPC MMDS to cable networks are triple play and work very well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Greystones is MMDS and (in Charlesland at least) BB is available alongside phone and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I wouldnt imagine it will be long before HD will be availavble on MMDS. There's an MMDS estate in Newcastle Co Dublin which is also MMDS fed and has BB and Phone

Advertisement