Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Close to my new Baby Girl

Options
  • 16-08-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I'm a week old father (i.e. my little girl Lily is one week old as opposed to what you might be thinking) and my wife is bonding really well with our daughter mainly through breast feeding so I feel a liitle bit in the cold.

Don't enjoy spending too much time in the bedroom as it's clostraphobic and stuffy up there. We're not bottle feeding yet so I want to get advice on how I can grow closer to Lily asap. I know that when she can see clearly and smile it will be better but any tips would be appreciated.

God bless,

Phil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Just because you are not nursing her that doens't mean you can't change, wash and dress her, that level of phyicsal contact of caring also helps with the bonding, or just holding her and rocking her to sleep or you could look up about baby massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OP my only memory of that time is that the first couple of weeks seemed to go on forever. Once your DD gets into a routine there will be plenty of time for bonding and getting more involved.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

After BFing she could go to sleep on your chest, skin to skin contact is great for bonding in the early days. Great days those first few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Just because you are not nursing her that doens't mean you can't change, wash and dress her, that level of phyicsal contact of caring also helps with the bonding, or just holding her and rocking her to sleep or you could look up about baby massage.

Yeah! And take her for long walks so mommy can sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i was breast feeding so all my OH got to do was nappies, holding, cuddling, winding...etc but it worked their bond is stronger than ever!

the best thing you can do to be close to her is to hold her and cuddle her, ours is 6 weeks old and she loves smiling at her daddy and her eyes follow him when he's in the room and talking,

just enjoy being with your lily, its the best feeling in the world for a daddy according to my OH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have two kids myself. Mother and baby will be the only show in town for about 6 months especially if she is breastfeeding. After that babies tend to start looking outwards and you willl be first in line. I found with both mine that it was about 6 months before they start to react to seeing you. In the meantime give her a bath and go for walks with her to give your OH a bit of a break. Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Congrats. :)

Nothing you can do about the nursing time.

You can easily take her out for strolls, and just bags her for general you time while your partner rests up.

I think the bonding thing is a bit overrated. You will all the time you want with her in the medium and long-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Congrats.
    Relax and dont stress too much about it if possible these things can take. I am a lone parent to one son, Bf him and we didnt bond properly till he was six months. I suffered from mild post natal depression and was bitter that I was my own this slowed down the bonding process immensly. Evry situation is different it can just take a little time, they are worth it though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

i'm a father to a 6 month old girl, it is very frustrating when she is on the breast to get what you will feel as a strong bond.

What really got me down was holding her, she would wake up, get hungry and start crying and I had no choice but to pass her over to my wife.

But don't get down about it, get involved with all the other stuff .. bath time especially, and when you are changing nappies she will be transfixed on you as you are leaning over her !!

When the smiles come it will be all forgotten about, what will be difficult is when you get up for work in the morning and you have to walk out the door on a toothless grin for the day while you go to work !!! but that very same grin in the evening makes it all worth while!!

Advertisement