Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless booster?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I have a normal wireless router which I use for internet in my house. Is not sufficient to reach all round the house though.

I need some sort of booster to extend the wireless to all parts of the house.

Anyone know what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It depends on the router you have. Some models have a bridge mode where they talk to another wireless router (usually has to be another of the same make) and in this way extend coverage. There are downsides, usually you half your bandwidth.

But not all router support that. Have a look in your routers manual to see if it supports it, and if it does then look and find out how to do it and buy another one.

If it does not support it then get one of the 'N' routers, they provide good coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

A router with DD-WRT supports wireless repeater mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

BigEejit wrote: »
    It depends on the router you have. Some models have a bridge mode where they talk to another wireless router (usually has to be another of the same make) and in this way extend coverage. There are downsides, usually you half your bandwidth.

But not all router support that. Have a look in your routers manual to see if it supports it, and if it does then look and find out how to do it and buy another one.
    Thats not quite correct. All routers can be "extended". The wireless router at the point of net access does not need bridging capabilities. It's the box you use to extend the wireless that needs it. Doesn't need to be the same make but if it uses the same chipset, it's better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Thats not quite correct. All routers can be "extended". The wireless router at the point of net access does not need bridging capabilities. It's the box you use to extend the wireless that needs it. Doesn't need to be the same make but if it uses the same chipset, it's better.
    Usually the router needs to be running one of the XX-WRT firmwares (or tomato / other homebrew type firmwares) which very very few people run or it needs to be an expensive router that is not normally supplied by ISP's.

Fat chance of getting a joe bloggs Dlink or Netgear or whatever eircom supply to bridge.

• Advertisement

BigEejit wrote: »
    Fat chance of getting a joe bloggs Dlink or Netgear or whatever eircom supply to bridge.

You're not understanding this:rolleyes:
    The gateway, i.e the Netopia or whatever the router is that is connected to the internet, does not need to be capable of bridging. Its the extender or repeater that needs bridging capabilities. The Netopia simply communicates with the extender the same as it connects to any wireless card etc.

Why do you think otherwise?:confused:

Just to prove my point (at least to myself), I have an AP repeater set up here (like an extender) that picks up the signal from the bog standard Eircom Netopia router and re-sends the signal to other areas of the house.

Doh, you are correct, bridge for joining two lans, repeater for extending wireless network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I've a similar problem to the OP. I've moved into a house beside our college and in my room I can pick up the college wifi. It's not robbing wifi as i'm a registered student and paying for the service, even have to login on it. But I'm the only room than can get it... can someone link me to something (cheap as possible) that I could put in my room to redistribute the signal within the house without having to leave my pc on?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

What I posted above should be sufficient unless your covering large campus grounds areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You're not understanding this:rolleyes:
    The gateway, i.e the Netopia or whatever the router is that is connected to the internet, does not need to be capable of bridging. Its the extender or repeater that needs bridging capabilities. The Netopia simply communicates with the extender the same as it connects to any wireless card etc.

Why do you think otherwise?:confused:

Just to prove my point (at least to myself), I have an AP repeater set up here (like an extender) that picks up the signal from the bog standard Eircom Netopia router and re-sends the signal to other areas of the house.

Where did you pick up the AP repeater? and how much did you pay?thanks:D

• Advertisement

It was part of a shipment I got from http://www.ferimex.com/en/ in Slovakia.
    Its a SparkLAN WAPR-141. I think they were 49 E + vat and shipping. I have few of them here surplus (used).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

A router with DD-WRT supports wireless repeater mode.

Has anybody bought off these guys? Any other links to routers that would work are very welcome! Maybe something a bit cheaper...?

Advertisement