Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection very slow?!?!?!

Options
  • 16-08-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HTPC in the living room using a wifi connection to my Netopia 2247NWG router upstairs connected to my main PC via ethernet cable.

The problem in the past few days is the speeds via wifi is terrible, like 20kb/s. i tested on speednet confirms this. I just tested my speeds on the main PC via speednet and i'm geting:

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/541390111.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]541390111.png

So it begs the question, what the hell is that all about then?

Any help would be appriciated guys, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Using Windows vista on both pc's when testing. Before is was getting 600-700kbps via the HTPC wifi now its down to about 20-50kbps! Very strange indeed.

Anyone with an idea why this is happening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What speed should you be getting? A Wifi connection is not a reliable way to determine broadband speed, as it adds a huge degree of uncertainty to the results. Since your router is upstairs, and the HTPC downstairs, interference, distance and the walls/floors are going to reduce signal quality.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if there are any new wireless networks near you?

download netstumbler to help here.

Also try changing your wireless channel.

Any possible that anyone has broken your security and could be using your network?

Any new wireless gizmos in the house lately?

I have a few theories dub45. Bought Sennhiser RS130's there awhile back. But my speeds where not immediatley affected by this, also moved well out of the way of the HTPC and it didn't improve speeds at all. So i reckon that is ruled out.

I recently connected a XBOX wireless controller to the HTPC, i played about with it last night; eg plugged out/in during downloads to test. But it made no difference either. Regarding the security - i will check this out but a have WPA-PSK enabled. Wil also check with netstumbler.

jor_el - your right walls and the like will cause problems. But the positioning of the equipment has not changed but the speeds via wifi on the HTPC is well down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jor_el - your right walls and the like will cause problems. But the positioning of the equipment has not changed but the speeds via wifi on the HTPC is well down.

No, but with walls and floors to go through, your signal is already weakened, and then any interference (even small) could be enough to cause bigger problems.

• Advertisement

Ok so tried every channel under the sun and still no joy. Although web browsing is fine. Downloading is craptastic! I've moved to the main PC to download for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I went through several wireless channels over the course of the last 3 years since i moved into my house (as more and more 2.4ghz devices appeared in the neighbouring houses) and eventually gave up altogether and just drilled two wholes in the wall where I wanted them and ran ethernet cable outside between the two points to join the two halves of my network together so i could get rid of wifi altogether, aside from on a couple of devices that needed it.

i had to get rid of my video sender too and run a cable to the TV upstairs for the same reason. you wouldn't believe how much stuff there is on the 2.4ghz frequency. can't wait to see what happens when the nerds confirm 100% that it's giving us all brain cancer and we have to ditch it all!

^^ You could be on to something there vibe666. I have noticed extra wireless networks on my street. But in saying that they are there for some months now and my issue only came up about 2 weeks ago.

I got my hands on a discarded HP Compaq DC7100 CMT case from work. All it needs are hard drives and an OS. Might set up a media network if i can get my head around networking.

Advertisement