Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duleek combines4charity

• 16-08-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Did anyone go to this?
    Living in Balbriggan and we had a good solid inch of rain on Friday night so assumed it wouldn't be on.. Went down to Kilkenny to visit the folks and throw around some 5 x 2 shutters instead.
    Did they cut much? Quality must be crap with all the water it got..
    On a side note on the way back up the M1 saw what appeared to be a combine heading southbound on the M1 def not on a low loader :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

I was there .Rain stopped around 10 and combines started lining up at 1.It took hours but it was all worth it to see them all cutting .Best day ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Yeah it really was great to see it. The MC said the moisture was around 22% which was much better than i expected it to be. In fairness though it did blow up into a lovely day after and there was great drying out so that would have brought things on a lot. I think it was about 100 acres they cut, took about 20 mins!! A great day for Irish farming and a great day for Ireland!!!! (as the MC said about 10 million times!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah it really was great to see it. The MC said the moisture was around 22% which was much better than i expected it to be. In fairness though it did blow up into a lovely day after and there was great drying out so that would have brought things on a lot. I think it was about 100 acres they cut, took about 20 mins!! A great day for Irish farming and a great day for Ireland!!!! (as the MC said about 10 million times!)

It was drizzling upto about 11.30 but cleared up nicely alright, great drying with the wind, although looked like rain a few times.

You mustn't have been near the top of the field, because we couldn't hear anything over the sound system.
    He was even interviewing someone in front of us and we couldn't hear it.
    Maybe we were lucky :D

Beautiful sight to see at the end of the day :D

I am not allowed discuss …

We were about half way down the field, near the teleporter with the video camera. Believe me not being able to hear him was a blessing in disguise. He spent 99% of his time talking absolute sh1te!!! I thought they'd never get going so we could stop listening to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was up near the top where they were coming into the section they were going to cut.
    They made a bags of it, because they hadn't setup the barriers and had to move people to get the combines in.
    Then the guards arrived and were trying to push people back just before the start.

They were meant to start at 3 according to one of the drivers.
    One fellow reckoned the farmer was trying to get the last ounce of drying before letting them loose.
    They were lucky it didn't rain, becuase it was close at about 4pm.

Anyway good day and a few quid raised for some good causes.
    Also damm lucky I didn't wear a Mayo top what with all the Meath folk about. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah the amount of meath flags was a bit annoying alright. Feckin meath! :p I'd say they could have started earlier if they wanted. I couldn't understand why they got all the combines to line up along the fence and leave them there for ages before moving them into position. Why not just send them straight over to the far side of the field and have stewards over there to direct them into position?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

Usual story at these things too many chiefs and not enough indians.The headland near the cement factory was in an awful state and that was probably why the combines down there had to go back around the long way.I suppose its very hard to plan for a one off event with so many variables and the last thing you needed was to lose out on the record because somebody forgot to dot the i,s and cross the t,s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 D.Watson

Had my 3 Meath flags up.:)

The headland near the cement factory was wet alright I was in the first group to go thru and was fairly dodgy, obviously got worse after.

Think they held off for so long to let everything dry as much as possible which is fair enough but if that shower had fallen...........

All in all it was a well organised event considering nobody had experience of doing this before.

Moving combine in the previous evening was extremly effecient.
    When our convoy of about 30 arrived they knew exactly who was in it 2 lane s entering the field someone to take your trolley away and a designated place to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 masse5455

seen a picture of it 2day on the front of the farming independent why was there a trctor and slurry tank follow the combines

I wasn't too sure about that either. The best guess I could think of was that the tankers were carrying water in case a combine went on fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

it was class to see it, even if you could only see a little bit of it, looked spectacular from the air though.

It was a great day to be Irish, and a great day for Irish farming....... :rolleyes:.............. ah well he kept us entertained I suppose!

Advertisement