Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking pipe behind washing machine - help please!

Options
  • 16-08-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

The pipe behind my washing machine is leaking quite badly from the rubber seal in the ground, is the seal rotten or are there other possible causes?

th_IMG_0121.jpg
    th_IMG_0119.jpg

Is it possible for the average joe to replace this seal and if so what is it's name?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

With the type of connection that is , i might be way off the mark but is there a possibility your drains are backed up ? and water is coming back up . As i said i might be way off. Is there a few manholes around your house you can pull up and see if they are full or running freely?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

just trying to look at the photograph, it looks as if you've got a
    4" (100mm) pipe (orange) (just visible in photo)
    cut at ground level then the 50mm poly out of that with
    black silicon "sealing the gap" is this correct?

looks like hair etc could be blocking your drain, have a look at that first

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

outkast i'd say your correct i'd go for the drain option

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I've checked the manhole outside (I live in an estate) and it appears unblocked.
    When the washing machine is turned on the water gushes up from around the black seal, is the seal a moulded piece or is it like caulk?

Thanks again folks, we have a baby due in a month and money is tight - if we can avoid paying a plumber we'd be very happy!

you should have some drain covers around your house usually at back and sides of house usually black plastic square ones you can get up. check if you run your sink or whatever is near the washing machine does the water show up in manhole.
    well easy way to check is the black rubber fitting that the white pipe is sticking into.That black rubber should be able to be pulled out and if there is dead water sitting in the 4 inch brown pipe then its a drain issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

It's been a while since I plumbed a washing machine, perhaps you might look at the manual I think the waste pipe should stand at 600mm, in the photo it looks closer to 300mm.

It looks like water is travelling up the wall which may be coming out of the top of the pipe as the connection between the white and grey pipe does not look very secure.

That said I am inclined to go with OutKast and De_Man, perhaps you could take the grey pipe out of the white and use a coat hanger in the white pipe to see if it is blocked.

There is no trap (like under the sink) to prevent fluff and soap build up where the white pipe enters the 4" pipe.

If you can find the drain as OutKast suggested it may be easy to clear, if not dismantle it inside and clear the drain from there.

Allow yourself some time it shouldn't be hard to do.

Thanks folks - the advice is very much appreciated!

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi,

It's been a while since I plumbed a washing machine, perhaps you might look at the manual I think the waste pipe should stand at 600mm, in the photo it looks closer to 300mm.

It looks like water is travelling up the wall which may be coming out of the top of the pipe as the connection between the white and grey pipe does not look very secure.

That said I am inclined to go with OutKast and De_Man, perhaps you could take the grey pipe out of the white and use a coat hanger in the white pipe to see if it is blocked.

There is no trap (like under the sink) to prevent fluff and soap build up where the white pipe enters the 4" pipe.

If you can find the drain as OutKast suggested it may be easy to clear, if not dismantle it inside and clear the drain from there.

Allow yourself some time it shouldn't be hard to do.

Well spotted that waste pipe is shorter than it should be i would usually bring them up to a a few inches below the top of the machine whatever height that is .
    There is no trap but washing machines do have a filter to help prevent a buildup in the wastepipe . sure try the steps suggested and get back to us

Well I've found a smaller manhole cover outside and no water runs through it when the tap in the Kitchen is on - when I run the tap the pipe fills up.
    Unfortunately I can't rod it from the inside of the house due to the position of the pipe behind the units.
    I've put some draino down the pipe but it isn't working and I only have a couple of rods - anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Did you try to run any rods back up the pipes that lead into the manhole ?

I expect you were looking at an armstrong junction, brown plastic it may have two levels, the lower level usually runs on to the main manhole, the upper level is usually where gully traps and pipes similar to the one under the sink enter.

Are there any white pipes coming out the wall and into a gully trap ?

The waste pipe from the sink usually goes through the wall and the waste water flows into gully, if I read your post correctly the pipe with the washing machine hose is what leaked when you ran the sink ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

mrplop wrote: »
    Well I've found a smaller manhole cover outside and no water runs through it when the tap in the Kitchen is on - when I run the tap the pipe fills up.
    Unfortunately I can't rod it from the inside of the house due to the position of the pipe behind the units.
    I've put some draino down the pipe but it isn't working and I only have a couple of rods - anyone have any suggestions?

How far away from the house is the manhole?
    Could you clear the blockage from that end?

If it was me at this stage id take out the white pipe and black rubber thats stuck into the 4 inch pipe and try and clear it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mrplop wrote: »

You can rent extra rods from places like A-Z. You can also buy a "snake" from Woodies and other places. I'd also try soda crystals, top with a tiny bit of boiling water, leave overnight, then flush with lots of boiling water, rinse and repeat. Before doing that though, take out the grey tube from the washing machine and take a look down - a friend ended up with a sock down there once (no, I have no idea how they managed that).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I would agree, a blockage is the problem, I assume that the 4 inch pipe runs in to a gully or is trapped, otherwise your utility room would stink. The blockage may be there.

I agree with above poster about breaking bad connection at floor level, regardless of blockage, this problem needs to be addressed. The quick, cheapest way to get a rubber bung, that will reduce the 4" pipe to 1 1/2 and create a very good watertight seal.

Advertisement