Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal detector things in the Eye Cinema

Options
  • 16-08-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

In the Eye Cinema, after you get your food you then meet the 'ticket inspector' person thing, where you then either proceed to the bar or the screens.

At this spot, there's those metal/tag detector things that you'd have at a shop entrance - WTF is up with that? Are they chocolate detectors, so that you can't sneak in your own munchies? :pac: Or do they pick-up the metal in cameras or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They are brain numbing devices.
    When courtin' a new lass and being a "good boy" you can pay a bit extra on the ticket price to get a shot from them.
    This then allows you to sit through Matthew Mcconaugheys latest rom-com, safe in knowledge that the brain numbing will have worn off by morning.

They're there so people won't steal the 3d Glasses. In most places you are allowed to keep the glasses and some even allow you to reuse them so that you don't have to pay for the glasses each time. Of course being the Eye you pay to rent them and will often get a filthy smudged pair of glasses which make watching the film very difficult. I've started bringing my own pair of 3d glasses with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

They're there so people won't steal the 3d Glasses. In most places you are allowed to keep the glasses and some even allow you to reuse them so that you don't have to pay for the glasses each time. Of course being the Eye you pay to rent them and will often get a filthy smudged pair of glasses which make watching the film very difficult. I've started bringing my own pair of 3d glasses with me.

That makes no sense. You're still paying to get the glasses anyway.

That makes no sense. You're still paying to get the glasses anyway.

It makes perfect sense/ I know that if I bring my own pair I can be guaranteed that they are not broken, smudged or sticky after kids have had them.

It makes perfect sense/ I know that if I bring my own pair I can be guaranteed that they are not broken, smudged or sticky after kids have had them.

Ever think about just registering a complaint?

• Advertisement

Ever think about just registering a complaint?

Myself and a number of others have done so and were told that there's nothing they could do about it. By bringing my own pair I know that I don't have to worry about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

the eyecinema's 'employees' are actually slaves. they have tags on their ankles that give them electric shocks when they try to escape. poor bastards. :(

Myself and a number of others have done so and were told that there's nothing they could do about it. By bringing my own pair I know that I don't have to worry about anything.

You were really told there was nothing that could be done? Jesus that sounds weird. Staff in there have always been helpful anytime i've gone. Was it a manager or a member of staff that told you this?

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    the eyecinema's 'employees' are actually slaves. they have tags on their ankles that give them electric shocks when they try to escape. poor bastards. :(

If that were the case would it not make more sense to put the scanners at the exits.

They're there so people won't steal the 3d Glasses. In most places you are allowed to keep the glasses and some even allow you to reuse them so that you don't have to pay for the glasses each time. Of course being the Eye you pay to rent them and will often get a filthy smudged pair of glasses which make watching the film very difficult.I've started bringing my own pair of 3d glasses with me

How many movies require 3D glasses, this a new thing?... from the sounds of it, quite a lot are using it :confused:

• Advertisement

You were really told there was nothing that could be done? Jesus that sounds weird. Staff in there have always been helpful anytime i've gone. Was it a manager or a member of staff that told you this?

Manager, as he said they can't use new glasses every showing and it's up to people to look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Can they not just clean the glasses periodically? :confused: Or is that too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Could be for detecting video cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What kind of glasses are they, the polarizing kind of ones, or the red & green ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Could be for detecting video cameras?

That's what i'm guessing, but for the amount of metal in a video camera (not a lot) then the alarms could be going off the whole time because of belts/chains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't think they're metal detectors, they look more like those alarms that they have in shops. I'm guessing the 3D glasses have some sort of a security tag built in that set the alarms off; like the security tags on clothes and other items in shops.

KevR wrote: »
    I don't think they're metal detectors, they look more like those alarms that they have in shops.
    Yup, your dead right
    I'm guessing the 3D glasses have some sort of a security tag built in that set the alarms off; like the security tags on clothes and other items in shops.
    Makes sense now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

They are indeed there to stop the theft of the 3D Glasses. Speaking of which i see Final Destination will be in 3D so here's hoping it should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Steyr wrote: »
    They are indeed there to stop the theft of the 3D Glasses. Speaking of which i see Final Destination will be in 3D so here's hoping it should be good.

Final Destination?!! :eek: Are they still floggin that heap o'sh!te?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was thinking of going to that as my first 3D film.

• Advertisement

Steyr - Nice sig, have copied it to print off a few copies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

What kind of glasses are they, the polarizing kind of ones, or the red & green ones?

Polarizing, fairly rugged plastic ones at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Steyr - Nice sig, have copied it to print off a few copies

No Problem.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Steyr - Nice sig
    No Problem.:)

Get a room...

'c:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko