Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Biology & Medicine

Options
  • 16-08-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Howdy,

I would like to make a complaint about a moderator in this forum (sam34).

See thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650030

I posted the content of the following link and it was removed:

http://www.naturalnews.com/022840.html

Then I get banned for "questioning mod decision" after I say I felt that I was treated unfairly.

I feel that this is a bit heavy handed and uncalled for. The moderators in this forum are excessively harsh.

Could somebody look into this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You were warned for posting up non-substantiated comments.
    samson09,

we've asked you repeatedly on this forum NOT to copy and paste stuff, presenting it as fact, without any discussion of the content therein.

that article is one person's opinion and does not provide any links to any reliable evidence to back it up.

you've been banned from here before. if you post again in this manner you'll be banned again.

You then dragged the thread off topic by trying to tackle them mod on the comment. It's far from the first time that's happened either, as you know from your previous experiences and bans in this forum - so it's far from the first time you've done this.

In future, I'd recommend using PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

"Nice to see everyone beong treated equally, oh well rolleyes.gif" is more of an observation than anything else, I did not say that the mod was wrong for deleting my post and was not questioning the mods decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we have been particularly leniant with samson09 since he started frequenting bio+med.

other fora would have him permabanned by now.

the ususal pattern is of linking to spurious sites, or posting heavily biased opinion pieces as fact, or spouting conspiracy theory stuff.

we generally just edit out the (ir)relevant bits and issue a warning about what is and is not tolerated on a SCIENTIFIC discussion forum.

we've had to do this repeatedly with samson.

he's been banned before for persistently ignoring this(and for general trolling)

today's post was just another copy and paste job, with no discussion whatsoever of the content. it was also scare-mongering.

after i deleted it, samson then proceeded to attempt to derail the thread by commenting on my decision.

that's what led to the ban.

i have no doubt whatsoever that i should have deleted that post.

for what it's worth, there is another post of his in another thread that i feel should be deleted, but i'm not 100% sure, so I have asked my co-mods for advice on it, so it is not the case that samson is being treated unfairly and with less tolerance than other users.

as i said, the repeated ignoring of mod instructions would have him permabanned from many other fora by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

As with all bannings on the forum, it was a decision between the 3 mods. Sam34 just hot the ban button.

Sampson09 is far and away the most problematic poster on the forum. And that's saying a lot. Most people want to come in and vent their anger on the loaded fat cat doctors, they get bored and go away.

But Sampson09 just keeps coming back and never adds anything to the discussion.

It's actually not his fault. He's not a troll. On the forum, we have a policy of not banning people if we can in any way help it. But, we've decided as a group that sampson's next banning will be his last.

But this is easy to rectify. It can be sorted out.

On the forum we ask that if people make claims that are outlandish, in terms of conventional wisdom, that they back up these assertions with good solid scientific evidence. That's why it's in the science forum.

Sampson regularly rolls in, and says something like "drug companies put HIV in vaccines" or "vaccines give you autism" or "scientology can cure your autism". I'm paraphrasing here, of course.

He then sits back and tells the forum users that it's up to them to disprove them. This was explained to him when he started to post, but he never listened. I have a policy personally of not interacting with him, but he rubs people up the wrong way.

The thing is, he believes everything he says. He has no scientific training, and doesn't read the journals, and he doesn't understand the underlying basis of what he's saying. He's not alone. There's a lot of credible looking stuff on the net, and a lot of unscrupulous people out there. He quotes continuously to www.naturalnews.com which is a website that's considered quite "out there" even in the alternative medicine world. But sampson09 takes everything they write as being gospel. Again, it's not his fault. He's NOT a troll y any means. He really believes us medics are out there to hurt people, and he's doing society a favour in trying to stop us.

I genuinely have no problem with that. Every doctor has met lots of people like him, and you just have to accept that the world is made of all sorts.

But bio+med is not the place for it.

So, the choice is there, sampson. Start debating the SCIENCE, and you'll be welcome. You've been told that lots.

But the next time you get a ban it will be permanent. I'm sorry it's come to that, but we really have no other option at this stage.

sam34 wrote: »
    we have been particularly leniant with samson09 since he started frequenting bio+med.

other fora would have him permabanned by now.

the ususal pattern is of linking to spurious sites, or posting heavily biased opinion pieces as fact, or spouting conspiracy theory stuff.

we generally just edit out the (ir)relevant bits and issue a warning about what is and is not tolerated on a SCIENTIFIC discussion forum.

we've had to do this repeatedly with samson.

he's been banned before for persistently ignoring this(and for general trolling)

today's post was just another copy and paste job, with no discussion whatsoever of the content. it was also scare-mongering.

after i deleted it, samson then proceeded to attempt to derail the thread by commenting on my decision.

that's what led to the ban.

i have no doubt whatsoever that i should have deleted that post.

for what it's worth, there is another post of his in another thread that i feel should be deleted, but i'm not 100% sure, so I have asked my co-mods for advice on it, so it is not the case that samson is being treated unfairly and with less tolerance than other users.

as i said, the repeated ignoring of mod instructions would have him permabanned from many other fora by now.

You're taking this modding business far too seriously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    As with all bannings on the forum, it was a decision between the 3 mods. Sam34 just hot the ban button.

Sampson09 is far and away the most problematic poster on the forum. And that's saying a lot. Most people want to come in and vent their anger on the loaded fat cat doctors, they get bored and go away.

Problematic because I usually post about natural medicine . Although the moderators of the forum state they are glad to talk about natural medicine, this just doesnt happen. They will only talk about it if the OP has access to full scientifiic papers and is willing to go through the entire paper themselves. The normal results and conclusions are not enough.

Generally natural medicine is labelled as quackery in the Bio/Med forum. It's pretty much impossible for anyone, not only myself, to talk about it.

But Sampson09 just keeps coming back and never adds anything to the discussion.

It's actually not his fault. He's not a troll. On the forum, we have a policy of not banning people if we can in any way help it. But, we've decided as a group that sampson's next banning will be his last.

I'm not a troll? Better tell sam34 (see sam34's post above)

But this is easy to rectify. It can be sorted out.

On the forum we ask that if people make claims that are outlandish, in terms of conventional wisdom, that they back up these assertions with good solid scientific evidence. That's why it's in the science forum.

I've given scientific evidence in plenty of my posts. Generally I'm asked to go through the entire paper, even though I have no access to the full paper. Otherwise the post is ignored.

Sampson regularly rolls in, and says something like

"drug companies put HIV in vaccines" -I posted a link about Bayer distributing medication contaminated with the HIV virus. This actually happened.
    See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnEaO3yumk

"vaccines give you autism" vaccines have been linked with autism in a number of people who receive vaccinations. There is a lot of debate about this at the moment and I actually posted relevant scientific research to support my point. Again, because I dont have access to the full papers, my opinion was rubbished.

or "scientology can cure your autism". I have never mentioned or referred to scientology in any of my posts :confused:

He then sits back and tells the forum users that it's up to them to disprove them. This was explained to him when he started to post, but he never listened. I have a policy personally of not interacting with him, but he rubs people up the wrong way.

The thing is, he believes everything he says (not necessarily true). He has no scientific training (yes I do), and doesn't read the journals(I dont have access to scientific journals, like the majority of people), and he doesn't understand the underlying basis of what he's saying (yes I do). He's not alone. There's a lot of credible looking stuff on the net, and a lot of unscrupulous people out there. He quotes continuously to www.naturalnews.com which is a website that's considered quite "out there" even in the alternative medicine world (no it isnt, it's only considered quite "out there" by people who believe natural medicine is a load of nonsense. Much of whats posted on the site is just regurgitating recent scientific research. Take a look!) . But sampson09 takes everything they write as being gospel. Again, it's not his fault. He's NOT a troll y any means. He really believes us medics are out there to hurt people, and he's doing society a favour in trying to stop us. I have stated time and time again that I think that doctors have their patients best interests at heart. I dont think that any medical professional would set out to hurt anybody intentionally. I highlight the corruption and dangers involved in conventional medicine, two things that have been accepted to be true in other posts in the forum. I post because I'm interested in the topics.

I genuinely have no problem with that. Every doctor has met lots of people like him, and you just have to accept that the world is made of all sorts.

But bio+med is not the place for it.

So, the choice is there, sampson. Start debating the SCIENCE, and you'll be welcome. You've been told that lots. Yes, and I've told you I dont have access to full scientific papers all the time, so I guess thats out of the question. Even when I have debated the science, its been ignored. This happened recently in the swine flu thread (papers from WHO about the use of adjuvants).

But the next time you get a ban it will be permanent. I'm sorry it's come to that, but we really have no other option at this stage.

The problem here is that I bring up topics that clash with your belief system. You believe your way is right, I believe my way is right. Discussion is usually impossible because I cant access full scientific papers.

Its loud and clear that I am genuinely despised on the forum, I cant even post headline news from mainstream newspapers without being labelled as a scaremongerer. I wont bother ye anymore, I'm sure you dont want to waste anymore of your time and I'm done wasting mine. Best of luck to you ;).

Advertisement