Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fence *The Gardening Forum Off Topic and Chat Thread

Options
  • 16-08-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

neighbors703772.jpg

You get the idea.......:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

So this weekend has involved crap all to do with gardening, veggies or anything similar. Apart from a quick check over at the allotment, and a bit of harvesting yesterday. It's been a hectic few weeks in work and to be fair I'm bollixed.

Bed was my home today, with occasional visits to the kitchen to make tea.Wifey was working so it was, Sky Sports and the cats. Feel so much better for it too. Ready to take on the world lol, well until tomorrow morning that is.

How was everyone else's weekend?

wife going to Poland
    roll on the weekend of DVD's, takeaway and a poker night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just back from 2.5 weeks back in Ireland and England. It rained most of the time while I was away, and my front garden looks, frankly, like a sh1t tip. :( I have weeds everywhere. Will have to get hoeing this weekend, BIG STYLE. God it looks awful. Not to mention the planting I have left to do. Ah well, at least the ground will be nice and workable after all that rain...

Right. It's just not funny now. Surveyed the garden in daylight. There's a pile of work to be done this weekend, and it's due to be 13 degrees, lashing rain and blowing a gale. How the hell do I convince myself to go out in that??!!

i was wondering who you were MAJD until I checked. New user names always confuse me.

• Advertisement

SSSSsshhhh, I'm in cognito.... Wherever that is.

Shamefully, didn't get into the garden over the weekend. Too cold and wet. This weekend should be better, so may do some then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I just managed to get the front savannah garden cut in between rainfalls. WD40 is the only way to go when cutting these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like your new username MAJD :)

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to gardening but I do enjoy it. I have my first veggie patch this year and so far it's going well - I go on caterpillar safari every morning and throw the greedy beggars off my leafy greens. I've been growing cherry tomatoes on the patio for years and they've never been as slow to ripen as this year.

Doeas anyone else feel this summer was all work and no play in the garden? There were so few days when you could even sit out and read because of the wind and rain.

delly wrote: »
    I just managed to get the front savannah garden cut in between rainfalls. WD40 is the only way to go when cutting these days.

WD40 when used as a fuel for a flamethrower to burn al the crap away man. It's been a nightmare. Been very slow for a lot of things. Apart from work that is which is meaning I'm getting less and less time to spend outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Is anyone else dealing with a jungle?

The weather has been so bad my garden is so overgrown.. great to see everything in flower, but the grass is now so long.

I've just started a new job and am finding it hard to keep up with the jobs in the garden. I'm off next weekend so hopefully can at least get the grass cut.

I also have about 6 wild/feral cats that live under the shed next door, they eat next door then my garden is their toilet!!! Nice!! so it doesn't encourage gardening as they are now working on pulling up all my weed guard and scattering the bark mulch everywhere!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

WD40 when used as a fuel for a flamethrower to burn al the crap away man. It's been a nightmare. Been very slow for a lot of things. Apart from work that is which is meaning I'm getting less and less time to spend outdoors.

Lol, i meant spraying the underside of the lawnmower and collection box to stop the grass sticking, but I like the way your thinking. Flamethrowers and gardening, its a winning combination!

I've planted about 50 plants in my heavy clay soil, and every time I planted something I learned a better trick and better method of dealing with the soil I have. This, however, means that a few things in the first sort of, 10-15 items that I planted have started to die off, between poor soil and conditions too harsh for them, I got the root bowl wrong a few times, and in others they just didn't take our unusually severe winter or I positioned them wrong.

The upshot: springtime, do over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

foxinsox wrote: »
    I also have about 6 wild/feral cats that live under the shed next door, they eat next door then my garden is their toilet!!! Nice!! so it doesn't encourage gardening as they are now working on pulling up all my weed guard and scattering the bark mulch everywhere!!! :mad:

Two of my neighbours behind me have cats and they use part of my front garden as a toilet. Cats are the enemy of the gardener :mad:

My grass is (too) long and lush too - it's growing like mad with all this rain.

ok enough with the on-topic-ness

is anyone else going on holidays in 3 weeks? :)

delly wrote: »
    Lol, i meant spraying the underside of the lawnmower and collection box to stop the grass sticking, but I like the way your thinking. Flamethrowers and gardening, its a winning combination!

i actually have one of those flamethrower yokeys. Well it's actually a propane can attached to a long metal tube, but flamethrower sounds much more sexy and cool. Useful for the patio and driveway weeds, anything broad leafed. Not so suitable for grass......or allotments

ok enough with the on-topic-ness

is anyone else going on holidays in 3 weeks? :)

No, but at a wild guess I'd say you might be :p

Go on, make us jealous - where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I've planted about 50 plants in my heavy clay soil, and every time I planted something I learned a better trick and better method of dealing with the soil I have. This, however, means that a few things in the first sort of, 10-15 items that I planted have started to die off, between poor soil and conditions too harsh for them, I got the root bowl wrong a few times, and in others they just didn't take our unusually severe winter or I positioned them wrong.

The upshot: springtime, do over.

Care to share some of your tips re planting in heavy clay ?

Secman

Very nice - bet you can't wait.

How fabulous is that blue sky today! I can't remember the last time we had a day like this.

i went into the greenhouse just there for a bit of checking over etc and guess what.........it was hot. like proper hot, like a greenhouse is supposed to be. the toms are loving it, the peppers are dancing around and the chillis, well they are just having a field day!

on a less frivilous note, yes dizzy I can't effing wait for the holidays.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Care to share some of your tips re planting in heavy clay ?

Secman

Not meaning to be glib, but I'm not going to post them on this thread - basically it involves digging, addition of organic material, decisions on raised beds, soil testing and then the use of copious amounts of gypsum as a clay breaker. If you go through my past posts on this forum, I posted a war-n-peace set of instructions for a guy about working with clay soil recently...

It's the start of my weekend today, and I'm wrecked tired this morning. Have a job interview at 4pm so need to try spending the day doing constructive things, but it might not happen!

not sure what time it is now, but Good Luck in the interview madam!

Have a job interview at 4pm !

Hope it went well :)

Oh the sun is shining again - what a novelty! I have great hopes of my tomatoes ripening on the plants after all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Same here. Just been out to feed them.
    Fingers crossed.

another lovel day here

decisions decisions

a) allotment
    b) walk on the beach
    c) something else random that doesn't involve muck, caterpillars and potatoes

This weather really is great. At last a weekend in the garden with no major jobs to do :)

Had good weather here yesterday too, and did a considerable amount of weeding. Dropped five full buckets of weeds into the compost bin - and none of them were over 4" seedling size. Planted out some foxgloves, which was cool. Have more foxgloves to plant today (it's very early here, 6.15am at the moment) but also have screen work to do indoors and am not happy about the clash.

In other news, I totally abandoned all my cities in Evony Online last night. Never start playing it. Sucks your life away. I dont need another excuse not to be outside, so it was time to get rid!

I've seen that game advertised alright. I steered clear. Had enough of that kinda thing following the Farmville incident

The hubby was on World Of Warcraft for a couple of years :rolleyes:
    I like RPG's but those online ones steal your life.

• Advertisement

Have second round interview today. Swapped a shift with a co-worker to be able to attend, and so have to work tomorrow (day off). This means less gardening, which sucks some. However, the weather for Friday through Sunday is supposed to land between 19 and 22 degrees every day, so I should manage to get lots done. Then it's supposed to rain all day on Monday, which will water everything in nicely if I do a bunch of planting.

Need to get my veggies sown - it's the equivalent of March down here and I have to get a move on!

Advertisement