Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights: Ireland to NZ

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

I'm needing to book flights home to my brother's wedding on October. (Home being NZ, here being Ireland). And I'm visiting a bunch of friends as well, so the plan is Ireland-Christchurch-Wellington-Auckland-Ireland.

At this tage, it's looking like out of Heathrow is the only cheap(ish!) option left. Qantas has a flight with stops in Bangkok and Sydney on the way out, and Melbourne and Hong Kong on the way back.

But I'm freaking because the connection in HK only has an hour between arrival and departure (and it is a change of flight/plane, not just a pause).

Mr Just is in my ear saying that the booking system wouldn't be offering this option if it wasn't viable. But I've got nagging doubts.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Mary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I know this isn't particularly usefull, but I've found Bus Eireann's booking system lists transfers that in real life aren't feasible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Don't blame you to be concerned as the distances from Terminal to Terminal would gobble up lots of time and if you had any delay at all, you'd be stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Done London to Melbourne via Hong Kong twice in the last year (with Qantas)- 1 hour change (even if plane is in on time) is not going to happen!

When I did it we had 2 hours but basically got back onto the same plane, are you sure you are changing planes? If you go out on the plane you come in on then any delay is knocked on and there cannot be an issue.

But as you mention a plane change in Hong Kong - if by some miracle you made the flight, your baggage couldn't possibly follow you...

Final point , if you take an option offered by the airline and you do miss the connection then the airline is responsible to put you on next flight.

If you establish it is definitely a change of plane I would check the Qantas timetable and make sure there are later flights (same day) which you could be transferred onto in the event of missing connection.

Personally, I would not go near this flight option with 1 hour transfer of flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cheers ... I was thinking all that.

Have just looked again, I was confused, the 1-hour connection is actually in Melbourne, and it's definitely a change of plane (from one operated by Jetconnect for Qantas, to one operated by Qantas).

I'm rather get a (far) earlier flight from Auckland-Melbourne, but can't see a way to get the on-line systems to offer this to me. (Life was so much easier back in the days when travel agents sorted all this c**p out for us!)

Advertisement