Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop not staying connecting to internet

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi ,apologies if already answered ,but I haven'nt seen this problem here .

Running windows xp on desktop and vista on laptops .

I have eircom bb and a dell dimension 5000 desktop connected by cable to a netopia router .7mb (speed test says 3 to 5 mb)
    There are 2 laptops with a wireless connection to the same router .

The problem is if i leave the 5000 for say 10 mins and come back to it ,often it wont connect to the internet , but the wireless laptops never have this problem.
    I changed to open dns in case that was it but no joy .When i restart it all is fine again .

There are a lot of microsoft updates coming in automatically which i switched off ,but made no difference so i switched them back on .

Any idea whats happening ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Anyone ,any ideas ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe it's going into hibernation - the internet will disconnect if that happens. AFAIK, you can change the settings for this in power options on the control panel.

Thanks for the reply ,I checked it but i dont have hibernation clicked in the settings but it was worth a shot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Well, I sympathise - I've been having random disconnections myself lately and have now established that it was my router/modem, which I've just replaced. Made me want to tear my hair out over the last week :mad:
    It doesn't seem to be your problem though, since the laptops stay connected. The only other thing I can think of (and mainly because I've been through all the troubleshooting avenues in the book lately) is the network adaptor on your PC? Could it be failing? Can you borrow one from someone else (if it's external) or try resetting it or checking if the driver needs updating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sounds like your network adapter is fudged. Get a wireless adapter for your desktop. I know its only beside it but you said your wireless was perfect so that should fix it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sounds like your network adapter is fudged. Get a wireless adapter for your desktop. I know its only beside it but you said your wireless was perfect so that should fix it :)
    i reckon it would be significantly cheaper to get a new ethernet adapter than to get a wifi one for the desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Ethernet adapter would be cheaper allright but have you tried swopping out cable? Also try updating nic drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check the power settings. Windows has a pwer setting which turns off power to stuff if it's not being used. Ensure you're running on "full performance"...

=-=

That, or your motherboard is dying. I remember having to buy a network card as the network port died. A few weeks later, the HDD ports went, and I ended up getting a new motherboard (and thus an upgrade).

Hi again ,thanks to you all for the suggestions . I hope to sort it at the weekend .!

Advertisement