Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JG SIG550 Hopup - Few Questions?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Heyho,

I've been skirmishing for a while now with my Sig550, overall happy with it, but I find the hopup a little strange. Maybe some of you good people can enlighten me...

Its a strange type of hopup (called a G3 type, I believe - feel free to correct me) - the adjuster is a ring around the barrel that rotates - you rotate up (anticlockwise, looking down the barrel) to increase hopup, and vice versa. The thing is, it never stops rotating - you can do do multiple laps of the 360 degree barrel, so its hard to know when its turned off (I generally just do a few rotations down). Similarly its hard to get it set right every time, since theres no referance marks - also because the effect of the hopup seems pretty minimal.

1) Can anyone tell me how this hopup works - each time I go around the circle, I'm not going back to zero am I? I figure if I understand what goes on internally with the circular adjuster and the hopup rubber, I might be able to adjust it correctly....

2) Although the power and ROF are good (consistantly 0.97 - 1.0 J at various sites over the last few months, runs 9.6v out of the box), I find the accuracy pretty bad at longer ranges (where you need it) - the hopup is pretty ineffective at distance (maybe because I'm adjusting it wrong). I assume the best approach to dealing with this is a barrel and/or hopup upgrade? Its a long AEG, but the accuracy is not what you'd expect...

3) How much might one reasonably expect to pay a shop to take the gun in and do said upgrades? Or is it a diy job - I don't mind getting my hands dirty....

Many thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Your hop up is smashed, plain and simple. You should get a half to three-quarter rotation at the very most if it's functioning correctly. A full spin means it's shagged.
    That type is similar to the one used on G36's (though not the same), in the axial rotary dial. They're not hard to find and they're fairly simple to install.
    Your range and accuracy are all stemming from this one problem, so just replace that and all will be rosey in the garden again.

Grab one of these and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

NakedDex wrote: »
    Your hop up is smashed, plain and simple. You should get a half to three-quarter rotation at the very most if it's functioning correctly. A full spin means it's shagged.
    That type is used on a few different AEG's, including the G36 series. They're not hard to find and they're fairly simple to install.
    Your range and accuracy are all stemming from this one problem, so just replace that and all will be rosey in the garden again.

Ah ok - thats good to know - I'll contact eirsoft so, the hopup has been like that since I got it - it was a gift, and I didn't know any better, so I assumed that was how it was meant to be.

Thanks for the swift reply, btw :-)

Advertisement