Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Season

• 16-08-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

So from a liverpool point of view I'd have to say by watching the other big teams that a place in the europa league is very likely.

Name your finishing teams for first 10 places.

Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Villa
    Tottenham
    Sunderland
    Wigan

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Knee-jerks ftw

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

And another uneccessary thread. Seriously, why has this been happening the last few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newcastle fan, I expect nothing less than Champions league football and a title push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lol overreact much?

Anyway after losing away to Spurs today its just so obvious that Liverpool are on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'll have to disagree OP. Mid table at least, we're just not good enough. May as well give up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Relegation surely. You are dreaming OP, Europa League, I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Tottenham
    Everton
    Villa
    Fulham
    Wigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

So from a liverpool point of view I'd have to say by watching the other big teams that a place in the europa league is very likely.

Stoke to win by 4 on Wednesday at Anfield. Rafa to be sacked on Thursday. Torres to be sold on Friday. Stevie G to hand in a transfer request on Saturday, and Glen Roeder to be appointed new boss on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Stoke to win by 4 on Wednesday at Anfield. Rafa to be sacked on Thursday. Torres to be sold on Friday. Stevie G to hand in a transfer request on Saturday, and Glen Roeder to be appointed new boss on Sunday.

thats not true , Glen Roeder wont be appointed new boss until Monday :D

You have 250 posts. You obviously cannot start a thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Villa
    Tottenham
    Sunderland
    Wigan

Man city:D
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Man utd
    Villa
    Everton
    Blackburn
    Tottenham
    Birmingham

Happy to post in another so called useless/ ridiculous thread....Each to their own:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

pwd wrote: »
    You have 250 posts. You obviously cannot start a thread

Why not?

Because people will tear the p!ss out of him and call the thread pointless as you see. You missed my sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man utd
    arsenal
    chelsea
    man city
    spurs
    liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

tbh at this rate they'd be lucky to finish above Hull... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

1.Man Utd
    2.Chelsea
    3.Arsenal
    4.City
    5.Villa
    6.Everton
    7.Spurs
    8.Sunderland
    9.Fulham
    10.Blackburn
    11.West Ham
    12.Wigan
    13.Bolton
    14.Wolves
    15.Portsmouth
    16.Stoke
    17.Birmingham
    18.Hull
    19.Burnley
    20.Liverpool

Cant see it any other way at this stage, theres just not enough time left :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spot on. However, Stoke had a convincing win whereas United and Chelsea struggled so I would put them favourites behind Arsenal for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Lol at over-reaction by the OP!!

I reckon Liverpool will end up 3rd despite Rafa & his beloved Lucas!

1 Chelsea
    2 Man Utd
    3 Liverpool
    4 Arsenal
    5 Man City
    6 Fulham
    7 Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Theres a few regulars in the liverpool thread who would still be taking positives from those group of events next monday morning if it did actually happen. And im sure they would have stats to back it up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Villa
    Tottenham
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    So one game of the season gone and you can tell this. Would put a big facepalm picture in here but this will do.>>>:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good God, it's just one round of games.

Rafa made his usual stubborn error of not taking off Babel for Benayoun, who made a telling impact.

He should not have bought an injured player (Aquilani) in place of Alonso.

The Liverpool problem remains the same, if Gerrard or Torres get injured or are off form, Liverpool are in big trouble. Those two did not perform yesterday, therefore the result is no surprise.

I do expect Liverpool to be in the top 4, but Rafa has relied too much on luck to get him places. He is the worst selector in the Premier League imho and apart from Torres and Alonso, his signings have been utter rubbish i.e Voronin at £8 million, Dossena, Babel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

1. Liverpool
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    20. Man U

:D:D:D:D

(well, its about as realistic as many other predictions!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

pwd wrote: »
    Because people will tear the p!ss out of him and call the thread pointless as you see. You missed my sarcasm

Oh right i'm still getting the hang of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fantastic start.

United were full of meh and Liverpool were awful.

Chelsea and Arsenal look solid.

Our squad depth is fantastic looking at the bench we had on Saturday - Taylor, Onouha, Zabaleta, De Jong, Tevez, Petrov, Weiss.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fantastic start.

United were full of meh and Liverpool were awful.

Chelsea and Arsenal look solid.

Our squad depth is fantastic looking at the bench we had on Saturday - Taylor, Onouha, Zabaleta, De Jong, Tevez, Petrov, Weiss.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tevez was shíte when he came on too.

Didn't look happy at all.

Heel injury me bollix

Des wrote: »
    Tevez was shíte when he came on too.

Didn't look happy at all.

Heel injury me bollix

:rolleyes:

Good one

Xavi6 wrote: »

Good one

He DIDN'T play well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

from the weekends viewing, i have no doubt that the top 4 will be...

1. Arsenal
    2. Wigan
    3. Stoke
    4. Man City

with Utd, Chelsea & Liverpool battling it out for Uefa cup.

Oh and Aston Villa & Everton are definately going to get relegated.

• Advertisement

He DIDN'T play well.

Define 'play well'.

He didn't bang in a hattrick but he worked hard I thought out left with Bellamy. For 20 minutes when he has had pretty much zero preseason I was happy, as were most City fans.

Blind alleys, misplaced passes and just general headless chickenry, in my opinion.

des, is this part of the "he rejected Utd, so let pretend he's not that good" thing thats been going on the last few weeks?

christ its more contagious than swine flu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Mr Alan wrote: »
    des, is this part of the "he rejected Utd, so let pretend he's not that good" thing thats been going on the last few weeks?

No its more to do with the part where as a £25 million striker he doesn't score enough goals and ends up playing out too wide in games where as a striker he is not that effective. Yeah he sure does run aroud a lot and looks busy but what does he do?

and for similiar reasons(Goals) Berbatov until he scores more frequently will be called a waste of money too.

this coming from a liverpool fan

alonso best midfielder in the league,goes to madrid,nope alonso wasnt key to our success last season at all

:D

got to love fans

btw im not actually directed this at you Mr Alan but most liverpool fans on here

What is wrong with my assessment of how Tevez played at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Sunderland :)

Headshot wrote: »
    this coming from a liverpool fan

alonso best midfielder in the league,goes to madrid,nope alonso wasnt key to our success last season at all

:D

got to love fans

btw im not actually directed this at you Mr Alan but most liverpool fans on here

nope, i still think Alonso is brilliant-thankfully we replaced him with a very highly rated midfielder who is meant to excel in the things Alonso didn't-hopefully it turns out ok. lets not turn this into a Liverpool/Utd tit for tat thing.

What is wrong with my assessment of how Tevez played at the weekend?

as Neil has already said, he hasnt had any pre-season, carrying a knock, and did "alright" which is all that can be expected, commenting on him in a negative way for his cameo at the weekend is attempting to put him down imo.

attempting to put him down imo.

:eek:

He's not a horse.

Although, if a horse had performed like that, it would have been :pac:

god i hope he ****ing tears Utd a new arsehole this year in the derby

• Advertisement

I doubt if he'll get a look in if he keeps performing like that.

good stuff

lol

Des, think you may have to get rid of that Shels jersey & dust down one of your old ones.

You're getting worse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

"i'd love it if" .......................... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Tevez tbf wasn't fit no matter what you think of his performance. Comment of Adebayor and Barry who all were 100% fit and started because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Top 5:
    Man United
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    City/possibly Everton

United looked steady and hard to beat, will win on autopilot against the weaker teams. But goals are a huge problem. Though I have them down to win, that's really just bias!

City didn't actually play well at all, Given saved them numerous times. I am just just waiting for the next Robinho tantrum, Roque Santa Cruz to make about 2 appearances all season, Adebayor to disappear after 10 games, Tevez to do his "thing". Stephen Irelnad played well but I don't think the rest of midfield or defence is much use.

Alonso is a big loss for Liverpool. He was key to keeping the ball, getting things moving. If Aquilani can do that, I'd give them more of a shout but tbh they are carrying too many average players. If Gerrard has to play deeper, it spells trouble for them.

Chelsea will be Chelsea. Remorseless victory after victory. Kind of like old style West Germany. If my heart wasn't ruling my head I'd have them down to win.

Arsenal looked good alright but I'd wait and see before calling them the second coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

OMG ASTON VILLA GOT BEAT BY WIGAN THEY ARE GONA GET RELEGATED :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

So what have we got so far;

United flatter to deceive in pre-season and then struggle to score against a fairly mediocre side. Still manage to win 1-0 though so 3 points on the board.

Arsenal tear apart a team that actually tried to play football against them rather than nullifying them instead.

Liverpool fail to win against a team that played better than they will for most of the season, due in no small part to Benitez not willing to change his system and ideas.

Chelsea completely dominate a game against one of the lower teams in the division before scraping home with a last minute winner.

Welcome to the new season, same as the old one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Iago wrote: »
    Welcome to the new season, same as the old one :D

Haha :D brilliant

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Top 5:
    Man United
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    City/possibly Everton

United looked steady and hard to beat, will win on autopilot against the weaker teams. But goals are a huge problem. Though I have them down to win, that's really just bias!

City didn't actually play well at all, Given saved them numerous times. I am just just waiting for the next Robinho tantrum, Roque Santa Cruz to make about 2 appearances all season, Adebayor to disappear after 10 games, Tevez to do his "thing". Stephen Irelnad played well but I don't think the rest of midfield or defence is much use.

Alonso is a big loss for Liverpool. He was key to keeping the ball, getting things moving. If Aquilani can do that, I'd give them more of a shout but tbh they are carrying too many average players. If Gerrard has to play deeper, it spells trouble for them.

Chelsea will be Chelsea. Remorseless victory after victory. Kind of like old style West Germany. If my heart wasn't ruling my head I'd have them down to win.

Arsenal looked good alright but I'd wait and see before calling them the second coming.
    Well thought out, non-reactionary analysis

You are clearly on the wrong board

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement