Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterbabies vs Swim-a-song

Options
  • 16-08-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I'm in Dublin and want to know if anyone has experience or knows what these classes are like.

Waterbabies seems more structured but more expensive.

Swim-a-song is cheaper but they seem to emphasize the music/fun part more than the learning to swim/water part.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've looked into both and decided to send DD to Water babies the next time they have a course running in my area! The reasons for this are like you said above, they place more emphasis on learning to swim and under water swimming than the Swim-a-song group would.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I've always questioned the value of these type of courses aimed at very small children, particularly the 'add-on' classes in creches etc.

We bring the kids swimming regularly ourselves both in the pool and at the beach and when they're older (4/5) we'll just bring them to regular swimming lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 P1p

I have been teaching swimming for 18 years. I agree the best way to help your child swim is to bring them to the pool on a regular basis and make it fun.

The aqua babies is about building the child's confidence. This is good. The only issue is it also introduces subergance swimming. I have a problem with this. I will ask the question to any parent. WHY? Why do you want your baby to be able to swim under the water. There is no correlation with children which learns this being better swimmers at 5 years then those that don't. There is none at all. It is well over priced and in my experience is for the parents to boast that their little Pat can swim on thier own at one year. So again why? Is this course really for the baby or for the parent?

The swim a song course is also to build child confidence through fun and songs. This is designed to give parents ideas for what to do with to help build this confidence. It also covers baby floation and the different stages. A much better value course.

These courses are great for parents that are not water confident themselves.

The choice is yours...

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have 2 sons who love the water. The 3yo will hopefully be going to lessons soon. He wears armbands but can swim all over the pool with them, doesn't mind going under and loves a slide into the pool. The 22 mth old is pretty much the same and it's 6 mths since we had to hold him in the water. He loves the slide but you don;t dare try to catch him and he'll happily head into the pool himself while you make your own way in. I've never paid for any classes for them. They've just been to the pool every week since they were about 12 weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 P1p

Total Fitness and Ballymun pool in Dublin and Athlone Pool are both doing the swim a song courses. All classes are full and going well. Clases are very structured and organised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement