Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should those on disability allowance have subsidised cars?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Its in the UK now that you get your car subsidised by the UK taxpayer, a new car every 3 years and all you have to do is pay the petrol.
    http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=CHSW
    A new car of your choice every 3 years
    Insurance and personal accident cover
    Servicing and maintenance
    Full breakdown assistance from RAC
    Free replacement tyres fitted by Kwik-Fit
    Window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost.

Basically, you could get a brand new Ford Mondeo 2L for £3,400stg, worth £25kstg.(use car search on link)

Should this happen here to all those on disability allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

NO they fùcking get enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

depends on how disabled you are tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

phasers wrote: »
    depends on how disabled you are tbh

should take in to account if the person has a family or not too and if they live out of town or in a area with poor public transport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

is there a limit on how much they cud get??

what if they wanted a Ferrari?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If they really need the car, and if it has to be modified so they can drive it, then yes, otherwise they can use their bus pass no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So if i strain my back in and claim disablity, shouldn't i be entitled to a brand new Ford Mondeo?(if scheme was over here of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my gf bought one at a uk action last year,

immaculate car, not even 5k miles on it and a bargain price

so yeh they shud so theres more to buy of them:pac:

dannym08 wrote: »
    is there a limit on how much they cud get??

what if they wanted a Ferrari?

Well http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=CCHC
    here are more than 200 cars available to drive away at no more than the cost of your weekly allowance (£49.10 for those receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, or £54.85 for those receiving the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement). We call this ‘nil’ advance payment (AP). Advance payments are payable in one lump sum to your dealer at the start of your contract, and make up the difference between the amount your allowance covers over the three year agreement period and the overall cost of the car you choose

No Ferrari's though, still unbelievable stuff.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

im cutting off my legs tomorrow ok ok maybe just one of them

tara666 wrote: »
    im cutting off my legs tomorrow ok ok maybe just one of them

Make sure sure do it ion the UK!!

At least you won't be charged for A&E admission over there after cutting one of your legs of! :D

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Make sure sure do it ion the UK!!

At least you won't be charged for A&E admission over there after cutting one of your legs of! :D

yeah yeah i know ...any glue?:P

tara666 wrote: »
    yeah yeah i know ...any glue?:P

So its worth cutting your legs off for a free car? :D

gurramok wrote: »
    So its worth cutting your legs off for a free car? :D

wellllllllllllllllllllll maybe one ..u have to see the car i drive lol :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

People with certain disabilities which includes some recipients of DA and those who are in paid employment if they meet the medical criteria today entitled to a motorized transport grant from the local HSE covering the conversion or purchase of an adapted motor vehicle. Members of the Disabled Drivers Association are entitled to VAT exemption on VRT on the purchase of a new vehicle, VAT exemptions on petrol/diesal and free road tax. That's in addition to a parking permit - covering free parking and use of toll roads. Equality for the non-disabled??????

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭goulders

Free car and all benifits (following conditions apply)
    1 Never work again
    2 Live on €205 per week for the rest of your life
    3 Severe ristrictions on where u can go, pubs, restaurants, cinemas
    4 Be willing to collect for flag days, church collections winter or summer
    5 Spend over €50,000 on alterations to your house so u can live in it.
    6 Be ignored by every taxi driver when trying to get home
    7 Be prepared to be constantly unwell
    8 Travel for distances to an accesable footpath u can mount
    9 Be prepared to piss urself cos u can,t find an accessable loo
    10 Give up 98% of ur friends cos u cant get into their house
    11 Have a shorter life expectancy than all ur mates
    12 Get used to hospital food and hospital staff (they will be ur best pals)
    13 Give up planning ahead for anything (u will be too unwell)

above is a short list of conditions, for further details contact HELL phone 666

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    NO they fùcking get enough

Excuse me..!! :eek:

How exactly do you assume that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

They're just Trolly mac Trolls, ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a company director that i worked for retired due to health problems, he now drives a fancy bmw free tax etc, he walks 5 miles each day, i cannot walk 50 yards and i am considered not qualified for the same grant. it is no wonder we have nama

old boy wrote: »
    a company director that i worked for retired due to health problems, he now drives a fancy bmw free tax etc, he walks 5 miles each day, i cannot walk 50 yards and i am considered not qualified for the same grant. it is no wonder we have nama

Depends on both your ailments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

old boy wrote: »

what do you mean he has free tax

• Advertisement

ottobock wrote: »
    what do you mean he has free tax

Disabled drivers that hold a Primary Medical Certificate are exempt from paying Road tax.

vectra wrote: »
    Disabled drivers that hold a Primary Medical Certificate are exempt from paying Road tax.

Yes I thought that was what you meant.
    A Primary Medical Certificate confirms you are severely and permanently disabled and:
    • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs or
    • Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs or
    • Are without both hands or both arms or
    • Are without one or both legs or
    • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg or
    • Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs.
    As far as I can see there is no means testing so it applies to all who qualify.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

ottobock wrote: »
    Yes I thought that was what you meant.
    A Primary Medical Certificate confirms you are severely and permanently disabled and:
    • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs or
    • Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs or
    • Are without both hands or both arms or
    • Are without one or both legs or
    • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg or
    • Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs.
    As far as I can see there is no means testing so it applies to all who qualify.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

In a nutshell.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

plus vrt on cars
    vat on petrol
    excempt from toll fees
    adaptations are done free
    free parking

I have no problem with designated parking and modifications being done to cars - but i've seen people in employment earning good wages who were quadroplegics and had a care attendant who was rights paid for getting these benefits. I feel equality should be across the board and if people are to get exemptions from vrt/vat/parking fees this should be on stringent means test and on actual household income.... people in employment should not qualify for these benefits... sorry. We keep hearing of equality - but in these measures outlined above I feel that discrimination is a two-way entity and it adversely affects drivers who are non-disabled. I know it may seem controversial but for me equality means equality for all - equal treatment - regardless of age, sex, family status, member of the travelling community, disability etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

GER12 wrote: »
    plus vrt on cars
    vat on petrol
    excempt from toll fees
    free parking

That's quite a list you've got there, lets look at it.

Well first off adaptations are not done for free, certainly any car I've bought I've had to pay for the cost of the adaptation. Perhaps you'd share how we can avail of this free service, it would be of great benefit to myself and others.

The free parking is due to diminished mobility, the option to simply walk down to the shop isn't always there for everyone. How to do propose we make that equatable? You have the choice as to whether or not you drive, other don't.

Tolls are free! Woot, but again see the above point and add the stipulation that to avail of it the card holder must be travelling also. So its not quite free always.

See above for reasons why vat might be claimable for transport costs.

As for the idea of a means test, well it is means tested just on mobility which I can assure you is not the wonderful deal you imply it is.

We'll give you a fail on facts, but a c+ on trolling.

plus vrt on cars

Partially correct
    VRT is reclaimimable to a certain amount
    Up to :
    Approx €9.5k for a driver
    Apparo €15.5k for a passenger

Depending on how much is reclaimable on the given vehicle.

vat on petrol

Again Partially correct
    Excise duty (not VAT) is reclaimable on fuel up to a maximum of approx 2,600 litres per year

excempt from toll fees

Correct

Absolutely incorrect.
    Adaptations have to be paid for by the purchaser.
    ie.
    Driver must make adaptations to the vehicle in respect to their disability.

A Passenger MUST spend at least 10% of the final cost of the vehicle on adaptations.
    However,
    VAT is reclaimable on these adaptations.

free parking

In most towns you can only park in the disabled drivers spot.
    ( Have you ever checked how many Fit driver use and abuse these spots?)
    Other towns allow disabled drivers to park anywhere on the street as long as a valid parking disc is displayed.
    I have no problem with designated parking and modifications being done to cars - but i've seen people in employment earning good wages who were quadroplegics and had a care attendant who was rights paid for getting these benefits. I feel equality should be across the board and if people are to get exemptions from vrt/vat/parking fees this should be on stringent means test and on actual household income.... people in employment should not qualify for these benefits... sorry. We keep hearing of equality - but in these measures outlined above I feel that discrimination is a two-way entity and it adversely affects drivers who are non-disabled. I know it may seem controversial but for me equality means equality for all - equal treatment - regardless of age, sex, family status, member of the travelling community, disability etc.

Would you prefer to see this person at home claiming disability/invalidity pension instead?
    Give the people a break
    They obviously want to work but need the transport and help to get their.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deise_dudette

People with certain disabilities which includes some recipients of DA and those who are in paid employment if they meet the medical criteria today entitled to a motorized transport grant from the local HSE covering the conversion or purchase of an adapted motor vehicle. Members of the Disabled Drivers Association are entitled to VAT exemption on VRT on the purchase of a new vehicle, VAT exemptions on petrol/diesal and free road tax. That's in addition to a parking permit - covering free parking and use of toll roads. Equality for the non-disabled??????

I need my car adapted due to a disability from birth, my right side is restricted so i need a left drive acceleration car. I applied for this scheme and was declined...... But i know of someone fairly close to me who got the full motorised grant and they had their hip replaced (they are only 20). They got a fairly new car and it was never adapted, as there was no need for it....

Is this right??? I also heard of an old man who a stroke a few years ago and is just back on the road and he was also declined for this scheme...

I need my car adapted due to a disability from birth, my right side is restricted so i need a left drive acceleration car. I applied for this scheme and was declined...... But i know of someone fairly close to me who got the full motorised grant and they had their hip replaced (they are only 20). They got a fairly new car and it was never adapted, as there was no need for it....

Is this right??? I also heard of an old man who a stroke a few years ago and is just back on the road and he was also declined for this scheme...

Are you on a disability benefit or something?
    I am not sure if this is a requirement but it may be worth your while applying for a primary medical certificate.
    You local Community welfare officer will advise you on this.
    There is also some scheme I am unsure of that allows certain people to reclaim Vat ( not sure of some vrt ) after purchasing a car to enable them to drive to work

*EDIT*
    Just found this on IWA
    Motorised Transport Grant

The Motorised Transport grant provided funds towards the purchase/adaptation of a car by a person with a severe disability, where the car is considered essential to obtain or retain employment.

To be eligible to receive the Motorised Transport Grant, applicants must satisfy the following conditions:

* be over 17 years and under 66 years
    * have a disability that impedes the use of public transport
    * hold a driving licence
    * be physically and mentally capable of driving
    * require a car or other vehicle in order to obtain/retain employment or because you live in a very isolated location. Where your application is made on the basis of obtaining or retaining employment or self employment, the Health Service Executive (HSE) Area must be satisfied that you are capable of holding down a job.

The grant may also be considered in exceptional circumstances for people with severe disabilities who are over 17 years and under 66 years, who live in remote locations and who are impeded from using public transport.

It may be possible to avail of the grant if a person is unemployed but could take up work if they had a car. Self-employed people may also be eligible to apply for the grant. Normally, the grant is payable /to people who drive / where you drive yourself. It may be possible to get approval to have a grant paid where you own the car and arrange for its adaptation and another named person drives it / the vehicle / because you are not physically or medically able to drive.

Since 1 July 2002, if you receive a Motorised Transport Grant, while in receipt of the Mobility Allowance, you will become ineligible to receive the Mobility Allowance for a period of 3 years. The payment of a Motorised Transport Grant is subject to the condition that the Health Service Executive (HSE) Area will not be called upon at any future date to contribute towards the running costs of the vehicle. People are eligible to apply for the Mobility Allowance again, three years after the date of payment of the Motorised Transport Grant.

When a grant has previously been paid towards the purchase of a vehicle, a grant towards the replacement of the car will not normally be paid, unless due to extenuating circumstances, until three years from the date that the previous grant has been paid.

Might be worth your while looking into this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deise_dudette

Are you on a disability benefit or something?
    I am not sure if this is a requirement but it may be worth your while applying for a primary medical certificate.
    You local Community welfare officer will advise you on this.
    There is also some scheme I am unsure of that allows certain people to reclaim Vat ( not sure of some vrt ) after purchasing a car to enable them to drive to work

*EDIT*
    Just found this on IWA

Might be worth your while looking into this ;)

Thanks for your research :D

I was declined for a Primary Medical Certificate for the VRT scheme. I am awaiting a date to be brought before the medical board of appeal.

I am in full time employment so I need my car. i have only started learning. In the next 2 years i will also be having a hip replacement, due to arthritus.

I feel its unfair some people meet the criteria and others dont.... If i dont get this I would be ok but the fact i know someone who has got it and they are perfectly okay, they are even planning on getting a new car.... with no adaptions again.... I know there are people who are worse off then me out there who needs a car and they cant the grant or the VRT scheme, its really frustrating :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks for your research :D

I was declined for a Primary Medical Certificate for the VRT scheme. I am awaiting a date to be brought before the medical board of appeal.

I wish you well in this appeal.
    And it does seem that there are quite a few anomalies in this scheme which should be looked at by the Department.

Advertisement