Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chick flicks

• 16-08-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Most men that have been in a relationship have had to endure chick flicks at one stage or another.Dirty Dancing,The Notebook,Pretty Woman etc etc.

How do the blokes here view them.

Do you hate them?
    Do you secretly love them but pretend to think they are rubbish because men arent really supposed to like them?
    How many have you seen?

My own worst chick flick experience was when the girl I was seeing at the time wanted to go to see PS I love you.Being the dutiful boyfriend I agreed to go along and I have to say it was the most painful experience of my life,and Ive had root canal surgery.

It was in Dundrum and the theatre was packed to the rafters with women aged probably 8 to 80.Ive never seen so many women crying at once,it was a truly surreal experience.

The funniest part was making eye contact with one guy that was at it with his OH aswell,we just looked at eachother like 2 blokes heading to the gallows.A slight nod and a glance heaven wards was enough to know he felt the same as I did.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was dragged along to see the Devil wears Prada.
    Was expecting the worst.

Thought it was pretty entertaining after all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Eh I don't know about that. But I was dragged along to the point by my then oh to see Mama Mia. *shudder*

Can't imagine why we're not together now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

nedtheshed wrote: »
    The funniest part was making eye contact with one guy that was at it with his OH aswell,we just looked at eachother like 2 blokes heading to the gallows.A slight nod and a glance heaven wards was enough to know he felt the same as I did.

Your thoughts please.

Lol, I love mancode.

I don't generally mind them, I went to see the Ugly Truth last week and it was fairly funny.

If I see a trailer for something I think is awful I just straight away say "You can go see that with one of your friends".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I can handle the rom-coms as a throwaway piece of fluff but its the out and out romance ones that get on my tits.

Dirty Dancing is a prime example.

In real life,never in a million years would Patrick Swayze pick yer one but in the movie he did.

I have to admit Im a cynical bastard by nature anyway but I will hold my hands up and admit I did enjoy Bridget Jones Diary.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Went to the movies with my then girlfriend to see my sister's keeper. We were both cracking up at the women crying. We had to sit up the front cos we were late in to see it, we heard from behind us in a thick waterford accent

"tracey, are you fookin cryin again!?!?!?!"

*sniffles from tracey* "noooo"

We were just cracking up, I was setting her off too. Very sad film but we just couldn't contain ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

After many years in a stable relatioinship Mrs Goat and I have finally figured out each others tastes in movies. Some we both like, some she likes and some I like. So, depending on the 'explosion count' or on the 'tear jerk count' we see movies together or not. If the explosion count is 3+ then she dosen't bother going. If the tearjerk factor is more then two then I won't be dragged along. Anything else is a compramise for both of us and we go along together.
    When it comes to seeing films with the kids we share the pain.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

mikemac wrote: »
    Was dragged along to see the Devil wears Prada.
    Was expecting the worst.

Thought it was pretty entertaining after all:)

That is a really good film actually.

Maybe because it hasn't really got a sappy happy ending, it has a more realistic one where people move on.

I just think when the romance bit is unrealistic and ridiculous then they are bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hate a lot of tehm but some romcoms were fun to watch with missus'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

generally i hate them, so bloody boring and predictable i.e.:

Woman meets man,
    hates him initally but is forced to spend time with him,
    turns out she likes him,
    shock horror he likes her too,
    they go out for a while,
    turns out yer man did somehing wrong and she throws a wobbler,
    she's moving away,
    yer man finds out she's leaving and goes to meet her at apartment/airport etc.
    she forgets that he did something wrong,
    all live happily ever after.

Oh,and all throughout the movie there's a funny/qquirky friend who provides the com partof the rom-com

Although some are enjoyable, e.g. 50 First dates (i tried to think of another one, but i cant ;)) the vast majority are utter rubbish, Dirty Dancing and Sex and the City two big ones in my book.
    I refuse to go to the cinema with the OH to see these movies, but if she gets them out on DVD, ill watch it and point out all the plot holes, and correctly predict the entire story :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I fully admit that I really like some of these movies but absolutely detest others!

Bridget Jones' Diary was great, I liked the Devil Wears Prada but Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing and Sex and the City were just appalling, over-hyped rubbish! As for Mama Mia, I saw 45 minutes of that on DVD and really couldn't stand any more so I played Call of Duty 4 while my wife watched the rest :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Chick flicks Bah.

Pet hate Erin Brockovich. The story is ok but she was not a goody goody single mum she was in it for the money.

Its like the chickification of crime movies and TV Programmes. Ally Mc-psychotic Beal and CSI Anorexic. Real forensic investigators are covered from head to toe in very unflatering paper overalls.

Every Julia Roberts film should be outlawed.

She has a mouth like a trash compactor and frankly scares me a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm the one that drags my girlfriend to chick flicks. I always think they're gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is this the Gentleman's Lounge or the Metrosexual Boudoir? The Devil Wears Prada is a good film? Jesus H... just hand over your penis as you've no need for it.

Sex and the City. God help us. This is a comedy and is proof by itself that women can't do jokes.

If it was a can of fish it would be labeled "dolphin friendly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I actually hate chick flicks with a passion. Not because of the lameness or the cheesyness or the downright bad acting, but because I feel that I'm being put under pressure. Chick Flicks basically tell you that no woman will want you unless you are tall, dark, and handsome with perfect teeth. While the buffoons or leechs are nearly always physically inferior to the "knights in shining armour". I HATE them, they put unfair demands on us men. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have sat thru a few of these -- the Devil Wears Prada was actually not that bad. I think the key is to set your expectations as low as humanely possible so unless the film totally sucks the overall experience won't be too bad.

Having said that, Sex and the City is the biggest load of crap i've ever seen. As bad as any random episode of Grey's Anatomy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've sat through many a chick flick with the ladyship. What happens is I start watching it and I decide this is not too bad and watch it all or else I just take out the laptop while she watches the rest of it. We still remain in the same room this spending time together :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i thought the devil wears prada was going to be awful. it actually turned out to be a decent film. Love actually was another that I thought was going to be dross and it surprised me. Other than that I can't think of anything else good to say.

I'm actually very lucky in that Mrs Monkey hates chick flicks. Despises them. She's not a big film fan at all, but would much rather watch something like Star Trek or one of the Bourne films rather than an out and out action flick like say Rambo.

My last GF loved horror movies which was perfect because Im a total nerd for them.Still had to sit through the occasional chick flick with her though.

• Advertisement

My Girlfriend was watching Notting Hill on TV tonight while I watched Leprachaun Movie clips on the internet. She says it ruined the mood. Funny that it didn't spoil my viewing one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

what about chick tv shows?

desperate housewives?
    sex and the city ?
    any soap

terrible stuff (imo)

I can tolerate SATC tv show but Desperate Housewives has to be the worst show ever created.

Its not comedy,its not a drama,its just,bullspit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have to say that the films aimed at the men (what is the masculine of Chick Flick?) are not masterpieces of cinema either. Any oul ****e of a script, chuck in a few 'splosions, an obligatory shag and flash of some boobs and a flurry of martial art kicks so overedited and cut that I get dizzy. Stick an 18 rating on the cover and we'll queue up to get a copy on dvd.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

OldGoat wrote: »
    I have to say that the films aimed at the men (what is the masculine of Chick Flick?) are not masterpieces of cinema either. Any oul ****e of a script, chuck in a few 'splosions, an obligatory shag and flash of some boobs and a flurry of martial art kicks so overedited and cut that I get dizzy. Stick an 18 rating on the cover and we'll queue up to get a copy on dvd.

Maybe if we're talking about Jason Statham movies but recent films like Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all have arresting images, groundbreaking special effects, genuine heart, amazing performances and a desire to push the medium forward.

Now I enjoy the odd chick flick but as a fairly big film fan myself I find the lack of imagination and ambition of the genre disturbing. For example, I'm going to see District 9 tonight which looks crazily original, exciting. Compare that to The Proposal, which sticks rigidly to its built-in formula (2 people hate each other, grow to like each other, have a spat, crazy airport dash, get together at the end) and it's fairly depressing. My gf is much much smarter than me but she loved Proposal and was looking forward to it all summer long - I just can't see what it possibly had to offer before she seen it that made her HAVE to see it asap? And it seems that any films that try to shake up the formula get horrible word of mouth (The Break Up).

I am interested in seeing 500 Days of Summer however as I've heard it's actually a fresh take on the genre, although obviously it's an indie film rather than mass-market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Some chick flicks give me a pleasant surprise. Has anyone seen Chocolat? its quite good, and Johnny Depp does a great Irish accent. Also i like Ghost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mine actually suggested going to see Lesbian Vampire Killers. Afterwards we agreed there wasn't nearly enough killing or lesbianing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Maybe if we're talking about Jason Statham movies but recent films like Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all have arresting images, groundbreaking special effects, genuine heart, amazing performances and a desire to push the medium forward.

Now I enjoy the odd chick flick but as a fairly big film fan myself I find the lack of imagination and ambition of the genre disturbing. For example, I'm going to see District 9 tonight which looks crazily original, exciting. Compare that to The Proposal, which sticks rigidly to its built-in formula (2 people hate each other, grow to like each other, have a spat, crazy airport dash, get together at the end) and it's fairly depressing. My gf is much much smarter than me but she loved Proposal and was looking forward to it all summer long - I just can't see what it possibly had to offer before she seen it that made her HAVE to see it asap? And it seems that any films that try to shake up the formula get horrible word of mouth (The Break Up).

I am interested in seeing 500 Days of Summer however as I've heard it's actually a fresh take on the genre, although obviously it's an indie film rather than mass-market

Do NOT bash Statham movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

I hate to admit it but i really like Notting Hill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just bring her to see The Hurt Locker, not your fault if you mistakenly thought it was a chick-flick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Bridget Jones' Diary was great, I liked the Devil Wears Prada but Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing and Sex and the City were just appalling, over-hyped rubbish! As for Mama Mia, I saw 45 minutes of that on DVD and really couldn't stand any more so I played Call of Duty 4 while my wife watched the rest :D

:eek:

But what about the amazing clothes?!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

OldGoat wrote: »
    what is the masculine of Chick Flick?

You mean a 'Bromance'!! You know...those ones that have the lads who were in The Hangover, Knocked Up etc . They are good & funny but lets see if the next 20 'Bromances' are still funny.

They will probably be all about puking/farting/pooping/boners/annoying wifes and beautiful blondes who fall for the fat funny guy BUT without the well written script or storyline!

Any genre can get over done. However I do agree that the amount of crap chickflicks out there WAY out weighs the good.

The ultimate chickflick is Brokeback Mountain.

Its a travesty it is - a mockery on the sacred genre of westerns to appeal to girls.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Chick flicks are wrong. so very wrong.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Chick flicks are wrong. so very wrong.

pretty much spot on

With the power invested in me by the Higher Powahs of Boards.ie I now deem you to be an Honourary Gentlemen 1st Class of The Gentlemen's Club

• Advertisement

pretty much spot on

With the power invested in me by the Higher Powahs of Boards.ie I now deem you to be an Honourary Gentlemen 1st Class of The Gentlemen's Club

Cheers! :D

I like a movie that I can sit on the sofa, open the top button of my jeans cause I ate faaaar to much pizza, slug a can of beer and scratch my imaginary balls.

never has a woman seemed so attractive :P

( i take back the mean statements)

never has a woman seemed so attractive :P

( i take back the mean statements)

*shudder*

I prefer it when you're mean to me :pac:

;)

CDfm wrote: »
    The ultimate chickflick is Brokeback Mountain.

Its a travesty it is - a mockery on the sacred genre of westerns to appeal to girls.

I have to say,I thought BM was an outstanding movie.

• Advertisement

I have to say,I thought BM was an outstanding movie.

It is a Cowboy Movie for girls and a love story so is a chick flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Knocked up was sorta chickflicky/stoner funny but did'nt bother me to much...

CDfm wrote: »
    It is a Cowboy Movie for girls and a love story so is a chick flick

Ah I dunno about that amigo.The love aspect is only part of the film.Hell,Oldboy has a love story element (albeit a very twisted one) and thats sure as hell not a chick flick.

Ah I dunno about that amigo.The love aspect is only part of the film.Hell,Oldboy has a love story element (albeit a very twisted one) and thats sure as hell not a chick flick.

Brokeback Mountain is a romantic drama therefore a chick flick and did more to harm the Western Genre than Dr Quinn Medicine Woman. John Wayne must be spinning in his grave.

Any of you seen the boat that rocked? Well it was only comical! I roared laughin the whole way through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nope i prefer cartoons like ice age and stuff :D
    i giggle like a 12 year old and sid the sloth is cool

Monsters inc? or cars? oh my god, I love them!!!

reason I mentioned The boat that rocked is because I went to see it when I was in new zealand earlier in the year and I was in christchurch for a few days on my own while waiting on some friends so I said I'd head off the pictures on me own so wanted something funny and that was all that was on so I was like 'meh' and off I went. Stocked up with a few bottles of beer from the bar, because yes, you can bring you beer into the movie with you \o/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

but would much rather watch something like Star Trek or one of the Bourne films rather than an out and out action flick like say Rambo.

Damn your lucky !! ive been trying to convince the missus to watch even one of the Bourne movies for years , yet im subjected on a regular basis to the usual rom-com trash women watch !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

Bottom line, if she insists on you going, just turn off, and enjoy the pretty pictures of the hot chicks that are nearly always in chick flicks. sometimes in their under clothing ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If it's RomCom I can usually stomach it. It depends if I like the male lead actor. "The Breakup" with Vince Vaughn was pretty good.

That being said, if it's a Romantic Drama, I'll simply refuse to watch it. There's no 2 ways about it. Unless of course it's set during a War or something.

Also, must profess my love of CGI movies also. If it's CGI I've more than likely watched it. Most underrated CGI movie has to be "Open Season". I'm surprised by the amount of people that haven't seen it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement