Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to properly Zero a Scope?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Ok i need your help on Zeroing my scopes, please find the devices and scopes in question below;
    • JG BAR 10 G-SPEC
      - SCOPE: STOCK 3-9x40 ILLUMINATED SCOPE
    • CA M15A4 TACTICAL CARBINE
      - SCOPE: LEAPERS GOLDEN IMAGE 4X32 MINI

Right, so in my house i have 70-80ft to play with to zero the scopes, first question does the distance you zero a scope at matter? if it does i can get access to 120ft which is recommended in the manual.

So on to actually zeroing the scope, so i place the scope onto the devices.. now do i use a Vice? to keep it stable or not? this is where i need help can someone please give me easy to follow steps.

Regards,
    Justin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

I can give you a little help just from zeroing in real rifles but of course airsoft is a lot differant. Zeroing your scope at a certain distance does matter but not in the way that youre saying basically if you zeroed your scope in at 40 feet and you take a couple of shots at 60 feet the shot will go lower than at 40 feet so you will have to aim a bit higher than before to get it accurate. So make sure you have the scope zeroed in for a distance that you will be firing from often.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

Thanks, very helpful... so do i use a Vice to steady the device or do i just shoulder it, i was told to keep it as steady as possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You need to start by setting your hopup so you can get the best range and accuracy possible from the gun, when you have done this, mount the scope and fire the rifle a few times. then adjust the scope gradually to line up as closely as possible to the shot. You'll never hit the same small target every time at distance so you just want to get the scope as true as possible.

Perfect thank you, that pretty much answers all my questions i think.

About what you were saying with the vice. You have to keep it as steady as possible so make sure you have something under the airsoft when firing I dont think a vice is very practical if it is not steady then you wont be able to tell if its the sights that are off or was it just human error and as Masada said take about three shot to get a group and slowly make adjustments until your on target.

• Advertisement

I planned on wrapping the rifle in a cloth and placing it in a vice as tight as possible (without damage obviously) which should ensure its very steady

I guess that will work but when they said make sure its as steady as possible your it taking very far. Im sure thats fine just seems like to much work to me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Check out my thread in this sub forum... The Airsoft Sniper... There's a section on zeroing a rifle. You may find it useful. I find a vice pointless for airsoft. You will never be shooting from a vice in the field, and as such you need to get used to shouldering it and aiming and zeroing at the same time. prone is best if you can, but kneeling or sitting works well.

It takes time, and some paitence, but its fairly easy to do.

As people have pointed out, range one zeros at is important in RS, but so much more in airsoft... our overall trajectory is shorter, therefore zeroing at 40, and aiming at 60 as pointed out makes a massive difference in some guns, Generaly zero at the furthest range you will confidently engage at, and calculate back and forth from that point mentally.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Firekitten wrote: »
    Check out my thread in this sub forum... The Airsoft Sniper... There's a section on zeroing a rifle. You may find it useful.

FYI Sinister747;

The Airsoft Sniper (Serial)

and the discussion thread on same.

Thanks for all the help and information guys, massivley appreciated..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

I zero my scope to 50m with a vice, and with perfect zeroing can nail a torso at that range 4/5 times. I recall taking the 'elusive perfect shot' recently at 100m. Aimed high, compensated for wind, then slowly squeezed the trigger. POP. 'ow my head you mother****er' was the result, followed by the noise of BB's falling short.

You zero with the same BB weight you shoot with.

Advertisement