Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute Fluids

• 17-08-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Since I've been in the recovery business I've heard a few tales about using common household things as substitute automotive fluids to get you out of a hole in an emergency. Haven't tried any of these myself, just looking to see if anyone heard of them before.

Coca-Cola as a substitute for Brake/Clutch fluid
    Milk as a substitute for Hydraulic Fluid
    Washing up liquid as a substitute for Brake/Clutch fluid
    Diesel Oil as a substitute for ATF
    WD40 as a substitute for Easy/Power Start

Anyone ever heard of them or any others? The Milk as a substitute for Hydraulic Fluid is apparently renowned in the aviation industry in the event that the landing gear loses hydraulic fluid.

Can't see the Diesel Oil as a substitute for ATF working very well :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

macroman wrote: »
    Since I've been in the recovery business I've heard a few tales about using common household things as substitute automotive fluids to get you out of a hole in an emergency. Haven't tried any of these myself, just looking to see if anyone heard of them before.

Coca-Cola as a substitute for Brake/Clutch fluid
    Milk as a substitute for Hydraulic Fluid
    Washing up liquid as a substitute for Brake/Clutch fluid
    Diesel Oil as a substitute for ATF
    WD40 as a substitute for Easy/Power Start

Anyone ever heard of them or any others? The Milk as a substitute for Hydraulic Fluid is apparently renowned in the aviation industry in the event that the landing gear loses hydraulic fluid.

Can't see the Diesel Oil as a substitute for ATF working very well :(

ATF is a apparently a good substitute for brake & clutch fluid.
    Milk as a substitute for Hydraulic Fluid is apparently renowned in the aviation industry in the event that the landing gear loses hydraulic fluid.

I seriously doubt that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Confab wrote: »
    Me too... it's a very Craggy Island solution :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Confab wrote: »

Me too. Would you be happy if the Captain came on and said:"You will have to drink black tea today as we need to put the milk we have into the landing gear as we have dumped the hydraulic fluid somewhere over the North Atlantic, but don't worry, milk is a renowned substitute for hydraulic fluid... And by the way meals will be slow as 2 of our wonderful air hostess' are currently in the hold trying to fill the rams! Once again we would like to thank for choosing Air Tight and we hope you have an enjoyable flight"

I don't think so!

The only ones I have heard are an egg in the radiator to block a hole and using a pair of tights as a replacement fan-belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    The only ones I have heard are an egg in the radiator to block a hole and using a pair of tights as a replacement fan-belt.

They proved the egg in the radiator idea works on Mythbusters. I'm not so sure about tights as a fanbelt. That said, if the economy gets even worse I may well borrow a new timing belt from my girlfriend's undies drawer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know in Cuba they have some interesting substitutes for brake and clutch fluid etc. think they involve shampoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If only McGyver was a member! he'd show us all.

Used the egg white on a leaking radiator and WD40 to help start

a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I've used Seat-belts for towing...and a Dunnes Stores jumper which held up right until the van started up in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I can confirm the egg in radiator one as true from experiences.

One which i believe is a myth but partly plausable is putting vodka into the rad from lost coolant though I believe this would have dire consequences.

Advertisement