Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours from hell

Options
  • 17-08-2009 5:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

For the last 2/3 months myself and my mother are having problem with neighbour. She isnt able to sleep because of a buzzing noise and burning smell that is coming into the house next door. We have called the police and also had people from the local authority out to inspect, but they cant seem to find anything wrong, although it may be a case that they are stopping what they are doing as soon as anyone comes to have a look.
    She isnt going mad as I have smelt burning smells too and have also heard noises too at 6am. We are at our wits end her and have had enough, moreso her than me, Im really worried now.

Is there any advice you guys can give.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it electrical?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    Is it electrical?

+1 It sounds like a faulty wire or similar, possibly even in the wall between the two properties.

Check the wall where the noise is loudest, is it anyway warmer than elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

You got to wonder who the neighbour from hell is!:eek: Calling the police because of a buzzing sound and smell? The suggestion is you called the police first. It sounds like a faulty electrical appliance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Kipperhell wrote: »
    You got to wonder who the neighbour from hell is!:eek: Calling the police because of a buzzing sound and smell?

+ 1 Are these new neighbours? Are they renting or did they buy? Have you tired to talk to them before calling the cops on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cassiopeia1

Have you checked for scorch marks on the walls?A neighbour had a house fire last year,which started with an unexplained smell of smoke. This 'mysterious' smell lasted a couple of weeks and then a fire began within her walls! I hope that I have not frightened you, but it's better to check all bases.
    How loud is this buzzing sound? Can you hear it outside? What does it sound like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Moe Szyslak

Have you checked for scorch marks on the walls?A neighbour had a house fire last year,which started with an unexplained smell of smoke. This 'mysterious' smell lasted a couple of weeks and then a fire began within her walls! I hope that I have not frightened you, but it's better to check all bases.
    How loud is this buzzing sound? Can you hear it outside? What does it sound like?

The buzzing sound, gets higher and lower all day, we think it may be a scanner, hmmmm. There is also 2 mats in my room that appear to be sticking to the floor. My mother reckons its because of heat.
    There also seems to be some sort of light coming from underneath the floorboards in hotpress.
    At one point in the 2/3months there was a smell of Gas, Bord Gais gave us the all clear. Things is we dont know what these people are capable off, no they arent new neighbour, they are here years also.
    We just can live like this anymore!

P.S Thanks for you replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Call an electrician first thing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm not sure what the electrical problem is. But I wondering how you thought the Gardai were going to solve it.

As for noise at 6am?
    Some of us start work at these times so if the noise isn't excessive then you'll have to deal with it.

I'd hope my neighbours don't call the gardai at me when my beside alarm goes off at 5am

mikemac wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the electrical problem is. But I wondering how you thought the Gardai were going to solve it.

As for noise at 6am?
    Some of us start work at these times so if the noise isn't excessive then you'll have to deal with it.

I'd hope my neighbours don't call the gardai at me when my beside alarm goes off at 5am

who said it was an electrical problem, this noise is on day and all night, hence why my mother hasnt slept properly in 2months. Hope your mother doesnt have to go through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

who said it was an electrical problem,

4 posters above me

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    4 posters above me

that is just guesswork mate.

Only thing that will tell us or not that its electrical is a sparks.
    Will be getting one out later, thanks for the advise guys.
    Although I dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd be going on the bad wiring line also. But I'd be more worried about your own house then theres.

The buzzing sound, gets higher and lower all day, we think it may be a scanner, hmmmm. There is also 2 mats in my room that appear to be sticking to the floor. My mother reckons its because of heat.
    There also seems to be some sort of light coming from underneath the floorboards in hotpress.
    At one point in the 2/3months there was a smell of Gas, Bord Gais gave us the all clear. Things is we dont know what these people are capable off, no they arent new neighbour, they are here years also.
    We just can live like this anymore!

P.S Thanks for you replies

The thing that's confusing me is the fact that you can see into you neighbours house from yours, if that's the case then you need to call a builder in as your house doesn't appear to have a fire break between it and you neighbours.

The mats in your room are sticking to your floor, are there scorch marks on your walls or how is the heat getting into your room?

the light that we can see in the hotpress is faint, there are two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

two lights or two hotpresses.sounds like you left your boiler on.

cuppa wrote: »
    two lights or two hotpresses.sounds like you left your boiler on.

2 faint lights
    they were never there before, they come and go

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

do they live below you.do you think they are growing weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vbold

cuppa wrote: »
    do they live below you.do you think they are growing weed.

it's a possibility by the sounds of it - I would have though they would have notice the smell though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Things is we dont know what these people are capable off

Who are "these people"? Is there some reason that you think they are capable of anything? You still haven't stated if you have attempted to talk to them before jumping to calling the cops. If they've been there for years when did this 'noise'/'smells' start? I'm still not understanding how these are neighbours from hell with just this noise - if it's driving you so mad then why aren't you knocking on their door and asking to investigate it rather then calling the cops or board gas. What about other neighbours, have they complained about noises or smells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Lol, unexplained light, heat, buzzing sounds and an odd smell - sounds like they're growing cannabis plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Things is we dont know what these people are capable off,

Why do you say that? Have you had problems with them before?

And trust me, if they were growing cannabis plants you would be able to smell it if you're able to smell a burning smell from their flat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

a buzzing noise and burning smell that is coming into the house next door.

Possibly.........

7002%20Vibrator%20ad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

seahorse wrote: »
    Lol, unexplained light, heat, buzzing sounds and an odd smell - sounds like they're growing cannabis plants!
    I got about 5 posts into this thread and thought the same myself.

OP - is the light blueish at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

I'd like to think the gardai that the OP called would of noticed the smell of grass

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Did the local authority visit you or your neighbours house?
    Get them to visit your house at a time when this is always happening. If it stops then obviously something odd is going on.

Some people haven't a clue what weed smells like if they have't been around it so find a friend/student who is a stoner and get them to check out the smell. Lights and lots of heat is needed to grow weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

There is a house near us and they smoke cannabis but they also have tin foil on the windows, is this a sign of them growing it aswell?

Most likely...you have to block out all external light and make the room as airtight as possible. You have to be able to control air, humidity, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

thanks, i wasnt sure.

Also the only other logical reason to have tin foil in windows is in a very hot climate to reflect sunlight...this is Ireland we don't exactly see 35-40 degrees very often:)

http://www.rollitup.org/indoor-growing/13753-should-i-use-some-tin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

alie wrote: »
    There is a house near us and they smoke cannabis but they also have tin foil on the windows, is this a sign of them growing it aswell?
    Can be...in the UK they use the UV sensors of police helicopters to detect 'unusual' heat sources eminating from lofts. Tin foil usually refects such tell-tale heat signatures back into the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can be...in the UK they use the UV sensors of police helicopters to detect 'unusual' heat sources eminating from lofts. Tin foil usually refects such tell-tale heat signatures back into the room.

They use the FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) camera not a UV sensor, as growing grass produces loads of heat. The Gardai do this also, as the FLIR is always on and if they see a hot spot they can send someone to investigate.

Advertisement