Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all nerds - Dublin City Streetnames :)

Options
  • 17-08-2009 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭

In doing submissions on the current round of public consultations by Dublin City Council (Taxi Ranks and Speed Limits) I've come across streets, bridges, etc. that even I didn't know about. :) Hands up who has heard of Middle Gardiner Street?

Dublin City Council consider this list about 98% definitive and is official http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/SeirbhisiGaeilge/Pages/SraidainmneachaBhaileAthaCliathDublinCityStreetNames.aspx However, there are problems, e.g. the once upon a time re-naming of one street as "Nassau Street", but retaining the Irish "Sráid Thobar Phádraig" (St. Patrick's Well Street), named after the well in TCD.

Another problem is streets named for saints - Luke Street and Andrew Street were originally named after the saints. Luke Street seems to have been shortened at all levels, but maps still refer to St. Andrew Street - the dropping of the "Saint" is in speech only. An associated problem is whether it is "St. Michan Street" or "St. Michans Street" or "St. Michan's Street"

Then there is Upper & Lower, Little & Great, East & West (there are four Liffey Streets - upper, lower, West and South). This brings the quandry - is Little Britain Street (Sráid na Breataine Bheag) a small street named after Britain or a street name after Little Britain (An Bhreatain Bheag = Wales)?

Someone has carried out an English-Irish exercise here, but I don't know if it includes missing "streets"

http://www.photopol.com/signs/sraidbac/sraidbac.html
    http://www.iol.ie/~sob/sraid/
    http://www.iol.ie/~sob/sraid/tablabac.html

Anyway, I've compiled a list of things that could be added to the council list and attached it. Feel free to add.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Victor wrote: »
    ... is Little Britain Street (Sráid na Breataine Bheag) a small street named after Britain or a street name after Little Britain (An Bhreatain Bheag = Wales)? ...

I came across this last night and originally thought it was a mistake!

Sráid na Breataine Bheag is a small street named after Britain, whereas Sráid na Breataine Bige would be a street named after Little Britain/Wales.

What do you mean by 'missing "streets"'?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Missing from the council list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is Little Britain Street not entirely under the ILAC now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I see Dublin City Council suggest the much more sensible Plás Beresford for Beresford place instead of Dublin Bus' hilarious Dúin Sméara which used to occasionally appear.

spurious wrote: »

The Little Britain Street I saw last night is near the junction of Parnell Street and Capel Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may be thinking of Little Denmark Street.

Little / Britain Street / Little http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=53.349341~-6.269419&style=r&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well the name Great Britain came about to distinguish it from Lesser Britain which is refering to Brittany, France. That's what I'd always thought(in adulthood at least) that the name of Little Britain St. was in reference to. Perhaps a Huguenot connection?

That's right - I was mixing it up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hands up who has heard of Middle Gardiner Street?
    I thought that was common knowledge Victor! The recently demolished Fr Scully House and the Hill 16 pub are on Gardiner Street Middle.

(AFAIK it's one of only two streets in Dublin with a "Middle").

GardinerStreetMiddle1.jpg
    Victor wrote:
    This brings the quandry - is Little Britain Street (Sráid na Breataine Bheag) a small street named after Britain or a street name after Little Britain (An Bhreatain Bheag = Wales)?
    I tend to think of it as Little Britain - Street" as opposed to "Little - Britain Street.

Others will argue that it is the lesser end of Great Britain Street as they are almost aligned (Great Britain Street is now Parnell Street) and we have Britain Place (not Great Britain Place) off Great Britain Street.

Here's a few pics of Little Britain Street for those not familiar with it. It links Capel Street to Halston Street.

LittleBritainStreet-1.jpg

LittleBritainStreet2-1.jpg

LittleBritainStreetSign-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I see Dublin City Council suggest the much more sensible Plás Beresford for Beresford place instead of Dublin Bus' hilarious Dúin Sméara which used to occasionally appear.

I'll tell you what else is hilarious on Dublin Busses.

Any bus that uses the Whitworth Road will sometimes have

Via Bóthar Fuitbeirt - which is assume is some Gaelicisation

But inexplicabley some of them will have

Via Bóthar Ard Liath - which is actually Ardlea Road, in Artane. :confused:

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Well the name Great Britain came about to distinguish it from Lesser Britain which is refering to Brittany, France.

According to this source on the etymology of the term 'Great Britain', that's how it got it's name.

I tend to think of it as Little Britain - Street" as opposed to "Little - Britain Street.

Others will argue that it is the lesser end of Great Britain Street as they are almost aligned (Great Britain Street is now Parnell Street) and we have Britain Place (not Great Britain Place) off Great Britain Street.

If the Irish equivalent can be trusted, it's "Little - Britain Street". The Irish name on the sign below is grammatically correct if it is "Little - Britain Street". There are plenty of mistakes in the Irish names of the streets, but "Little Britain Street" is not a name an Irish translator would automatically translate correctly without having done any research.

LittleBritainStreetSign-1.jpg
    [/quote]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

According to this source on the etymology of the term 'Great Britain', that's how it got it's name.

Indeed, I should have been more specific. The terms Britania Major and Britania Minor were used to differentiate the regions.

(AFAIK it's one of only two streets in Dublin with a "Middle").

Middle Abbey Street (Luas tracks)
    Middle Mountjoy St. (near the black church)
    and, er, Middle third? (Killester)

Advertisement