Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defacto Visa

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Im urrently in Australia on a WHV, im here with my GF, shes a citizen and ive been here for 6 months now.
    Ive got a good job here and i plan on stayin here for a few years, so thats why i dont want to get the second working holiday visa, as it only lets me work for an employer for 6 months.
    I am applying for a defacto Visa, and i am wondering if i have enough evidence of our relationship.
    -I have various Airline online tickets from holidays we took,
    -photos of us on holidays, and at social events,
    -we have a joint bank account here in Oz,
    -i can get statements from 2 or more Australian citizens confirming our relationship.
    -I have letters to myself and nes to her with the same adddress on it her in oz.
    -some movie tickets.

Will this be enough?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mackman wrote: »
    Im urrently in Australia on a WHV, im here with my GF, shes a citizen and ive been here for 6 months now.
    Ive got a good job here and i plan on stayin here for a few years, so thats why i dont want to get the second working holiday visa, as it only lets me work for an employer for 6 months.
    I am applying for a defacto Visa, and i am wondering if i have enough evidence of our relationship.
    -I have various Airline online tickets from holidays we took,
    -photos of us on holidays, and at social events,
    -we have a joint bank account here in Oz,
    -i can get statements from 2 or more Australian citizens confirming our relationship.
    -I have letters to myself and nes to her with the same adddress on it her in oz.
    -some movie tickets.

Will this be enough?:(

I have a defacto visa in NZ and the more evidence you have the better. It's the hard stuff they want, i.e. financial evidence or other official evidence. I wouldn't imagine movie tickets would be in any way useful as they don't have your names on them. It's good you have a joint bank account. Do you have any travel tickets with both your names on them? Do you have evidence of money transferring between your bank accounts before you had a joint account (I included AIB statements showing me paying my OH money for things - we also had a joint account in Ireland and in NZ). Do you have any letters from friends and family to you (i.e. not written to immigration to support your relationship) supporting your relationship (by that I mean Christmas cards addressed to you both or wedding invitations, not letters to immirgation saying xx and yy are in a couple and I have known them for z numbers of years. Apparently they set more store by genuine letters to you as opposed to statements from people saying you are in a relationship)

Sounds like you have more evidence than some other people do but we cannot give you definitive immigration advice here, it is up to aus immigration to decide if you have enough evidence but it looks like you have a similar amount to what we had in NZ - although we had a few more official things. e.g. a lease in both our names for apartments we rented together both in Dublin and NZ. Can you get a lease with your names on it? Hard evidence like that is the best things to provide. Just get as much evidence as you possibly can, anything official with both your names on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Thanks for the reply, I think i have an invite to an engagement party somewhere, not sure. I have 3 travel tickets with both our name on it from the past few years. We dont have a lease though.

I have all the christmas cards and stuff like that back in Ireland, i might be able to get someone to send them over to me. (if they can find them haha:)) Ill keep collecting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm here on that visa and one of the main conditions was that you have to have been living together for 12 months or more, or have good explanations for any time you've spent apart. You may have problems if this isn't the case with you guys. A lease signed by both of you would be the best way to do this. If you don't have that then you'll probably need a letter or bill addressed to both of you for every month of that year. We sent off our application with something for March and May and they replied asking for something to prove we were together in April!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I went on a defacto Visa too,had to get all the same proof as you do.

Wasn`t too hard as we had amongst others hotel receipts going back a few years,bank statements too,loads of photos and a teacher and priest vouch for our relationship,and some funds in the bank;).

I had to apply mostly true email and post to UK,then the day came i opened my inbox and i was accepted!Always had my doubts.

We came back December and are planning on getting back out hopefully Feb next year.

Valid for 5 years once activated,might go for he citizenship shortly down the line.

Best of luck.

the dee wrote: »
    I'm here on that visa and one of the main conditions was that you have to have been living together for 12 months or more, or have good explanations for any time you've spent apart. You may have problems if this isn't the case with you guys. A lease signed by both of you would be the best way to do this. If you don't have that then you'll probably need a letter or bill addressed to both of you for every month of that year. We sent off our application with something for March and May and they replied asking for something to prove we were together in April!

Best of luck!

Thanks, We have been together for over 2 years, i dont know how to convince them of that though. We certainly dont have a letter/bill to both of us for the 12 months :(
    Gregsor wrote: »
    I went on a defacto Visa too,had to get all the same proof as you do.

Wasn`t too hard as we had amongst others hotel receipts going back a few years,bank statements too,loads of photos and a teacher and priest vouch for our relationship,and some funds in the bank;).

Best of luck.

Thanks Gregsor, hopefully what i have will be enough. its a lot of money though, $2500!!:eek: and it doesnt get refunded if your refused, so i want to be sure i have everything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Surfdude100

A friend of mine got the second applicant visa and she only had to proof they are living together since 6 month. Might be different, because they are on a sponsorship visa...not sure...did you get yours yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I got my defacto visa granted in July, heading there in March 2010.
    The main thing is 12 months living together. We didn't have joint bank accounts, or statements from Australians. Only statements from my family and from friends.
    It's supposed to be harder to get the defacto in Australia, would you consider coming back home and applying from here? Mine took 3 months exactly (and a lot of paper work).
    We are heading to Melbourne..

We've decided to head back to ireland after my WHV is up. Starting to miss Ireland too much, and the hassle of getting another Visa, when we would probably end up only staying for an extra few months is not worth it. Ah well, i can always come back, it seems to be easier to apply for a visa outside the country:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

We've decided to head back to ireland after my WHV is up. Starting to miss Ireland too much, and the hassle of getting another Visa, when we would probably end up only staying for an extra few months is not worth it. Ah well, i can always come back, it seems to be easier to apply for a visa outside the country:confused:

At least you have a good idea whats required now and can work towards gathering all the info and meeting the criteria should you decide to apply further down the line. Also, and I am open to correction, if you can prove 5 yrs together you can get straight to PR. Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Don`t do it,we did it in Dec 08 decided to come back for family reasons and catch up after been gone for 26 months and it was a big mistake:eek:,should have just done it for 2 months say,that would`ve done us!

Missed Ireland tons when we were over there,now i can`t wait to get away from it again.

Planning on returning as a family in February next year.

Making it even worse now is my sis is back from NZ for 1 months visit,she left same time i went to Australia,like rubbing salt on a wound.

Still Christmas at home is priceless and i am chuffed to be seeing 2 out with the folks.

Apologies for mentioning Christmas this time of year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement