Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend in Germany being ripped off

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Have a friend in Germany,

She's living in an Apartment and one day went out leaving the sky light open.

It rained that day and some water dripped in onto the floor, while she was out someone came in and cleaned the apartment as this is part of the service.

Now the landlord is claiming that the entire floor needs to be repaired and has handed her a quote in German from a company for 52sqm of floor and underfloor.

There is no visible damage to the floor and the quote comes to 2349 euros.

I think this is totally ridiculous.... I have liability insurance for me apartment there (plus my landlord isn't a total as%hole)

What options does she have :/ ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

craichoe wrote: »
    Have a friend in Germany,

She's living in an Apartment and one day went out leaving the sky light open.

It rained that day and some water dripped in onto the floor, while she was out someone came in and cleaned the apartment as this is part of the service.

Now the landlord is claiming that the entire floor needs to be repaired and has handed her a quote in German from a company for 52sqm of floor and underfloor.

There is no visible damage to the floor and the quote comes to 2349 euros.

I think this is totally ridiculous.... I have liability insurance for me apartment there (plus my landlord isn't a total as%hole)

What options does she have :/ ?

Does she have the Act of God insurance . I forget what the real name is

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Might get a better response in Accomodation & Property as it really isn't a Consumer Issue.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

tell her to get the landlord to provide proof (from an independent third party) that 1 - her act of leaving the skylight open did the damage stated and 2 - that the whole flooring needs to be replace and 3 - that the cost he is charging is reasonable.

sounds like somebody taking the p*ss to me.

worst case scenario...leave town!:eek:

Advertisement