Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Ardkeen switching to border prices

• 17-08-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be worth mentioning here that Tesco Ardkeen are closing on Sun and Mon next (23rd & 24th) to allow them to switch to border prices.

I'm not sure about the filling station. I guess they'll operate solely for fuel purchase??

Hopefully our pockets will notice the difference!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The fuel station can't switch to Northern Ireland prices for fuel as they have to pay Irish VAT rates on fuel by law, if they didn't they'd be breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Also they are NOT using NI prices as they have extra VAT to take account of, the minimum wages, higher rates, power/heat etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    The fuel station can't switch to Northern Ireland prices for fuel as they have to pay Irish VAT rates on fuel by law, if they didn't they'd be breaking the law.

Sorry Cabaal, I may have been misleading about the filling station. What I meant to say was that I was unsure if they would be closing for the two days as they also sell convenience goods which would come under the pricing change. I wasn't suggesting that the fuel prices would be affected, merely that they might stay open and only sell fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Indeed, hopefully also they wont put hundreds of Irish Jobs in their current Irish suppliers under threat.:rolleyes: I have my doubts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unlikely any jobs will be effected but I think (could be wrong) they are switching suppliers. Some reports that other products have seen a price increase though.

PS Tesco Polberry is also being closed to update prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

In their supermarkets that have already had the changeover the prices have since gone back up. Some items are now dearer than beforehand. Just keep an eye on your receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    Unlikely any jobs will be effected but I think (could be wrong) they are switching suppliers. Some reports that other products have seen a price increase though.

PS Tesco Polberry is also being closed to update prices.
    As far as I know they're renovating the Poleberry store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »

Nope, thats put off afaik. This is a two day closure for the "Change for Good". Cant see any renovation taking two days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flowertot

AdMMM wrote: »

yeah poleberry closed saturday 15 aug until sept 1st for renovation

well thats what the signs in tesco said anyway
    sooner the better as it is badly needed in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are you sure about that Sully? They have banners up saying it is closed for about 2 weeks. And exterior renovation had already started by this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully actually wrong about something, now that's a first;)

Only kidding Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    Are you sure about that Sully? They have banners up saying it is closed for about 2 weeks. And exterior renovation had already started by this afternoon.

:o

I must have read the sign COMPLETELY wrong. My bad. Sorry folks :(

*thinks of decent excuse*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Unlikely any jobs will be effected but I think (could be wrong) they are switching suppliers.

But the critical part of it is that the switch is from Irish based to UK based suppliers.
    In this Irish Times article Friends First economist and Waterford native Jim Power claims that 100,000 jobs are at risk if the other supermarkets go down the UK suppliers route.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781219.html

So 3 cheers for Tesco..hip hip:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The filling station will close too.

Poleberry are getting a refresh, not the knock and rebuilt plan that planning applications were made for late last year. So Sully your mostly right.

That article Irish times article is from June 30th and after a querie from the consumer association, documentation was presented and the claims of price cuts being revoked was dropped as far as I know. See the Rip off Ireland thread.

I was in a Dublin store about 6 weeks ago, the same size as Ardkeen when they had the switch over and I have yet to see any supermarket come close in price for branded products. Especially Health and beauty and munchies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

gscully wrote: »
    Thought it might be worth mentioning here that Tesco Ardkeen are closing on Sun and Mon next (23rd & 24th) to allow them to switch to border prices.

I'm not sure about the filling station. I guess they'll operate solely for fuel purchase??

Will they be doing the same for the Tramore store?

Pinarello wrote: »
    Will they be doing the same for the Tramore store?

I would assume so, I think its coming to all stores (or most). They give notice usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

just reading treads from different county's and seems that they are only doing this in some stores in the country, which basically means that one store in each city will be the cheap one and the rest will be stocking the usual Irish brands, they're introducing one cheap british store which will be available in every city. The problem i can see is that the ardkeen store will be a resounding success and they then decide to follow suit in the other stores.

While I do agree that they're treating Irish producers and suppliers unfairly, everybody's pockets are being hit by the recession, I think that people will be delighted to buy the cheaper stuff.

this info was got from other treads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

if you look at the end of this page it says all the stores in cork will have border prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The filling station will close too.QUOTE]

No its just the main store closing,filling station will be open and operating as normal!And i was hoping for a nice couple of days off,bah!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All stores will have the new prices by Sept.

Ardkeen this Tuesday

Lisduggan + Poleberry + Tramore the Tuesday after.

ZiMZuM did you check the rota cause I really thought the PFS was closed......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Yeh i checked it alright,twice!they came up from the main store yesterday and put up signs in the PFS saying that although the main store is closing the PFS will operate as normal!

Id assume Polbery will be done when it re-opens? Rather then closing it twice?

Ardkeen begun their changes today - seem to be re-fitting (again) parts of their store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

So, Tesco Ardkeen is closed until tomorrow morning and they're changing to border prices.

I asked one of the supervisor girls yesterday, what exactly does border prices mean. She said:

"Basically, Sterling prices. You know how we've been doing it on the clothes? Pay the Pound price in Euros? Well that's what we're doing for every price now, store-wide".

I'm not sure she's got that right though. Surely Tesco will be losing money by doing that, big time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To me it just doesn't add up to me. Taking into account the exchange rate alone and we'll ignore all other factors they will be loosing the bones of €15 per €100 spent. Now you multiply that to daily sales nationwide there is noway they are going to piss away a few million a week just to match the prices with the north.

There is something more too this IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well we'll know soon eough (prepare for traffic backed up on the ORR tomorrow!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I think 'border prices' means the Ardkeen store becomes an annex of the UK store network with products sourced from Britain with the odd home-grown stuff thrown in to avoid making it too obvious what's going on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8033869.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ziedth wrote: »
    To me it just doesn't add up to me. Taking into account the exchange rate alone and we'll ignore all other factors they will be loosing the bones of €15 per €100 spent. Now you multiply that to daily sales nationwide there is noway they are going to piss away a few million a week just to match the prices with the north.

There is something more too this IMHO.

1. They are using different suppliers from the UK to reduce the cost.
    2. They will likely get way more customers.

Same topic twice. Merged. :)

I belive this is why the farmers stormed that meeting Tesco were having a few weeks back - because they were not using Irish suppliers as much as they used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

The only important question!
    Will alchol be border priced? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Tesco.ie online shopping already has the new "border prices".

First thing I checked was Aptamil Growing Up Milk 900g (call me obsessive - a regular purchase in our household). Tesco's old price was €12.49. Their new price is €9.75.

Big deal - Superquinn has been €8.87 for ages now.

Of course, one item isn't a "fair test", but a the minute it's hardly something to write home about..

Advertisement