Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme edition core 2

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into a new cpu for me motherboard. Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

According to the CPU support list the best I can put into it is a Core™ 2 Extreme QX6800, these are rare and expensive though I'd have to order one from the US or Hong Kong through Ebay from the looks of things. Whereas I could easily order a standard Q6700 off any website tomorrow.

Is it worth tracking down the QX6800 (or the QX6700) and paying slightly more for it? I don't see what the difference is, I asked google and all I got was "it's better" and something about overclocking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

God no, just slap in a Q6600.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Why are you going with 65nm processors?

According to the cpu support list, it supports the newer 45nm processors too. They consume less power, and run cooler.

Get a Q9550 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jonathan wrote: »
    Why are you going with 65nm processors?

According to the cpu support list, it supports the newer 45nm processors too. They consume less power, and run cooler.

Get a Q9550 or something.
    I don't think it does, the far right colum has N/A listed beside those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it does, the far right colum has N/A listed beside those.
    Apologies. I thought that list only showed processors that it supported, not ones it didn't support. :confused:

It caught me out the first time as well. :D

So I'm as well of going with the Q6700?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

yup

I'd go with a Q6600.

If you are really desperate for performance, you might just be better to upgrade the mobo too, so you can get the newer processors.

Why the Q6600? Is the Q6700 not a faster chip. The Q6700 is also cheaper for some reason.

Why the Q6600? Is the Q6700 not a faster chip. The Q6700 is also cheaper for some reason.
    I would have thought that the Q6600 would have been cheaper :confused:

£113 for the Q6700 on ebuyer compared to £134 for the Q6600. That's why I'm wondering if it has something over the Q6700?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

£113 for the Q6700 on ebuyer compared to £134 for the Q6600. That's why I'm wondering if it has something over the Q6700?

yeah its a way better overclocker, you can hit 3.6 easy with a third party cooler with little need for huge voltage, its a golden processor especially the slacr ones

requiem1 wrote: »
    yeah its a way better overclocker, you can hit 3.6 easy with a third party cooler with little need for huge voltage, its a golden processor especially the slacr ones

Hold on a second!!!

i'm pretty sure the Q6600 is not a better overclocker than the Q6700.

The reason why the Q6700 is cheaper is cause it doesn't come with a cooler and is the oem version meaning it also has no warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

requiem1 wrote: »

You'd get similar overclocks, all Q6700 are SLACR G0's and should hit 3.6Ghz. Q6600 is not a better oc'er, it was just more common, reason being that on first release there was the B3 Q6600 and the Extreme Edition QX6700 with unlocked multi (crazy money edition), later when the newer revision Q6600's G0's came out along with a new Q6700 with locked multi, the Q6600 gained notriety as the better chip as most people opted for it, it was always cheaper

Opps, didn't take any notice of it being OEM. Now it makes sense, I reckon I'll go with the Q6700, get me one of these, another 4gb of ram and a media centre remote. Then after 3 years of messing about my PC will officially be "finished".

not only is that fan out of stock but peeps have been raving about these http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994/show_product_reviews for a long time now and it's a bit cheaper and it's also from ebuyer(save on delivery)

About another 4gigs of ram...
    Well i have 4gigs in my system running windows 7 and playing l4d at everything maxxed at 1080 with anti virus and media player in the background it uses a wee bit under 2.2 gigs of ram. 8g's Ram is definitely not necessary no matter what you're doin! And it won't be for quite some time to come either.

Effluo wrote: »
    not only is that fan out of stock but peeps have been raving about these http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994/show_product_reviews for a long time now and it's a bit cheaper and it's also from ebuyer(save on delivery)
    I was looking at that, I'll be buying off Ebuyer but komplett have a much better selection of bling coolers. I also want quiet, I have a big copper graphics card that has no fan and is completely silent (except for the fan I had to put blowing on it to stop it over heating during games :o ).

I've got a bit of a copper theme going on inside the case.

I may stretch out to one of these though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

or one of these maybe there great i have a black one one of the best out there http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_true_copper_ultra-120_extreme_cpu_heatsink.html

massy086 wrote: »
    or one of these maybe there great i have a black one one of the best out there http://www.acousticpc.com/thermalright_true_copper_ultra-120_extreme_cpu_heatsink.html
    I was looking at those before, does it need a fan on it or do you just point it at the case fan?

The one thing that worries me about all these copper parts is the strain they put on the motherboard, I have a tower case so these things hang off the board rather than sit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

yes it needs a fan and dont wory about the strain there well try,d and tested and most think there the best out there thats why there not cheep

Advertisement