Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives in UCD

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

In need of a really easy elective for semester 1. Preferably no exam.

People should really consider IS20020 information literacy under the information studies school! very easy...the whole module consists of learning to write an essay which u had in at the end! Perfect for bringing up the GPA. Food, Diet and health is brilliant too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

COMP10030, ECON10030 iirc

They both have exams but they're fairly pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Sean_K wrote: »
    COMP10030, ECON10030 iirc

They both have exams but they're fairly pedestrian.

Although I didnt fail it ECON10030 does have a fairly high fail rate.

COMP10030 = Easy A if you go to lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Shouldn't people look for interesting electives instead of easy ones? If you enjoy something it becomes easier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I hear MATH40080 (Galois Theory) is a super easy elective, they only have one exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Really in need of an easy, no-exam elective too.

Is Food Diet and Health a good option? I was going to do it last year but was afriad it would be difficult. I love that sort of thing though so if it's easy I'll do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There's no exam in COMP10070. If you're intelligent, you should get an A easily. Attendance is fairly compulsory though. Your grade is based mainly on 5 class assignment/tests and secondarily on attendance and the other tutorial work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lisa20

yeah you should really do that! i did it in first year! i did biology and home ec for the leaving so if u have either of those it provides a good background! also the assessments are pretty fair and no assignments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I did food, diet + health having got an A in home ec + found it grand, but a mate had a c in home ec + just about passed it. Good module but it's not an easy one for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

the Information Studies modules are relatively easy...even the ones with exams are easy if you do any small amount of work

IS 10030 (Information Design) is easy...you learn about where you find information and how its used in day to day life... 70% essay at the end of the year, 15% tutorials and 15% MCQ...nice and handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I love the standard of UCD students these days.

• Advertisement

Glad your impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I'm thinking about German for beginners (LANG10100) and then Modern Europe (HIS10070). How do you think, is it going to be hard? Maybe take something from psychology or sociology instead of Modern Europe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

mloc wrote: »

Silly Comment. But there is one every year when this kind of thread comes up and its always someone on a nice high horse.

Its the system that flawed more so than the students. Why not do easy electives that guarantee you an A and a better GPA? To do otherwise would be insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Silly Comment. But there is one every year when this kind of thread comes up and its always someone on a nice high horse.

Its the system that flawed more so than the students. Why not do easy electives that guarantee you an A and a better GPA? To do otherwise would be insane.
    Presumably because you came to University to learn things that you are interested in and that may be useful to you in the future. That's the idea behind the system. You can cheat it if you want but don't act like it's the smart decision.

anyone happen to know what the psychology module Disability studies is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

That's why some of us are going here next October...:rolleyes:

An easy elective: Introduction to Human Geography, Part I, very easy so it is. Or Land Use and the Environment (AESC10010) excellent elective, easy and interesting.

I agree that the system is more flawed. What we have in Ireland is a prime example of any-degree-will-do devaluation of education. I firmly believe half of students shouldn't be in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Though I feel bad about giving you young whipper-snappers tips on easy modules, I'd suggest anything from Level One Social Policy or Info Studies. Things are quite straight forward, particulary in SP. The essay referencing and citing is really the most basic/simplistic you'll come across. Tutorials aren't compulsory either in SP, and you shouldn't need them anyway if you go to your lectures.

33% God wrote: »
    Presumably because you came to University to learn things that you are interested in and that may be useful to you in the future. That's the idea behind the system. You can cheat it if you want but don't act like it's the smart decision.

Nah Bollox, in this system you go to University to get a degree (any degree) as without one your employment and career opportunities are very limited. N

You also have people coming to college for the experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of those reasons. People shouldnt be made to feel guilty because they choose a reason for college which is outside what you think it should be. The system here is what makes is that way, not the people.

As it stands, UCD are the ones putting these joke electives out there for student to pick. Electives like Information Studies, Return to Learning as well as others. Anyone in their right mind would pick an easy one, to get an A and boost their GPA.

Its a very very smart decision to pick an easy elective. Do you think employers will give a **** if you have one person with a 2.1 and did relatively difficult electives? or one with a 2.1 and took the path of least resistance? They won't. A 2.1 is a 2.1. Same applies to a 1.1, or a pass. Its all the same.

Its a very very smart decision to pick an easy elective. Do you think employers will give a **** if you have one person with a 2.1 and did relatively difficult electives? or one with a 2.1 and took the path of least resistance? They won't. A 2.1 is a 2.1. Same applies to a 1.1, or a pass. Its all the same.

Dream on buddy. Nowadays an employer won't even bother with you unless your degree is hugely relevant to your field from day one. I'd take additional modules in your field and get the best quality degree you can, not just some piece of **** linguistics and canadian studies degree, which with the worlds best 1.1 isn't even worth recycling.

• Advertisement

Dream on buddy. Nowadays an employer won't give two shiites what your degree is unless it is hugely relevant to your field from day one.

Obviously.

I mean, say you have a 1.1 in Commerce and did the Accounting mode.You apply or a job with one of the big four. Your 1.1 is due to doing very well in all your core subjects and some very easy electives.

It wont matter about the electives and even if it is a consideraton it'll be waaaaaay down the list of variables that the employer will use to decide whether you are for the job or not.

i'm in a tough enough course with a very competitive path ahead of me if i hope to get into a masters (without a masters i am not even qualified). i need a high 2.1 or preferably a first. So seeing as fifty of my credits are in my field area, i really don't see the problem with taking an easy elective to take some of the pressure off!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bex2

Join the orchestra! Easiest 5 credits in ucd!! turn up at a few practices and the concert in mid November (or April semester 2) and you have yourself and A+ !!! Happy Days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Here's an unusual one folks: easy level 2+ electives

I'm not far off using up my allowance of Level 1 modules..

oh god...there is an allowance? ooops...well i dont think i have gone over it yet...anyone do applied languages German? or psychology of work?

opinions very welcome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

any1 know if theres any photography modules ??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Lucet wrote: »
    I'm thinking about German for beginners (LANG10100) and then Modern Europe (HIS10070). How do you think, is it going to be hard? Maybe take something from psychology or sociology instead of Modern Europe? :)

I did ME and German for Gen. Purposes 4 last semester

Finished with an A- in ME and a B in German...ME is interesting but involves a huge amount of reading and a tough exam at the end...so in short, I wouldn't recommend it. Also the lecturers, if the same as last semester, aren't very forgiving and mark very hard, so it's probably best to steer clear...

As for German, I had done it for the Leaving, but I can say that you are told to do all this work on Moodle and all that jazz, and the truth is I was wasting my time by doing it. Self-directed study towards the end of the semester will get you an A no problem (sadly I didn't realise that till about 2 days before the exam...:( ) also, the 40% exam is held in week 12, so that's one module done and dusted before the study week even begins. Pick this one!!!

Need any more advice, then give me a shout ;)

Lisa20 wrote: »
    oh god...there is an allowance? ooops...well i dont think i have gone over it yet...anyone do applied languages German? or psychology of work?

opinions very welcome!!!

I will be doing (hopefully) beginner level German. I'm in love with that language :rolleyes:. I was also thinking about some module from psychology, but I think I'm sticking up with Modern Europe :pac:

I did ME and German for Gen. Purposes 4 last semester

Finished with an A- in ME and a B in German...ME is interesting but involves a huge amount of reading and a tough exam at the end...so in short, I wouldn't recommend it. Also the lecturers, if the same as last semester, aren't very forgiving and mark very hard, so it's probably best to steer clear...

As for German, I had done it for the Leaving, but I can say that you are told to do all this work on Moodle and all that jazz, and the truth is I was wasting my time by doing it. Self-directed study towards the end of the semester will get you an A no problem (sadly I didn't realise that till about 2 days before the exam...:( ) also, the 40% exam is held in week 12, so that's one module done and dusted before the study week even begins. Pick this one!!!

Need any more advice, then give me a shout ;)

Thanks a lot. I did German in my home country for a half of the year and I love this language (didn't have an opportunity to do it here in school), so hopefully everything will be ok with German.

I know that history involves a lot of reading and so on, can you tell me (maybe in PM) what kind of questions come in exam situation? :) European history is really interesting for me and I love modern times (especially WWI and WWII :D)

Well, I found another interesting subject - Introduction to Physical and Forensic Anthropology (ANAT10030) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Shouldn't people look for interesting electives instead of easy ones? If you enjoy something it becomes easier :)

Perfect example is GEOG30020 (I think), Geography of Latin America. It's a subject that interested me so I took it, despite having not done geography since the JC. I went to every third lecture, did all the readings once and got a C.
    mloc wrote:

It should be going up this year, especially in science with that 85 point rise.

To infinity...and beyond!

Advertisement