Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives in UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Shouldn't people look for interesting electives instead of easy ones? If you enjoy something it becomes easier :)

Yes that logic was good in secondary school but with the way things have gone, people don't care about what they're interested in, it's what can get you a good (or great) degree. It's a ****e state of affairs. Personally, I only ever picked one elective outside of my school and even then it was very similar to the ones I was doing already, fact is; balance easy with interesting and something that is related to what you're doing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,986 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a thread like this every year. I'm a bit concerned that lecturers etc. are reading these threads and going "O RLY?" It's not in their interest to give any credits away for free, not if UCD's reputation is to be upheld. So I'd echo the advice to try and find something you're interested in, rather than just look for easy electives. It could backfire on you. :eek:

One point some folks seem to be missing here is that this question is all about the electives, the subjects you can do in any field at UCD. When it comes to the core subjects for your degree, you are limited to either a few options, or no choice at all, so it's not as if electives can seriously boost or damage your degree. Depending on the degree you're taking, your programme head may advise you to take certain "in-programme" electives, to go deeper in to the subject rather than look outside the subject. You don't have to follow that advice, but there are advantages to staying "in-programme" when choosing electives: it eliminates the possibility of scheduling clashes with lectures and exams.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

bnt wrote: »
    There's a thread like this every year. I'm a bit concerned that lecturers etc. are reading these threads and going "O RLY?" It's not in their interest to give any credits away for free, not if UCD's reputation is to be upheld. So I'd echo the advice to try and find something you're interested in, rather than just look for easy electives. It could backfire on you. :eek:

From what I gather, lecturers may not be too supportive of the elective system.

I'd hazard that the whole Horizons thing was a decision by administration as opposed to by the academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

bnt wrote: »

One point some folks seem to be missing here is that this question is all about the electives, the subjects you can do in any field at UCD. When it comes to the core subjects for your degree, you are limited to either a few options, or no choice at all, so it's not as if electives can seriously boost or damage your degree. Depending on the degree you're taking, your programme head may advise you to take certain "in-programme" electives, to go deeper in to the subject rather than look outside the subject. You don't have to follow that advice, but there are advantages to staying "in-programme" when choosing electives: it eliminates the possibility of scheduling clashes with lectures and exams.

Exactly, I want to do something that I like and would not have done without Horizons in other uni. I mean like, well, maybe I'll spend several more hours studying for something I will not actually need (who knows?), but at least I'll be interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

karmabass wrote: »
    Here's an unusual one folks: easy level 2+ electives

I'm not far off using up my allowance of Level 1 modules..

Critical Theory (ENG20400) and Logic:Informal and Formal (PHIL20020) sounds like a piece of cake :D I'm taking them this semester...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lisa20

think im going to try german for general purposes 1...sounds good and i love the german language!

just to clarify..i pick electives that are reasonably easy but within my interests so its not as if im looking at an elective and taking it just cos its easy. ovisly if its not something i like im not going to be very motivated. Just to clarify before people start getting all critical!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

If you like maths do a maths elective. Easy A+ when you do the tutorials.
    I also enjoyed "physical and forensic anthropology" and "introduction to cognitive science". They were also easy As, as well as being interesting.

Friends of mine do psychology and 1st year languages at every opportunity.

If someone else is allowed to do these easy modules as part of their degrees, then why not let people doing harder degrees get one or two easier modules to allow them to focus more on their cores? I'd be flattened if all my modules were as hard as my hardest ones.

I also don't like this GPA system - you can get 100% in scientific subjects, but it only counts as 80% ish. Eg. I get 40% in one exam and 100% in another. That should average to 70%- a 1.1. In UCD it averages to a GPA of (2+4.2)/2 = 3.1, a 2.2 I think. With all this pitted against me, I will definitely be doing an easy module this coming semester.

lizzyvera wrote: »
    If you like maths do a maths elective. Easy A+ when you do the tutorials.
    I also enjoyed "physical and forensic anthropology" and "introduction to cognitive science". They were also easy As, as well as being interesting.

Friends of mine do psychology and 1st year languages at every opportunity.

If someone else is allowed to do these easy modules as part of their degrees, then why not let people doing harder degrees get one or two easier modules to allow them to focus more on their cores? I'd be flattened if all my modules were as hard as my hardest ones.

I also don't like this GPA system - you can get 100% in scientific subjects, but it only counts as 80% ish. Eg. I get 40% in one exam and 100% in another. That should average to 70%- a 1.1. In UCD it averages to a GPA of (2+4.2)/2 = 3.1, a 2.2 I think. With all this pitted against me, I will definitely be doing an easy module this coming semester.

Can you tell me more about it? My friend was "scaring" me, that it's mostly chemistry, but I don't believe in her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It's about human evolution. You learn about all the living and extinct primates, and where they fit in. In labs you just look at skeletons. You have to learn the names of most of our bones, and how to figure out if they are left or right arm bones etc. There is a section on ethics and law, how to deal with human remains etc. There is a small section on geological eras and fossils. The lectures are very enjoyable and the final exam is an MCQ on evolution, although the practical exams are worth more.

I don't recall any chemistry. Maybe there is a course with a similar name. "Forensic" just means applying science to gather information, it is very broad. In this course the "forensic" bit is analysing fossils to gain insight into our evolution.

It's about human evolution. You learn about all the living and extinct primates, and where they fit in. In labs you just look at skeletons. You have to learn the names of most of our bones, and how to figure out if they are left or right arm bones etc. There is a section on ethics and law, how to deal with human remains etc. There is a small section on geological eras and fossils. The lectures are very enjoyable and the final exam is an MCQ on evolution, although the practical exams are worth more.

I don't recall any chemistry. Maybe there is a course with a similar name. "Forensic" just means applying science to gather information, it is very broad. In this course the "forensic" bit is analysing fossils to gain insight into our evolution.

Thanks. I thought it's going to be more about crimes and investigating it.. Well, then it's not for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

This is deliberate. A good first student should be good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    any1 know if theres any photography modules ??????????????

There was last year. I couldn't get into it. It was under architecture and landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Infernon wrote: »
    Critical Theory (ENG20400) and Logic:Informal and Formal (PHIL20020) sounds like a piece of cake :D I'm taking them this semester...

You will have a rude awakening if you think any English module especially a core module is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

I wish ye could do PE as an elective. itd be so handy

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You will have a rude awakening if you think any English module especially a core module is easy.

+1

Choose wisely Infernon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

English modules = Essays!!!

Anyone on boards ever do MDSA10230, Sign Language and Deaf Culture. Ucd website doesn't say much about the exams or work load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

Any good suggestions for medicine/science people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Theres a first year science module called introduction to calculus. Would i be right in thinking this is pretty easy as for LC we've done a good bit of calculus at honours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Ah here. Everything is full! I was moving house yesterday. Going into 2nd year arts. Do options become available again usually?

And why can't I select core modules today????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Nah Bollox, in this system you go to University to get a degree (any degree) as without one your employment and career opportunities are very limited. N

You also have people coming to college for the experience. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of those reasons. People shouldnt be made to feel guilty because they choose a reason for college which is outside what you think it should be. The system here is what makes is that way, not the people.

As it stands, UCD are the ones putting these joke electives out there for student to pick. Electives like Information Studies, Return to Learning as well as others. Anyone in their right mind would pick an easy one, to get an A and boost their GPA.

Its a very very smart decision to pick an easy elective. Do you think employers will give a **** if you have one person with a 2.1 and did relatively difficult electives? or one with a 2.1 and took the path of least resistance? They won't. A 2.1 is a 2.1. Same applies to a 1.1, or a pass. Its all the same.

Be wary of so called "joke electives" in Information Studies. I know of many people who have chosen them and treated like a piece of cake only to screw up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Like A Fox wrote: »
    Any good suggestions for medicine/science people??

The introduction to astronomy is interesting and quite easy, esp. if you know a little physics. Something like 30% of marks are on an online quiz - you can just Google the answers!! And no, there are no midnight classes with telescopes atop the water tower, it's just 2 lectures and 1 tutorial a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

Mardy Bum,I made a bit of a joke there.I was doing English in first year as a joint major with Philosophy, and I bloody well know it everything but easy.Infact,I think it's one of the most demanding arts subjects. But I am continuing with single major in Philosophy,taking the odd module in English. And of course I am aware critical theory is not an easy nut to crack,but it's well worth it. People were looking for an easy electives there, so I suggested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Is there any maths in that introduction to astronomy? what you mean a little physics? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

Applied Business Competencies, no exam, all continuous assessment, very easy stuff

Infernon wrote: »
    Mardy Bum,I made a bit of a joke there. People were looking for an easy electives there, so I suggested ;)

Thats a bit mean:p Some g*bsh*tes might put it down!:o I hope its not too hard all the same!:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Ello,

Slightly nervous parent here. Tomorrow I'll be registering loving offspring (who is going into 2nd Arts) for two electives, as offspring is off very foreign at the moment.

I think this is a silly question - well, I sorta HOPE it is, but -

It's okay to pick electives from Stage 1 of programmes, if a student is going on to Stage 2, isn't it?

Would be obliged if anyone could answer - thanks.

Ello,

Slightly nervous parent here. Tomorrow I'll be registering loving offspring (who is going into 2nd Arts) for two electives, as offspring is off very foreign at the moment.

I think this is a silly question - well, I sorta HOPE it is, but -

It's okay to pick electives from Stage 1 of programmes, if a student is going on to Stage 2, isn't it?

Would be obliged if anyone could answer - thanks.

Yes it is ok to register people for modules below their level.Anybody can do first year electives.

God it must be very foreign with no internet.

Thank you most kindly Mr/Ms Bum.

'Tis very foreign indeed - not even phone coverage for a while. Even more remote than Leitrim, actually.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Thank you most kindly Mr/Ms Bum.

'Tis very foreign indeed - not even phone coverage for a while. Even more remote than Leitrim, actually.:D

It might be a good idea to review the new registration tutorials on modules and the acceptable number of credits that can be taken at each stage.

• Advertisement

Thanks, well, I've registered her for 50 credits for this year - so just the two electives to do tomorrow. Could probably have done a bit better as regards timetabling - although she has nothing on Fridays - but those empty slots in the middle of a day are just perfect for studying in the library, surely?:D

Advertisement