Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives in UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

WeeBushy wrote: »
    It wouldn't though. A loan system like in England, and a functioning grant system, would have to be introduced. The financial status of parents wouldn't stop people going to college.

Grants are good, but regarding loans.. if I have to do a master AND phD for psychology, I don't want to already be in debt during my BA. That would mean needing to pay back loans for a long time..

Bull! Last year when I did intro to astronomy I only studied for 3 hours the night before and got an A.

It's not bull though. I'm not very physics and maths minded. And my friends who are didn't find it so easy. I just don't have a great memory for remembering details either. So not everyone is going to find it as easy as you did. I wish I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What so learning off a few facts and regurgitation them on an exam is difficult? Whatever.

Some people are good at learning off facts, some are not. Some find learning off facts about astronomy easy, some don't. I find writing English essays, short stories, newspaper articles etc easy and plenty don't find that easy. Whereas I had to work hard at Maths as my brain is not numerical. I could learn 1000 words in another language no problems. Ask me to learn a mathematical equation and I'd be stumped. The same applies to everybody in various areas.

Surely the concept of different brains being suited to different things is not beyond you? A few posters here found the module difficult because for whatever reason, it did not suit them. That can easily happen in an elective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Some people are good at learning off facts, some are not. Some find learning off facts about astronomy easy, some don't. I find writing English essays, short stories, newspaper articles etc easy and plenty don't find that easy. Whereas I had to work hard at Maths as my brain is not numerical. I could learn 1000 words in another language no problems. Ask me to learn a mathematical equation and I'd be stumped. The same applies to everybody in various areas.

Surely the concept of different brains being suited to different things is not beyond you? A few posters here found the module difficult because for whatever reason, it did not suit them. That can easily happen in an elective.

There wasn't a lot of numeracy needed in the intro to astronomy and space science modules, if I recall correctly you needed to know simply formulas like F=ma or speed equals distance over time (maybe one or two other formulas but I forget). They're just basic junior cert science formulas and all you're doing is plugging and chugging - no thinking needed, a monkey could do it. Multiplication and division - all you needed to understand (maybe a bit of trig but you have calculators people)!

When I was talking about learning off fact, I literally meant learning off facts, not learning how to use mathematics. There was very little mathematics on that course. You had to discuss some astronomical facts, for example 'explain the concept of a red giant and how it comes about'. All you had to do was learn off what was written on the slides on blackboard - again no real thought needed, just regurgitation. You didn't even have to structure it into a finely lade out and articulate essay, it wasn't like that. The modules didn't need any academic rigour at all.

Yeah, I really would like to know why those people actually found the module difficult, unless they're just acting like diehards.

AND NO, THIS IS NOT A CONDESCENDING POST!!

There wasn't a lot of numeracy needed in the intro to astronomy and space science modules, if I recall correctly you needed to know simply formulas like F=ma or speed equals distance over time (maybe one or two other formulas but I forget). They're just basic junior cert science formulas and all you're doing is plugging and chugging - no thinking needed, a monkey could do it. Multiplication and division - all you needed to understand (maybe a bit of trig but you have calculators people)!

When I was talking about learning off fact, I literally meant learning off facts, not learning how to use mathematics. There was very little mathematics on that course. You had to discuss something or other about astronomy, for example 'explain the concept of a red giant and how it comes about'. All you had to do was learn off what was written on the slides on blackboard - again no real thought needed, just regurgitation. You didn't even have to structure it into a finely lade out and articulate essay, it wasn't like that. The modules didn't need any academic rigour at all.

Yeah, I really would like to know why those people actually found the module difficult, unless they're just acting like diehards.

Sorry I should have kept the part about maths separate to the rest of the post. I was just using maths as an example of something I am not strong at compared to other subjects I consider "easy", I was not referring to that subject at all. It was just an example of how somebody can find something easy or difficult and another person could have the opposite view. I just mean that learning facts can be considered easy if you are into the area you are learning. I find formulas and astronomy boring so I would not really like to learn about astronomy.

So learning facts about astronomy can be easier if you naturally click with that area. My mind does not really cope with learning any formulas, yet it could learn long poems etc. Maybe the posters are like that. Or maybe they just do not like rote learning and regurgitating that in an exam. I could sympathise with that view. Some people just have different brains.

• Advertisement

Or maybe they just do not like rote learning and regurgitating that in an exam. I could sympathise with that view. Some people just have different brains.

The LC was exactly that, rote learning. How did they get into college if they didn't posses that skill?

The LC was exactly that, rote learning. How did they get into college if they didn't posses that skill?

In fairness you don't exactly need to ace the LC to get into many courses. Plus you are in school every day so it is a totally different learning environment.

In fairness you don't exactly need to ace the LC to get into many courses. Plus you are in school every day so it is a totally different learning environment.

In the ÉireTard education system, rote learning is essential if you even was to pass the LC let alone ace.

In the ÉireTard education system, rote learning is essential if you even was to pass the LC let alone ace.

My point is that it is different to the LC. Obviously I know you have to engage with rote learning in the LC (btw I have completed many modules on education and pedagogical techniques, so I am not pulling this from nowhere). A brain that does not engage well with rote learning for the LC, may still pick up enough knowledge from the classroom to get by. They will not do as well as they could with a different method, but they can still do well enough to get into college.

But University is different. And for dozens of reasons, some people are not as capable as some others are of learning off course material by rote.

My point is that it is different to the LC. Obviously I know you have to engage with rote learning in the LC (btw I have completed many modules on education and pedagogical techniques, so I am not pulling this from nowhere). A brain that does not engage well with rote learning for the LC, may still pick up enough knowledge from the classroom to get by. They will not do as well as they could with a different method, but they can still do well enough to get into college.

But University is different. And for dozens of reasons, some people are not as capable as some others are of learning off course material by rote.

It's happening in Unitversities too though. The bachelors degree is slowly being degraded and is no longer seen as it used to be. This is not just because of competition created by the amount of people doing bachelors degree nowadays, it's also to do with the lack of creativity and originality exhibited by the University curriculum across all major disciplines which only encourages rote learning in areas where creativity is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Fad wrote: »
    I've done Jap L&C1, workload was a bit higher than I expected tbh, also, one double class a week was a pain >_<

Didn't enjoy it at all, and I love Japanese culture.

Exact same. You've to learn everything the other languages do-like Spanish and French etc. but you've to know one of the alphabets fully, and part of the other two(there are four).

It's extremely difficult, a lot of my class struggled with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ktryan

Philharmonic Choir is level 2, marks basicly go for attendence and a once off group exam and then the perforamance.

It's happening in Unitversities too though. The bachelors degree is slowly being degraded and is no longer seen as it used to be. This is not just because of competition created by the amount of people doing bachelors degree nowadays, it's also to do with the lack of creativity and originality exhibited by the University curriculum across all major disciplines which only encourages rote learning in areas where creativity is essential.

Which does not disprove my point. Rote learning exists. It does not suit some people. Without the safety net of teachers, daily lessons etc, those people may struggle.

I'm well aware of the issues facing degrees. But none of that is relevant to the topic of whether some modules suit certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I found that Space Science one difficult enough myself. Was terrible at physics and found it hard enough. That being said if you do a bit of work you should pass it grand enough but I doubt I would get an easy A in it.

When I was talking about learning off fact, I literally meant learning off facts, not learning how to use mathematics. There was very little mathematics on that course. You had to discuss some astronomical facts, for example 'explain the concept of a red giant and how it comes about'. All you had to do was learn off what was written on the slides on blackboard - again no real thought needed, just regurgitation. You didn't even have to structure it into a finely lade out and articulate essay, it wasn't like that. The modules didn't need any academic rigour at all.

I actually did very well in the LC. But I'm not very good at learning and regurgitating facts with detail; I remember things too generally. That aside, the start of astronomy was easy, but towards the end I just thought all the stuff about red giants and white dwarfs, what happens when and how different things form, things like Hydrogen burning in the sun and helium flashes etc. difficult to remember, and difficult to remember and explain. Or perhaps I'm just not as intelligent as you? But my point was, not everyone is going to be able to do as well as you did. I definitely passed, but I was hoping to get into the As, which I don't think will happen. This thread was about easy electives, and I was just saying that not every single person will find it easy, which they didn't. I know you said you're not being condescending, but trying to make people like me who probably didn't get the A, feel stupid for not being able to ace astronomy, well I don't really know what you would call that...

I like the way sponge is replying to people who posted 2 years ago :)

Yeah it never occurred to me that they weren't posted recently :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Anyone know if the BMGT modules are any good? As in interesting enough to do rather than just a load of cramming.

Business Management modules are very varied.

Great Management Ideas Through Time is handy enough, once you do a little bit each week. I did it in 1st semester of 1st year so I had no presentation or report writing skills but I still got an A-.

No final exam, but you have to do a reading each week, a group presentation and an individual report. But none of it is too challenging.

On the subject of easy electives, some people will use the system to learn stuff they may not have gotten the chance to, others will use it to try and get a handy A. If UCD want to avoid abuse of the system, they shouldn't offer some of the ridiculous modules that they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

sponge-97 wrote: »
    I actually did very well in the LC. But I'm not very good at learning and regurgitating facts with detail; I remember things too generally. That aside, the start of astronomy was easy, but towards the end I just thought all the stuff about red giants and white dwarfs, what happens when and how different things form, things like Hydrogen burning in the sun and helium flashes etc. difficult to remember, and difficult to remember and explain. Or perhaps I'm just not as intelligent as you? But my point was, not everyone is going to be able to do as well as you did. I definitely passed, but I was hoping to get into the As, which I don't think will happen. This thread was about easy electives, and I was just saying that not every single person will find it easy, which they didn't. I know you said you're not being condescending, but trying to make people like me who probably didn't get the A, feel stupid for not being able to ace astronomy, well I don't really know what you would call that...
    You're right, to a degree.
    Astronomy and Space Science would be an easy module for somebody with a basic understanding of Newtonian physics and perhaps a bit of knowledge on astronomy in general. While not necessarily the easiest module in the world, if you've done or are doing any basic physics and have a slight interest in the subject, it shouldn't be at too difficult if at all.
    Luckily, I'm reasonably good with my physics and I'm an avid amateur astronomer, so I couldn't have envisioned an easier module.

You're right, to a degree.
    Astronomy and Space Science would be an easy module for somebody with a basic understanding of Newtonian physics and perhaps a bit of knowledge on astronomy in general. While not necessarily the easiest module in the world, if you've done or are doing any basic physics and have a slight interest in the subject, it shouldn't be at too difficult if at all.
    Luckily, I'm reasonably good with my physics and I'm an avid amateur astronomer, so I couldn't have envisioned an easier module.

Maybe the guy this year wasn't as good. I felt like I did a lot of work, but I didn't remeber things like Stellar evolution very well so I didn't do great. It's not that it was too difficult, it just wasn't piss easy, which is what I assume the thread is about. I did find much of it interesting though! But it wasn't just me, all my physics-ey and space interested friends didn't do much study for it and found it fairly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Conor108 wrote: »
    Has anyone done Earth, Environment and Society or Japanese L&C 1?

I did the Earth and Humanity which is in the same group of modules as that last semester and it was great. Only 2 lectures a week, no tutorials or anything. Only thing was that the last exam was worth 65% MCQ so felt under pressure. Overall was a great module and easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

OSI wrote: »
    Easiest electives by far are anything done by Henry McLoughlin....

Having done only one module with him so far I would actually do anything he's teaching, Algorithmic Problem Solving was incredibly easy and fun...yes, I said FUN!!

bigred100 wrote: »
    Having done only one module with him so far I would actually do anything he's teaching, Algorithmic Problem Solving was incredibly easy and fun...yes, I said FUN!!

It looks promising, I might take it next semester! :D Anything to do with maths or it it more like logic??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

sponge-97 wrote: »
    It looks promising, I might take it next semester! :D Anything to do with maths or it it more like logic??

It's more logic based, but mathsy enough to appeal to nerds like me :P I really enjoyed it - I did it last semester too! The exam was quite easy as well!

It appears hard at the start of the module, but it gets considerably easier as time goes on - your problem solving skills develop quite quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I got the Food Science elective, got an A1 in Home Ec in the leaving so I'm hoping it'll be easy, one less thing to worry about :rolleyes: I'll post back on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

The Hitchhiker's guide to philosophy is as easy as they come. 40% for 100 word essay each week and 60% for an exam which this year was on vegetarianism.
    Plus if you go to class, you get to meet people who take it a little too seriously, that was the clincher for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

aine92 wrote: »
    I got the Food Science elective, got an A1 in Home Ec in the leaving so I'm hoping it'll be easy, one less thing to worry about :rolleyes: I'll post back on Monday!

That FDSC10010?? All the MCQ's are negative marking so just beware! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

smk89 wrote: »
    The Hitchhiker's guide to philosophy is as easy as they come. 40% for 100 word essay each week and 60% for an exam which this year was on vegetarianism.
    Plus if you go to class, you get to meet people who take it a little too seriously, that was the clincher for me

Agreed did that last year. Ours was all about star trek. Plus all the essays are just through discussion board. So easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

so many of them clash for me its ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

so many of them clash for me its ridiculous

Ditto, even in programme electives tend to be a squeeze. Damn you engineering!

(Although as a rule i only go for in programme as a matter of principle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

CG328 wrote: »
    That FDSC10010?? All the MCQ's are negative marking so just beware! :rolleyes:

Yeah that one! I never even considered the whole negative marking thing, I'm just hoping there'll be minimum study after doing home ec for 5 years, maybe I'll be able to wing it big time :rolleyes:

Advertisement