Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy electives in UCD

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

kateos2 wrote: »
    Agreed did that last year. Ours was all about star trek. Plus all the essays are just through discussion board. So easy.

College shouldn't be this easy

*shrugs and skips away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

aine92 wrote: »
    Yeah that one! I never even considered the whole negative marking thing, I'm just hoping there'll be minimum study after doing home ec for 5 years, maybe I'll be able to wing it big time :rolleyes:
    I did Home Ec for 5 yrs too and got a great grade in the LC so had the same approach at first, then realised after the first MCQ that a lot of study has to be put in. Came out with a D in the end as well as a lot of other people in the module as the results are posted on blackboard but I would have done a lot better if it was not for the neg marking. Have a look at the lecture slides on blackboard if you can, they'll give you an idea! Do it if you really want to but be prepared to put in the work if you want a good grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

CG328 wrote: »
    I did Home Ec for 5 yrs too and got a great grade in the LC so had the same approach at first, then realised after the first MCQ that a lot of study has to be put in. Came out with a D in the end as well as a lot of other people in the module as the results are posted on blackboard but I would have done a lot better if it was not for the neg marking. Have a look at the lecture slides on blackboard if you can, they'll give you an idea! Do it if you really want to but be prepared to put in the work if you want a good grade.

Ah crap, really? Thanks for the advice, I'll go and mosey around blackboard, thanks for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Dya have to do electives? I can't find any that I really want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Dya have to do electives? I can't find any that I really want to do.

You have to do either 'in'-elective (i.e., extra module(s) from within your own programme/ school) or 'out'-elective (i.e., extra module(s) from a different programme/ school). You must be registered for 60 credits for the year so yes you have to do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Learning a new language at the applied language centre is fairly easy. I did Spanish and didn't have much trouble with it.

Useful as well as fairly easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Anyone ever done History & Theory of the Designed Environment? It's a level 1 Architecture module...just a double lecture per week and a 2 hour exam at the end.

Thinking about doing Polish also...how big are the classes usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AKS1991

I know I'm a semester late here, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do History and Theory of the Designed Enviornment, unless you're a lucky person with the ability to remember huge reams of infomation. I take it as a core module and this semester am doing History and Theory 4. The lecturers give no notes, instead just talk for the two hours and expect you to take your own, and my attention span isn't the greatest...so far for the exam I've resorted to the one book they continually refer to, but then you wind up with a major overload of information. The 100% exam is pretty stressful, and I've only just about managed to get through so far. Just my opinion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

aine92 wrote: »
    I got the Food Science elective, got an A1 in Home Ec in the leaving so I'm hoping it'll be easy, one less thing to worry about :rolleyes: I'll post back on Monday!

I heard a lot of people do this elective thinking it's going to be like LC home ec and only to get the shock that it's not what they expected.

Popular electives like this are very hard to get a good grade in seeing that the class is huge every year, therefore i'd imagine the standard for an A or B are a lot higher than other not so popular electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ok I did the LC like 3 years ago, did ordinary level french, I'm thinking of doing general language french 1. will they find out that I did it for LC? Please don't lecture me on the morals of it, simply will they know that I've done it before. I forget most stuff anyway and am looking to build it up again.

I wanted to do Italian but even though it says available places all the classes are full. I wanna do a language coz I'm doing German as part of my degree, and I like languages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Ok I did the LC like 3 years ago, did ordinary level french, I'm thinking of doing general language french 1. will they find out that I did it for LC? Please don't lecture me on the morals of it, simply will they know that I've done it before. I forget most stuff anyway and am looking to build it up again.

I wanted to do Italian but even though it says available places all the classes are full. I wanna do a language coz I'm doing German as part of my degree, and I like languages.

Depends on your honesty. You have to fill in a form detailing any experience abroad and what language you have studied previously and the grade you got. I'm not sure if they verify the info you give on the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i had to fill out that form today, maaan i forgot all the french, seriously confusing. what do people think I should do? this is probably the level I'm at tbh, because I do other languages French has taken a backseat and i forgot everything more or less. I defo won't fly the elective, be happy with a b. is it worth taking the risk? i actually wanna improve my french but i need to start from basics.

Advertisement