Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Programmer Available Sticky?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I know it would be harder to police but I'm wondering whether a "Programmer Available Sticky" would be considered. I have 20 years experience (12 in Silicon Valley) and feel like I could still contribute a lot especially to small startups if only there was a means to contact the companies in need ? Maybe there is an alternative (I think it would be a good service for Enterprise Ireland eventually to provide). In the meantime in these challenging economic times would Boards.ie consider supporting such a facility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Get onto the VC companies with Irish operations (Some of the larger ones do this) check out the digital hub on google as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm not going to have a Services Offered thread as don't want to spend my day deleting posts from companies in Bangalore/Poland/etc offering development services. Nor do I want to spend my day policing the hundreds of idiots who think dropping a template in Joomla makes them a web developer.

I see limited use to Irish companies and devs as there are channels in place for such things already.

The County Enterprise Boards provide mentoring services (through programmes like BRITE) for startups, FÁS do as well. You'll have much more success with these than you will here on a small programming forum. Enterprise Ireland (as you've said) would be good people to canvas as they may provide mentoring services.

TBH it doesn't look like you've done a lot of research into this. If you're as useful to a startup as you seem to be claiming surely you'd know these things already?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Muggins

Thanks Phil for the reply, it was helpful despite the sarcasm. I have already helped a couple of small Irish startups with software architecture, programming and submitted patents for both. I am only relatively recent returned to Ireland and in a position where I am able to take on freelance projects so I am still learning the array of organisations that support these small startups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, sorry for the sarcasm, that was sent at the wrong person entirely. *shakes of grumpy mood*

But do talk to FÁS and the Enterprise Boards as they have mentoring services and I believe they need people in the tech arena. I don't have any contact details for you unfortunately.

You could also look at the incubation houses like the DIT Hot House, the Media Cube and various others that are springing up around the country. Mentoring is really what they do. Here's a blog that has links to some of them: http://joedrumgoole.com/blog/2009/01/29/irish-incubator-programs/

The upcoming bizcamp conference in the Guiness Storehouse might be a good place to do some networking, there will be quite a few startups at it: http://www.bizcamp.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Muggins

No prob Phil, I realize there is a limit to how many companies that I could help but I have gained a lot of useful insights working as a programmer for some of Silicon Valley's Big Boys. Anyway I'll try to contact the Enterprise Board and FAS down here in Cork. Thanks also for the BizCamp tip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement