Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublinbikes.ie - anyone signed up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I've got my long-term hire card and planning to use this system a lot to connect the dots in my bus commute. I'm dropped off at the Gresham in the morning but work near Grafton St, so I'm planning to pick up a bike on Cathal Brugha St (or Princes St) and drop it off at Exchequer St (or Chatham Row).

In the evening, I have to get to my stop near Liberty Hall, so I can get another bike from Exchequer St and drop it off at Custom House Quay.

This is going to be great and I can't imagine anything going wrong*

*gulp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

JayeL wrote: »
    I've got my long-term hire card and planning to use this system a lot to connect the dots in my bus commute. I'm dropped off at the Gresham in the morning but work near Grafton St, so I'm planning to pick up a bike on Cathal Brugha St (or Princes St) and drop it off at Exchequer St (or Chatham Row).

In the evening, I have to get to my stop near Liberty Hall, so I can get another bike from Exchequer St and drop it off at Custom House Quay.

*gulp

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

richardjjd wrote: »
    Failed twice to sign up (both times, "technical error" was given as the reason). Dropped them an email and got a response within a couple of hours. Turned out that in the county box you can't use spaces (so Dublin 1 should be entered as Dublin1). It says that you shouldn't include spaces and I ignored it, so I've no-one to blame but myself!

Dublin 1 isn't a county (nor is Dublin1).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be honest, until there are proper cycling lanes that drivers actually obey in city, it's going to be hard to convince me to hop on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Dublin 1 isn't a county (nor is Dublin1).

It's actually the postcode section that i'm presuming the person had the problem with, the county box isn't a mandatory field to fill in and it's the post code box that states no spaces, i had to put in codublin in there as there's not enough space for countydublin, not sure how it would work for people in say kilkenny or waterford who might commute up and wish to use the bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What turns me off is having to pay 150 deposit. I wouldn't be using it enough for them to hang on to that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

JayeL wrote: »

*gulp
    lol!
    Macros42 wrote: »
    What turns me off is having to pay 150 deposit. I wouldn't be using it enough for them to hang on to that money.
    I thought you just pay it if you don't return the bike? Maybe I should read the FAQ's

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Paparazzo wrote: »
    lol!

I thought you just pay it if you don't return the bike? Maybe I should read the FAQ's

They reserve the right to charge you €150 if you don't return the bike. You don't have to pay a deposit.

Signed up myself anyway. For €10 a year, why not sure.

*gulp

I guess this is their solution to integrating the two Luas lines ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oh ok - When I read it got the impression that they were taking the 150 - maybe I misread it. If that's the case I'll sign up for the year - I'd use it to go uptown at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Subscriber number 265X here, Is it likely that they started at 1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its still stupidly retarded that they didnt extend this scheme to Heuston.

If it takes off like in other cities I imagine they will, in time, a station near the zoo would be good, and places just outside the city centre core, such as the botanic gardens, herbert park, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 reving 2 go

SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE GUY WHO RENTS OUT THE BIGES AT THE PARK GATE !!!!!
    I bet he is happy that there is no site near him !!!
    I wonder does he lose many bikes ?????

THAT SHOULD READ...... BIKES !!!!!

To be fair, the bikes at the phoenix park and the bikes on this scheme are totally different, the phoenix park guy seems to rent what look like fairly decent bikes for long periods, and has tandems,etc.
    The dublinbikes bikes don't seem like they'd be terribly comfortable for long periods of use, and they start to get expensive the longer you keep them

subscriber 265x
    enjoy your trips !!!
    i will keep an eye out for you !!!!
    i have not been on a bike for 40 years but i am going to give these bikes a go !!!!
    does the tenner a year cover A & E ????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It was done purposely, if there was a station there you'd probably have half the bikes in Dublin left there in the evening with no spaces to park them resulting in people having to go elsewhere and then whinging about how the system is a failure because they missed their train.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I filled out the form on the website sometime last week. Credit card was debited on Monday 7th Sept. No sign of my swipe card arriving yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Macros42 wrote: »

Its not actually a 150 euro deposit, there is no deposit. If you don't bring the bike back after a day there is a 150 euro credit charge on your Crecdit card, however if you bring the bike back and pay the extra amount then this charge is debited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Got my card today. All ready for my first ever cycle around town on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

The launch was this morning, seen a few of them cucling through O'Connell Street with their Tee shirts. They got a perfect day for it all the same

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cycled around (on my own bike) there sometime between 12 and after 1pm to see if many of them were being used.

O'Connell Street and Dame Street were near empty while ones more off the beat and track, like long side TCD were more full. Any time I stopped at any there seem to people taking bikes out and also quite a lot of interest from passers by.

After a late breakfast, I might go out and try one, even if they are just like in Paris.

Here's some photos, will add more later, I'm sure... http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/sets/72157622230673547/

I took a run on one today. Got the last bike on Grantham St at about 12:45. Spent a few minutes on the quiet roads off Camden St. before venturing out onto any main roads (Bride St, Patrick St, Camden St) - I have never cycled in the city before!

Got the hang of it quickly enough although I noticed a double decker giving me a particularly wide berth on Aungier St! Dropped off the bike at Exchequer St after about 20 minutes in the saddle.

Saw lots of other people out and about on the bikes.

My view so far is very positive and I've a couple of regular trips I'll be using them for from now on.

On the down side, the surface condition of some cycle lanes is atrocious! And my backside started to hurt after 5 minutes in the saddle :eek:

I've just checked my account online and the trip is recorded accurately.

I wonder will this spawn a new generation of bicycle spotters? Log books recording trips, bike numbers, etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I took my first spin today from Charlemont to Custom House Quay (CHQ). Great fun and the whole system worked flawlessly. They has customer staff at some of the stations and the also have vans to move bikes from station to station if necessary.

Checked my account as well and it recorded the usage accurately. Going to go to work on one tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

another way for the police to track your movements

another way for the police to track your movements

Yeah, got to agree they wouldn't make the best getaway vehicles :pac:

Saw a few locked up with some of the flimsiest bike locks I've ever seen today. They won't last long if that's what people are doing with them. Though I'm sure people will be more careful after they've lost €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Saw them on the news, cant resist an impulse purchase. So I signed up this eve for the annual ticket. I figure it will only cost me the 10 for the year as the bike ride from the office to the bus stop is no more than 20 mins. But, they told me ill get my card in 14 days....but I want to use it now!!!!

Is there anyway of getting a bike without signing up for the 3 day ticket?

Nope.

I don't think it will take 14 days to arrive. Mine arrived in significantly less time than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

See, I was right all along! This scheme is a brilliant idea. Funny how all the negative individuals criticizing the scheme have now gone into hiding as they realize that, actually, it WAS a good deal for Dublin!

The bikes, in my opinion, are even nicer than the ones in Paris. Well done to all involved in the scheme for not giving in to the nay sayers!

Advertisement