Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublinbikes.ie - anyone signed up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

BendiBus wrote: »
    I believe the whole scheme is designed with casual users in mind. Serious cyclists will get their own bikes & wetgear.

I still don't get your problem. Do you claim the scheme is a failure because fewer people will cycle when the weather is horrible?

It's the way the press releases were proclaiming the scheme a success where that success was based alot on the first weeks of warm dry weather!

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the scheme. I am saying it needs a bit of realism to be added for it to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

gar32 wrote: »
    I have over 7 hours use on these bikes so far. I live near Smithfield station but find that its empty in the morning after 9. Also it fills up fast in the evening and twice already I had to go back to greek street. Soon the better more stations are set up. I have emailed dublinbikes on asking for plan of more stations. No reply 3 weeks later. Maybe the green party could help with this?

More stations please :)

Do you think it may be easier and quicker to expand the number of racks at existing stations and provide more bikes. i would imagine rolling out extra stations will be time consuming as there is no incentive for JC Decaux to expand the scheme unless they get more free advertising. Also once the scheme reaches the limits of the DCC area, will the other councils not have to negotiate seperately with JCD. In the short term adding extra capacity to the existing stations would be ideal..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

positron wrote: »
    I signed up on Sep 23rd and I am still waiting for my bike card. I hope to do this daily.
    Oh, god. I signed up on the 26th and haven't received my card either. We'll see if I get it within the 14 days that they promised i.e. getting the card by tomorrow.

What kind of waiting times have others experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

axer wrote: »
    Oh, god. I signed up on the 26th and haven't received my card either. We'll see if I get it within the 14 days that they promised i.e. getting the card by tomorrow.

What kind of waiting times have others experienced?

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/bike-rental-scheme-overwhelmed-by-applications-44814.html
    Bike rental scheme overwhelmed by applications
    04 October 2009 By Dick O’Brien

The Dublin City Council bike rental scheme has received so many applications in its first two weeks that it has run out of subscriber cards.

The council had originally targeted 5,000 subscribers in the first year of the Dublin Bikes scheme, but was overwhelmed with 11,000 applications in the first fortnight of operation, according to a council spokesman. He confirmed that the scheme, which is administered by advertising company JC Decaux for the local authority, had temporarily run out of cards. New cards for the scheme are expected to arrive within the next week.

New applicants for the Dublin Bikes scheme received letters last week informing them that the supply of cards had been exhausted.

They have instead been given 60-day cards and will receive a further 60 days to their annual subscription once their card arrives.

Under the terms of the deal, JC Decaux is supplying 450 public hire bikes and a network of 40 docking stations in exchange for 72 advertising panels in city centre locations.

Subscribers pay an annual fee of €10 to join the scheme and can use the bikes free of charge for journeys of less than half an hour in duration, or for a small fee for longer trips.

It was reported last week that one bike had been stolen and two were not returned by subscribers. However, all three bikes have since been recovered.

My girlfriend got one of the 60 day passes after wating 2.5 weeks. They work fine. But they are probably waiting for the proper cards to come instead of giving out more of these to save on postage.

Thanks for that. I don't mind what I get as long as I get something that I can use to start using the bikes. Kinds sucks when you want to use something like this but are being delayed waiting for the card - hopefully they are still sending out the 60 day cards then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I signed up on September 20th and I got my card yesterday. I was happy to see that the expiry date is for October 5th next year.

No more 3-day cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

AMontague wrote: »
    The Council is definitely interested in expanding the scheme - although I think we need to monitor how things go for a couple of months before making any decisions. In the first two weeks 11,000 people have signed up. AFAIK the target was 5,000 people in 2 years! So it's obviously proving very popular.

Looks like someone some group got their research wrong again. Didn't something similar happen with LUAS as well? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Looks like someone some group got their research wrong again. Didn't something similar happen with LUAS as well? :)

Can't really blame the researchers here. It was just that so many people didn't believe in the system before it launched, so any market research would have come back with very a low positive response.

Example : I explained to about 10 people I go out with how it would work and they thought it was hilarious - yeah, free bikes for junkies, they'll all be vandalised, end up in the Liffey after the first weekend, it'll be like the cows all over again, you're wasting your €10 ha ha.

Now half those people are signed up and another 2 are complaining bitterly about the delay in getting their cards posted to them. And next week they'll be complaining about how there aren't enough bikes and its typical of this country etc etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aard wrote: »
    I wonder how many Dublin Bikes users are acually "business people" with meetings to attend accross the city. I'd imagine that the majority are actually casual users.

I actually use it for business. I don't like riding my regular bike in a suit, but these are perfect for it and the quickest way of getting around the city centre I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

The experience from similar sized cities, such as Lyons indicated that about 2,000 - 2,500 people would sign up in the first year. In Dublin about 15,000 have signed up in the first three weeks. So it is way out of line from previous experience. Personally, I think it's a good problem to have.

The Council are looking at expanding the scheme, but no funding has been nailed down yet, although a lot of options are being explored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for that clarification.

I wonder how does Lyon's layout, road surface, public transport and main business centers compares to that of Dublin. While they would have better weather, I am sure these other factors would also come into play.

Like you said it's a good problem to have, but makes me wonder what else is out there that could have been done so much better if it wasn't for some one making wrong conclusion(s). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Thanks for that clarification.

I wonder how does Lyon's layout, road surface, public transport and main business centers compares to that of Dublin. While they would have better weather, I am sure these other factors would also come into play.

Like you said it's a good problem to have, but makes me wonder what else is out there that could have been done so much better if it wasn't for some one making wrong conclusion(s). :)

You only have to look back on the older threads on Dublin Bikes to see what the people who supported this scheme were up against. A bitter, hostile opposition movement that predicted the scheme would be a spectacular flop.

The scheme is now a victim of its own success, like Barcelona and Paris before it.

Now a new revenue stream needs to be created for JC Decaux to pay for more bikes. That means either paying JC directly, or allowing it to put up more advertisements in exchange for expanding the scheme. I would favor the latter. JC should be allowed put up new megapanels along the M50, entrance to port tunnel, etc. This would give access to thousands of new bikes and hundreds of new racks to meet the clear demand that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Metrobest wrote: »
    You only have to look back on the older threads on Dublin Bikes to see what the people who supported this scheme were up against. A bitter, hostile opposition movement that predicted the scheme would be a spectacular flop.

The scheme is now a victim of its own success, like Barcelona and Paris before it.

Now a new revenue stream needs to be created for JC Decaux to pay for more bikes. That means either paying JC directly, or allowing it to put up more advertisements in exchange for expanding the scheme. I would favor the latter. JC should be allowed put up new megapanels along the M50, entrance to port tunnel, etc. This would give access to thousands of new bikes and hundreds of new racks to meet the clear demand that exists.

sounds great in theory, but isn't the advertising industry in the toilet at the moment? - JCD signed up for the existing scheme in better times. Besides which putting huge scrolling posters on the side of a motorway wouldn't be very safe, and the M50 is outside the city boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Metrobest wrote: »

Metrobest... again you're making stuff up. Seems to be your modus operandi.

The debate on this board that would be described as being against the scheme was because of the lousy deal that DCC did with JCD. I have signed up with DB but I would seriously question the deal that was done to this day. I would also question should DCC be going into the private bike hire business. There are a number of other options that the city could have explored. One would be to take JCD's money from the billboards and put it to a budget for improving cycleways and facilities. AT the moment only occasional cyclists are being supported by this scheme but there are 1000's more everyday who have use below par cycle paths etc. There were also issues about the positioning of these adverts from safety point of view and some ended up being moved.

The DB sign up is a bit of a fad and no doubt the numbers will settle. You'll probably end up with plenty of card carrying people who have only once used a bike or never at all. The other thing that will influence those who were initially enthusiastic is the condition of the cycle facilities in the city.

It's also worth noting that that the distribution of the advertising panels is far greater than the distribution of the bike station. It should be a condition that JCD roll out the bikes to cover the footprint of the ad panels. The outdoor advert market is down but there are clever ways that does could be done in the future by tying it in with ad revenue. But let me tell you, the last thing anybody doing is creating extra advertising space when supply is exceeding demand. Just for the record, most if not all of the M50 is out of DCC's area and the NRA are not in favour of any further advertising on major national routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

BrianD wrote: »
    One would be to take JCD's money from the billboards and put it to a budget for improving cycleways and facilities.

But being realistic, most councillors would take the money from JCD and use it for other schemes and cyclists wouldn't benefit at all.
    At the moment only occasional cyclists are being supported by this scheme but there are 1000's more everyday who have use below par cycle paths etc.

That's not true. I, as a regular cyclist, am benefiting from the increase in cyclists on the streets. Drivers will grow more accustomed to cyclists and will drive accordingly. It also means that when we lobby councillors for better cycling facilities, drivers won't be able to claim that bike lanes aren't used and we'll have a better chance of being listened to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The debate on this board that would be described as being against the scheme was because of the lousy deal that DCC did with JCD. ...

You and others may have been saying that, but the majority were saying that the bikes would end up in the river within the first two weeks, and that nobody would use the bikes, that it would never work in Dublin, etc
    The DB sign up is a bit of a fad and no doubt the numbers will settle. You'll probably end up with plenty of card carrying people who have only once used a bike or never at all. The other thing that will influence those who were initially enthusiastic is the condition of the cycle facilities in the city.

Calling the sign up numbers a fad is pointless while usage is still high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The scheme looks like it's going to work well. But no amount of usage figures is going to change the fact that it's early days and it does need to prove itself through days of consistently wet/windy weather and as people become used to more dangerous aspects of cycling in Dublin.

I'm not a naysayer, I just want a bit of even coverage of the realities from both sides.

Does it really matter if they are not used alot during windy/wet weather as long as the usuage stays good on the nice days and during the summer. I am still waiting on my card but I can see myself using the bikes to go short distances even in between showers - beats walking any time.

Not that much, but these sort of days are going to happen and all concerned will need to expect the results of them. The issue of road safety will take a longer assessment anyway.

Not that much, but these sort of days are going to happen and all concerned will need to expect the results of them. The issue of road safety will take a longer assessment anyway.
    I think the road safety issue will help commuter cyclists in a big way since many more people will now have experienced the dangers of cycling in the city. Hopefully cyclist safety will take more precedence now when things are planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

monument wrote: »
    You and others may have been saying that, but the majority were saying that the bikes would end up in the river within the first two weeks, and that nobody would use the bikes, that it would never work in Dublin, etc
    I don't agree. The majority of the discussion was about the deal done with JCD and the particular siting of the billboards. There is a general understanding that public property is not respected in Dublin and these bikes were likely candidates for louts. I am surprised that they have got off as lightly as they have.
    Calling the sign up numbers a fad is pointless while usage is still high.

We have only anecdotal evidence that there is high usage. 13,000 sign up for 450 bikes. 28 persons per bike. On the times I've used a DB you'd be hard pressed to see another user.

axer wrote: »
    I think the road safety issue will help commuter cyclists in a big way since many more people will now have experienced the dangers of cycling in the city. Hopefully cyclist safety will take more precedence now when things are planned.
    How does that actually *help* them?!

That's like saying that the problem may be solved by putting more people in with the problem, so that yet more people complain about its problem.

I suppose we should make more people poor so more people will complain about poverty in society at the next election??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

How does that actually *help* them?! That's like saying that the problem may be solved by putting more people in with the problem, so that yet more people complain about its problem.

I'll dig out a link later but there's a generally agreed principle that as drivers get used to seeing cyclists on the road, they learn to expect them and drive more safely around them. They learn to leave space between the kerb and their car and to indicate and check before turning left. One of the reasons Amsterdam is so safe to cycle is not (alone) the cycle facilities but the sheer numbers of cyclists.

I didn't dispute that it would "work" per se. I just think that it's madness. Sure if we have more cyclists, then there'll be more accidents, and if enough blood gets on the windscreen then drivers will get the message.

How is that good enough?? Cyclists should not be cannon fodder in the campaign against incompetent driving.

This notion should be regarded as a side effect of the problem. Saying we will make roads safer for cyclists by putting more cyclists on the road is inherently stupid. It might happen, but it's certainly the worst way to bring that about. We certainly shouldn't be welcoming of this effect.

How is that good enough?? Cyclists should not be cannon fodder in the campaign against incompetent driving.
    Its not good enough and it is maddness but I don't see dublin council improving the cycling conditions in the city. Not only because there are more cyclists on the road will the council have to put more empahsis on cyclist safety for a change but also there are more drivers seeing what it is like to drive in the city so it does spread awareness. In the ideal world, or should I say in most places other than Ireland, cyclist's safety is taken seriously but unfortunately we are in Ireland. I mean, cycling lanes just stopping and turning into road is absolutely ridduculus not to mention that people can just park on top of the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

markpb wrote: »
    One of the reasons Amsterdam is so safe to cycle is not (alone) the cycle facilities but the sheer numbers of cyclists.

But I've found throughout the Netherlands, even in rural areas, there's a completely different attitude of far more respect towards cyclists, and other road users in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

if anyone has an answer to my question it would greatly appreciated

Is there any room for an expansion of the scheme to the further edges of city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I do not know the definitive answer to this, but I'd imagine the problem with extending the scheme is the question of who would pay for doing this. JCD probably won't be in a position to add 10 percent more bikes and stations in return for 10 percent more advertising, for the simple reason that the demand for advertising has gone down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Could they not have stations at the likes of the Phoenix Park (say the Zoo?)

In the meantime, if you want to take out a dublinbike for a spin around the Phoenix Park, and avoid as much traffic as possible getting there, avoid cycling along the quays and instead cycle on the Connolly->Heuston luas line (just be careful to avoid your tyres falling into the luas tracks and you taking a tumble).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

mambo wrote: »
    In the meantime, if you want to take out a dublinbike for a spin around the Phoenix Park, and avoid as much traffic as possible getting there, avoid cycling along the quays and instead cycle on the Connolly->Heuston luas line (just be careful to avoid your tyres falling into the luas tracks and you taking a tumble).

I'm thinking of taking a spin out that way, why avoid the quays?

Advertisement