Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Skoda Fabia vRS

• 17-08-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I've found a fairly good looking car at the right price, with out the badge.
    Just wondering is anyone outhere familiar with any problems, or what they are like? I was thinkin of moving away from my heavy VW and on to something a little easier to drive and doesn't understeer like a Vectra.
    Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Ain't that wee car got the "heavy" 1.9 TDI engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Yes, apparently so, from what I've heard its the same engine as the Golf, but better power? Im not sure...don't even know if '05 Skoda is a good idea....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Its the older 1.9 TDI engine design with 150bhp as far as i know. I remember seeing a youtube episode of 5th gear where they raced it against a standard mini cooper. The cooper was a tiny bit slower around their track

mmhmm....ok ill have a look, any idea if they are reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Should be ok. They are 130bhp. Dont think there is anything major to look for, quick cars. Only thing that springs immediately to mind is timing belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Junior #8 wrote: »
    Just wondering is anyone outhere familiar with any problems, or what they are like? I was thinkin of moving away from my heavy VW and on to something a little easier to drive and doesn't understeer like a Vectra.
    Any Ideas?
    As far as I know they weigh more than a MkIV Golf and they understeer very easily (I know cause I drive one).

Ok, timing belt is pretty normal stuff, its just I saw one (not for sale but not driven in a while) and was thinking of going up with an offer. Gotta sort out my insurance. Im guessing an '02 Golf i can get €7000, doesn't look like the Skoda's hold their value...

Weight 1315 kg .....is that heavy?
    What are they like on diesel?

You can get €7k for an 02 Golf? Or with one?

Skoda Fabia vRS - 1315kg (source)
    Volkswagen Golf 1.9 GT TDI - 1261kg(source)

EPM wrote: »
    You can get €7k for an 02 Golf? Or with one?
    an '02 golf should fetch 7 right?

How can the car be heavier? it looks a smaller car.....
    Anyway what do you think of it? Worth getting?

• Advertisement

I doubt it unless the Golfs something special...

Never understood myself how it is so heavy...you really feel it in the corners....handling is pretty appauling as standard tbh...its the one big downside. I lowered mine and now its too harsh on country roads. Its great on A roads and motorways with the 6 gears. Get it remapped and it makes for effortless overtaking.
    The handling is probably the only bad thing I can think of about the car (and the tractor noise from the engine)...other than that, I've had 2.5 years of faultless driving and 50-60mpg is very achievable.

Edit - oh and white seats are a pig to keep clean!

fletch wrote: »
    Never understood myself how it is so heavy...you really feel it in the corners....handling is pretty appauling as standard tbh...its the one big downside. I lowered mine and now its too harsh on country roads. Its great on A roads and motorways with the 6 gears. Get it remapped and it makes for effortless overtaking.
    The handling is probably the only bad thing I can think of about the car (and the tractor noise from the engine)...other than that, I've had 2.5 years of faultless driving and 50-60mpg is very achievable.

Edit - on and white seats are a pig to keep clean!

Remap costs how much???

oh and http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.9-T(re/200930194697588/advert?channel=CARS
    ok maybe 6,500, its in great nick and less miles.

ehrm, yeah i do a good bit of driving on good roads, so thats ok i guess...and yeah thats a little better than the golf....im young enough but i drive easy, so its should suit me

Junior #8 wrote: »
    Remap costs how much???

oh and http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.9-T(re/200930194697588/advert?channel=CARS
    ok maybe 6,500, its in great nick and less miles.

ehrm, yeah i do a good bit of driving on good roads, so thats ok i guess...and yeah thats a little better than the golf....im young enough but i drive easy, so its should suit me
    Give me this anyday over that Golf. Newer and a lot less miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I have the Fabia vRS as well and like Fletch says the handling isnt the best, its not that bad, but you dont have much confidence flying into corners.I believe both front and rear (Jabba) ARB along with the bushes sorts that out and once remapped and on the boost they can shift.

With a remap for about 350e you will see 0-60 in 8secs or so and a top speed of about of about 135mph, while getting around 45-50mpg on average.Its no rocket, but its very good at overtaking, 60-110mph will come up in a bit over 10secs on a remap one.

Advertisement