Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welsh texting and driving, Graphic!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Flying blind implies you have no knowledge of where your going and will have no awareness of where you are when you look back, this is not the case on the motorway if you are a safe distance, going at a safe speed and survey your surroundings constantly!

Flying blind means you're not looking where you're going ...no more but also no less.

Seriously ...would you put your hand over your eyes while driving on the motorway @120 km/h for two or three seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have to admit I have often texted while driving and have had a couple of scares, and I know if anything happened it would've been my fault cause I was an idiot. I dont do it anymore and can honestly say I'll never do it again.
    If you do txt while driving I'd bet my life on it that the txt isnt even important and I'd rather pull over to the side of the road to txt rather than take a trip to the morgue to see the person I've killed and see the faces of all th family members whose lives I've ruined.
    I think if your caught with texting while driving you should be banned instantly and charged for mis-handling a lethal weapon (or something!!). It's idiotic. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

3:23 FAP FAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

So there is people on here who admit to texting and driving? As a fellow driver and motorcycle rider i thank you for being complete clowns.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

No, I wouldnt, it would completely disable my peripheral vision. Are you saying that if you were driving safely at 120 km/h and you looked at your phone holding it in your hand near where you would alter your radio settings, (which most people probably do while driving) and looked down to confirm 10 words were spelt correctly (probaly less information being absorbed than a large road sign when you are relying on signposts), you would consider yourself not in control of the car? in that moment you are suddenly a danger to yourself and other road users? (who are if you have done your checks, also a good distance away) are you unable to hold your steering wheel in a constant position if you glance away from the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bandit12 wrote: »
    So there is people on here who admit to texting and driving? As a fellow driver and motorcycle rider i thank you for being complete clowns.:mad:

I accept that and I'll be the first to admit I was a total idiot when I did it.:o Never again though.
    I REPENT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

This thread should be moved to after hours

some of the posters in motors probably think its more dangerous to not be texting while driving

i.e. if the other driver had been texting too.... he would have drifted out onto the hard shoulder and all would have lived happily ever after

No, I wouldnt, it would completely disable my peripheral vision.

so ..you wouldn't put you hands over your eyes (or close them) while driving at speed ...but you'd happily text.

Think about this ...if you were indeed closing your eyes, you'd do your damdest to concentrate hard on your driving with any other sense ..not move the steering wheel, listen for any other car you might just have overlooked ..wouldn't you? You'd be scared driving blind, wouldn't you?

Yet you happily concentrate on something completley different ...tiny writing on a small screen. You THINK you've got peripheral vision, but believe me you are less aware of your surroundings than if you had your eyes closed because you actually are concentrating on something else.

Drop your cockiness and your semi-scientific justifications, switch off that phone ...what you are doing is idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rgnmb

Use/Reach for electronic device = 6.7 times as high as non-distracted driving.

Text messaging = 23.2 times as high as non-distracted.

Its a well known fact that texting while driving is dangerous, more dangerous than changing the radio etc. There is no sense in trying to justify it. The attitude of Irish drivers continues to cause high fatality rates on the roads. Unfortunately television adverts probably won't change the type of people who admit to this practice, and find it socially acceptable. Equally unlikely is chastisement on the boards, so I won't waste your or my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They need a better ad than that. I'm not sure what type of ad would do it. Maybe something realistic. Like where no one dies..

Like where no one dies, but everyone had a great scare?
    I'm a text-driver :( And it's not like I haven't had a few scares while doing it , I have.

It's not gonna work, is it? ;)

And driving when you are extremely tired and nearly nodding off - would you not just have a few strong coffees / red bulls or a rest before you drive or stop over to have one?

peasant wrote: »
    so ..you wouldn't put you hands over your eyes (or close them) while driving at speed ...but you'd happily text.

Think about this ...if you were indeed closing your eyes, you'd do your damdest to concentrate hard on your driving with any other sense ..not move the steering wheel, listen for any other car you might just have overlooked ..wouldn't you? You'd be scared driving blind, wouldn't you?

Yet you happily concentrate on something completley different ...tiny writing on a small screen. You THINK you've got peripheral vision, but believe me you are less aware of your surroundings than if you had your eyes closed because you actually are concentrating on something else.

Drop your cockiness and your semi-scientific justifications, switch off that phone ...what you are doing is idiotic.

If there was nothing happening on a long staight motorway, and a fair distance from any cars in front or approaching, I can type a message with one hand without looking at the phone and check the spelling every 15 seconds quite easily, a far cry from driving relying on the sound of other cars. So while yes I would be scared driving blind, its a different situation from the one I described

Tiny writing on a small screen? I dont know about your optical needs but I can easily focus on my phones screen, read 10 words and refocus on the motorway in seconds. I'd also like to point out, I rarely do this but it does not pose a problem to me, if I needed to in the situaion I described.

How about you dismount your high horse, read my posts, answer my questions, dont make assumptions about "semi scientific justifactions" as there are none there. You keep your phone off, and pray nothing happens behind you in case you would have to take your eyes off the road to look in your mirror, because yousound like your blindfolded if you glance away from the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How did the police arrive approx. 40 seconds after someone called an ambulance?

...well, if you've never been, here's 5 words for you: Richard Brunstrom, and, Welsh Traffic Police. If this rings a bell, you know what I'm on about........if not..........you're better off.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

Dunno about the authenticity, looks pretty set-up IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

These ads are retarded, they're not going to stop people stupid enough to text and drive and all they do is traumatise people who've lost someone in a road accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    I regularly drive at speeds well in excess of 120km/h, thanks all the same,

I love this thread... "texting while driving is for morons" yet no one has a problem with the above statement:confused:

Speeding is accepted in this country and no one seems bothered by it yet texting causes outrage??

how is texting any more dangerous than searching through you ipod for a particular song, which is perfectly legal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What a stupid ad!

1. Why doesn't the mondeo even try to move or slow down?

2. Why is their car suddenly on the left hand side of the mondeo in the crash despite the shot before being well on the right?

3. Why is the red fiesta on the wrong side of the road.

4. at 39s there is also another car on the wrong side of the road.

5. the window at 2.15 looks smashed inwards from the outside even though the girls head would have hit it from the inside.

6. Would a Ka even hold up that well:D

I'll tell ya why, it's a bluddy conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Showing the emotionless baby was the worst part of that for me, or probably for anyone who has a baby that age.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Interesting propaganda, though it's pretty unrealistic, it is probably effective, I know won't forget it any time soon, though I'm not a driver. I found myself feeling sorry for the girl though, rather than the people she killed. Maybe that's the intention?

Flinging yourself around the place in a metal box always seems like a really dangerous thing to do to me, especially since you're entirely depending on complete strangers not to kill you. It's hard for me to imagine that someone would become so accustomed to it that they'd make it even more dangerous by trying to operate a phone, especially given that text messages are often pretty frivolous.

OT: Found out while looking up this video that it's now illegal to smoke while driving in the UK. I don't understand how smoking constitutes driving without due care and attention, given that it is an automatic action (I find myself smoking without realising that I've lit a cigarette.) Slippery slope, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

squod wrote: »
    I'll tell ya why, it's a bluddy conspiracy.

Moved to the conspiracy forum ;)

Meh, seeing as RSA have been throwing out the same style ad's/bs it doesnt really affect me tbh.

Saying that, I dont text when driving, a call is less hassle. :cool:

OT: Found out while looking up this video that it's now illegal to smoke while driving in the UK. I don't understand how smoking constitutes driving without due care and attention, given that it is an automatic action (I find myself smoking without realising that I've lit a cigarette.) Slippery slope, etc.

WTF?? linky please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I also text when driving but would really rather not, it is dangerous and a few times have found myself veering or speeding up... I'm making a concious effort at the moment to not text, athough reading some of these posts what's the point I'm going to meet a clown texting and speeding at some stage anyway!

How about you dismount your high horse

Sorry for sounding like an old fart ...but I am an old fart.

My position on the high horse is earned, not assumed. I've been there, done that and shat into my underpants.

Not texting, mind you ...they didn't have mobile phones when I was as cocky as you are now.

With me it was glancing at maps (before the days of sat-nav) on a motorway in "perfectly safe conditions" only to find myself heading straight for a bridge support when I looked up again. Full 360 on the motorway, thankfully no damage done except for the above mentioned underwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's no more dangerous than routing around for a cd/ reading a map/drinking a coffee and they're all perfectly legal/allowable.
    how is texting any more dangerous than searching through you ipod for a particular song, which is perfectly legal
    Ah yes, it's legal therefore it must be safe.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lmao!

No one texts while driving. And if you do, you deserve to be taken off the roads

I passed a girl in a micra on the M50, she was texting and also driving about 40kph:rolleyes:

She was really hot though, so it's alright..... like, REALLY hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Noffles wrote: »
    I also text when driving but would really rather not, it is dangerous and a few times have found myself veering or speeding up... I'm making a concious effort at the moment to not text, athough reading some of these posts what's the point I'm going to meet a clown texting and speeding at some stage anyway!

Any driver that I have passed who was texting or on the phone was always slowed down ..... and had a load of traffic behind them.

I have occasionally texted while in operation of a car .... stuck in traffic - got a telling off from a Garda, couldnt see his point ..... the car wasnt moving, traffic was at a standstill - mobile was only checked and texts responded to while stopped.

in saying that I have texted while driving (Dont do it very often) - I dont even check what I have written - just click on the letters that I want (predictive text) and when I hear a beep it means I can click left button and spell the word that I want. I'm not trying to justify it.

As another poster mentioned - its no different from searching through an iPod for a song.

Lets face it at some point we have all been eating/drinking/smoking/argueing in a car ...so 100% attention isnt always achievable..... what happens if the cigarette ash drops into your lap its still hot (attention gone - CRASH) ..... you go over a pothole - theres enough of them around - and your morning cup of coffee or lunchtime sandwich slips from your hand and spills onto your lap while driving (attention gone - CRASH).

Texting is just as dangerous as rifling through your ipod ...or reading a book or writing a letter, for that matter.

It isn't specifically legislated for because I guess the legislators assumed that drivers would have at least have a modicum of sense and not do these things while driving, even if it isn't expressly forbidden and just covered by the due care and attention bit.

It seems they were wrong and there really are people out there like you who have no sense at all.

peasant wrote: »
    Texting is just as dangerous as rifling through your ipod ...or reading a book or writing a letter, for that matter.

It isn't specifically legislated for because I guess the legislators assumed that drivers would have at least have a modicum of sense and not do these things while driving, even if it isn't expressly forbidden and just covered by the due care and attention bit.

It seems they were wrong and there really are people out there like you who have no sense at all.

Well just ban everything then:rolleyes:

No more changing the radio or talking to passengers cos that's distracting too.

Well just ban everything then:rolleyes:

Yepp ...definitly ...no sense whatsoever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Duckjob wrote: »
    She drives, he dies. In your face RSA, In-Your-Face.
    +1
    she drives, everyone else dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Brilliant add. Really, really, good.
    The crap the RSA run only focuses on the shock value of the crash. This ad had what, 20seconds of crash (without the crappy "i can't take my eyes off you" song), and 3 mins of clean up. It was in them 3 mins that the messege sinks in; them 3 mins are far more effective.

Really, good ad.

It's impacted me.

• Advertisement

Where is this ad actually supposed to be shown anyway, its way to long for ad breaks on TV, would cost far too much.

If they are going to be showing it to groups of schoolkids you'll get the usual reaction from a large group of kids, laughing about it and paying little heed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I love this thread... "texting while driving is for morons" yet no one has a problem with the above statement:confused:

Speeding is accepted in this country and no one seems bothered by it yet texting causes outrage??l
    OK, I admit it, but it's really my only vice on the roads, and I do it mainly because I spent many years in another country driving at those speeds perfectly legally and realised that the 'speed kills' mantra was just that, a mantra. I only really 'speed' on motorways and DC's though and only then when there's not much traffic about. Too many stupid people fiddling with their mobile phones and mp3 players, who might suddenly swerve into me you see :D

Alun wrote: »
    OK, I admit it, but it's really my only vice on the roads, and I do it mainly because I spent many years in another country driving at those speeds perfectly legally and realised that the 'speed kills' mantra was just that, a mantra. I only really 'speed' on motorways and DC's though and only then when there's not much traffic about. Too many stupid people fiddling with their mobile phones and mp3 players, who might suddenly swerve into me you see :D

But what if you'd spent years in a country where you were allowed use your phone in the car, would that make that ok now too?

Before this goes any further, I've probly sent less than 10 in the last two years, most of which consist of "turn on shower please". Takes no more than a glance to look and confirm you've typed the right. Its not something I do often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If this was an RSA ad it would have a bunch of young men driving as opposed to young women.

Gets the message through though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But what if you'd spent years in a country where you were allowed use your phone in the car, would that make that ok now too?
    No, because despite it (and many other activities) being legal (or more likely, not explicitly illegal) I wouldn't have done it anyway, because it's stupid and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

I think all that video does is reinforces it to the sensible drivers that it isn't the way to be, if you are that desperate to text someone, pull over. I am sure if it was THAT important, that you would risk someones or your own life, then a call would be more necessary, and obviously you would pull over.

It is crazy that people think it is safe to text on motorways! :eek:

My brakes failed last night, what if there was a texter behind me? You wouldn't have a chance. Even a normal driver would most probably have hit me but maybe had more time to do something and reduce the impact.

Luckily there was no one behind me. Even if the driver isn't a danger, the car could be. You should always watch everything around you because things happen that are out of our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

unkel wrote: »
    Like where no one dies, but everyone had a great scare?

Well yeah. It might work for me. Like someone posted in 3 seconds on a motorway a car travels a distance of a football pitch. There are shocking realistic facts and results that can be shown on video in what can happen so suddenly by just taking our eye of the road for a few seconds.
    It's not gonna work, is it? ;)
    I'm not sure to be honest. I'm just saying that those ads where someone is doing something wrong and everyone ends up dead is pure scare scaremongering using gruesome worst case scenarios which doesn't work on me. I guess it feel it wont happen to me. I'm not a psychologist so I can't explain it and don't flame me for just being normal. We ain't all perfect.
    And driving when you are extremely tired and nearly nodding off - would you not just have a few strong coffees / red bulls or a rest before you drive or stop over to have one?

It just doesn't work out that easily in the real world. I have often stopped the car and went for a walk or drink ( non alco ) in rural pubs when doing distance driving. But that's if I have the time. This isn't always the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

bubblewrap wrote: »
    I think all that video does is reinforces it to the sensible drivers that it isn't the way to be, if you are that desperate to text someone, pull over. I am sure if it was THAT important, that you would risk someones or your own life, then a call would be more necessary, and obviously you would pull over.

And make sure you get out of the car? Because I think being in the car while texting is illegal. Maybe if you remove the keys it might make a difference but I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

I passed a girl in a micra on the M50, she was texting and also driving about 40kph:rolleyes:

She was really hot though, so it's alright..... like, REALLY hot.

did she have her fog lights on? then it would have been ok..

• Advertisement

bubblewrap wrote: »
    My brakes failed last night, what if there was a texter behind me? You wouldn't have a chance. Even a normal driver would most probably have hit me but maybe had more time to do something and reduce the impact.

Why would someone have hit you? Surley if your brakes failed that would mean you weren't slowing down that fast:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

The ad was pretty funny. Well done wales. We need more comedy like this with the RSA ads.

Why would someone have hit you? Surley if your brakes failed that would mean you weren't slowing down that fast:P

I know but you get what I mean! :P

You need your eyes and ears open at all times! I don't understand why people text and drive...texting is something you do when bored/when you wanna talk drivel (well I do anyway!). If you need someone desperately, either get a handsfree kit and call the buggers or pull over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

but even when you have a hands free kit you still have to look at your phone to dial the number or look it up in your phone book so that's hardly safe either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

but even when you have a hands free kit you still have to look at your phone to dial the number or look it up in your phone book so that's hardly safe either.
    Most systems have voice control these days.

They are still safer than texting, it is only like skipping a song. If you have to dial a number then pull over, otherwise if someone rings YOU, the handsfree kit is there!

There will always be distractions, we aren't robots, but texting whilst driving is just silly. I can text without looking at the phone but it would still be diverting me away from holding the wheel/changing gear correctly and safely.

Edit: Despite all of the above, I AM guilty of texting at red lights/stuck in traffic, if I need to, but the SECOND I am about to move, the phone goes on the seat/in my bag.

The way that girl did it on the video was just so unrealistic. You wouldn't put it right in your face even if you WAS text driving.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I the girl I saw texting was holding the phone in front of her just above the stearing wheel.

Young 'uns think they are invincible!

Can I just ask if caught, what would they get for text driving?

That is one expensive text! :pac:

I have no sympathy though, it is so dangerous. To think how many people are in charge of vehicles and they aren't in the slightest responsible.

Like I say, if I am stuck in traffic, I will send a quick text to bf saying I will be late, or can you get tea on your way home but I would never text whilst driving, in fact I don't think I could even if I wanted to! After reading that though, I don't think I should dare!

Advertisement