Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old jeep or good car to pull horse box?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    I am just wondering if anyone might be able to advise me on this- recently I bought faily new toyota avensis. At the time I was between horses and didnt know if I would really get another horse so I bought the car not thinking I would ever need to pull a box. Recently however I got a gem of a horse when I wasnt even on the look out and now I want to get a box for him and of course to bring another horse if heading off somewhere. My horse is 16.2. Would those of you with experience of boxes with cars vs boxes with jeeps recommend using the toyota avensis (1.8 petrol) or an old jeep (a budget of 1000-1500 euro). I am concerned about ripping the guts out of a failry new car pulling two horses plus the weight of two large horses behind a car when stopping etc., but then again an older jeep brings its own problems too.
    I would really appreciate any advise you may have. Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Braked towing capacity of a 1.8 petrol avensis is 1300kg

Ifor williams 505 is 900 kg

Average 16.2 weighs 500-600kg

The figures arent really adding up for you. Some people take chances with towing but I personally wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

get a 92 or 93 pajero jeep for about 1500 or less

that'll do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

In general petrol cars aren't that great for towing, and you could rip the clutch out of it. In fact we towed bales of hay out of a field to the shed with a 1.9 diesel Peugeot 307, and it tore the clutch out of it. It wasn't a very big load and it was only a short distance.

We have a 14 year old Landcruiser, it does the job perfectly. Bought for slightly more than that, but pajero would do equally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

What did you go with in the end?

I have a 2litre petrol volvo which is grand for pulling one 15.3 horse but I would definitely not even attempt to pull 2 big horses with it, if that's of any help.
    H.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

I wouldn't recommend it. As others have said, you are likely to destroy the clutch.

Something with a minimum 2.5 liter motor(many people pull with a 2 liter motor, but they aren't generally made to tow any kind of weight, so you damage the tow vehicle, and risk an accident), and that has a tow package(which should include a better cooling system and stronger clutch/tranmission) and long wheelbase would be what I would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

1.8 petrol won't be up to the job I'm afraid. You'll enjoy travelling with your horse a whole lot better and safer preferrably with a jeep. A diesel car is borderline safe/unsafe with one big horse and defo unsafe with 2 big lads.

Advertisement