Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley Fc v Manchester United Fc (Match Thread) [mod warning post #537]

• 17-08-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

296px-Burnley_FC.svg.pngVManchester-United.png

BURNLEY - 10/1
    DRAW - 4/1
    MAN UTD - 3/10

Man Utd should line up like

FOSTER

DE LAET
    O'SHEA
    BROWN/EVANS
    EVRA

VALENCIA
    CARRICK
    SCHOLES
    GIGGS

ROONEY
    BERBATOV

SUBS:
    KUSZCZAK
    FABIO
    GIBSON
    FLETCHER
    EVANS/BROWN
    OWEN
    ANDERSON

I would say this will be a tough game. Burnley have shown plenty of spirit against big teams in the carling cup. This added to their first home game in the premiership will make for a testing battle for man utd.

Prediction: BURN 2-3 MAN U

Match will not be on tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Is Nan fit to play?If so I think he should get the nod over Giggs. Would like to see Owen get the second half too and hopefully get a goal. Anyways going for a 0-2 to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

No Da Silva? Thought he played pretty well against Birmingham. Is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

is anderson injured?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

No I benched Fabio. thought he gave some sloppy balls away first half and bad crosses. De laet looked very good in pre-season and there was talk he would start this game.

nani went off injured at half time yesterday. So i'm not sure if he'll be fit to play

:p
    only1stevo wrote: »
    is anderson injured?????

Whoops forgot about anderson. Gets the nod ahead of macheda on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

:p

Whoops forgot about anderson. Gets the nod ahead of macheda on the bench
    Doubt Scholes will start this match aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Can't see the team you do mate, at a guess I'd say it's likely we'll see

Foster

Fabio Brown O'Shea Evra

Valencia Carrick Fletcher Park

Rooney Berbatov

Bench:
    PIG
    Anderson
    Scholes
    Giggs
    Owen
    De Leat
    Evans

Regardless of Burnley having a good run in the cup last year or not, they were caught out by Stoke at the weekend and showed a little naiveity along the way. They would have been hoping to pick up at least a point from that game and will be a little knocked as a result.

United didn't play very well at the weekend, but I'd expect that to change on Weds with Carrick replacing Scholes and Park coming in for Nani. I think Evans will be rested for Wigan if there's any doubt about his fitness which leaves Brown & O'Shea playing in the centre.

Can't see past a comfortable win for United, preferably with more goals than yesterday. I'm going with 3-0 for United in this one.

Fergie was saying on MUTv that Vidic should be back for Saturday. Why do you feel Scholes won't start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fergie was saying on MUTv that Vidic should be back for Saturday. Why do you feel Scholes won't start

He needs time to rest his ginger bones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

anderson will start, didnt get off bench sunday as evans had to go off injured..

Scholes did well to get 90 minutes on sunday let alone another 90 tomoro night, he will most definitely not start,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

May aswell get it out of the way now :

Any streams :P

Cant see too many changes. Carrick in for Scholes would be my only change. Although I would really like to see Ando get some game time in :D

He's hoping he will be, but I can't see him risking Evans just in case. In either event if he can keep Evans fresh and have Vidic back then he can move O'Shea back out to right full and give himself options. Just can't see Evans starting unless he's 100%

To be honest I thought Scholes looked laboured yesterday, Fletcher had to do a lot of covering for him and he got caught ahead of the ball too much for my liking. As much as I hate to say it I'm not sure the legs are there anymore.

I hope I'm wrong and he'll play an integral part in the season, but even if he does I can't see him playing 2 games in 3 days very often with the options that we have in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

prob cause he played the full 90 on sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd go with Iago's team, with the possible exception of Anderson for Fletcher. Didn't think Fabio had a terrific game yesterday, but I'd still expect him to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Paul Scholes wont start, he played the full 90 yesterday and the days of him playing consecutive matches are gone.

Anderson will start after Fergie had him ready to come on vs Brum but had to bring Brown on for Evans. Also expecting Park to start, good for away games.

i would expect:

Foster

Fabio-O'Shea-Brown-Evra

Valencia-Carrick-Anderson-Park

Rooney-Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wouldnt be surprised to see owen start,even thou I believe you should keep a consistent attack force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd expect Owen to start also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

If he had of scored his one on one, I'd agree with you fellas. But myself, I see Berbs and Rooney playing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Mr Alan wrote: »

Damn, this means he probably won't so ;)

Headshot wrote: »
    wouldnt be surprised to see owen start,even thou I believe you should keep a consistent attack force
    Mr Alan wrote: »

I don't know, there's a clear logic behind it and it would give Owen an opportunity to get his confidence up so it could happen.

On the other hand the whole Rooney/Berbatov partnership (which will be the 1st choice partnership imo) still hasn't really had a chance to bed down yet. They need to get real gametime playing up top together to get that understanding up, and United have been handed 3 of the easier assignments at the start of the season to do so.

If United were 2 up at half-time he might bring Owen on for the second half, or if we win he may start him against Wigan but I think we need to give Rooney/Berbatov time to find their understanding first.

Of course I can see why Ferguson might decide otherwise but I think he may leave it as is for now.

• Advertisement

I expect Burnley to have 11 men behind the ball

so it's going to be a very tough game for utd,so the wings will be vital for utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I think Ferguson realises that Owen is one of those confidence strikers in that he thrives on goals and the first one is the all important one. For that reason I reckon he might start up front alongside Rooney.

I don't think Berba had a good enough game for someone who is supposidly under pressure to deliver the goods this year so he might need the kick up the a**. Nani is under just as much pressure and in pre-season and yesterday he looked really up for it. Berba should be taking notes.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Can see a couple of changes from the weekend due to injuries, and Fergie not knowing his best team, or just wanting to try out different combinations.

Foster
    Fabio----O'Shea---Brown/Evans----Evra
    Valencia----Carrick
    Fletcher--Nani
    Rooney
    Owen

Can't see too many changes in the back line, basically whoever is fir will play.

Think the wingers will be left as the were, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Park come in for either one.

Carrick being left out of the squad suggests he was getting a kick up the hole. I think Fergie may find out how if he felt it on Wednesday. Wouldn't drop Fletcher as I think he was one of our best players yesterday. Anderson may come in instead of Carrick depending on what the story is with Carrick.

I think Owen will come in for Berbatov to show Berbatov that Owen isn't just a bench/impact player and that he is a contender for your spot.

Is Nani actually fit? I missed all the post-match stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anyone know the expected Burnley line-up? If Eagles starts, he could cause some big problems for Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Wonder what the story was with Carrick?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Could see owen starting aswell but fancy burnley to grab a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Could be a tricky one, don't fancy O'Shea (though he looked assured v Brum) and Brown in the centre of defence. United should have enough to win it, though.

Could be a tricky one, don't fancy O'Shea (though he looked assured v Brum) and Brown in the centre of defence. United should have enough to win it, though.

Thats captain O'Shea to you!!!

Assuming Rio, Giggs, and Neville don't play.

• Advertisement

Rooney looking for his 100th United goal.

Hope it's not a jinx, it's not unusual to see players struggling to get over a landmark when it's approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Foster
    Fabio.JOS.Brown.Evra
    Valencia.Carrick.Ando.Park
    Rooney.Berbatov

Can't see Owen starting since Burnley will probably have 11 behind the ball. the game will suit Berbs better imo. Owen will probably come on if/when we are a goal up and the game gets a bit stretched.

Hopefully Foster continues his improvement.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Foster
    Fabio.JOS.Brown.Evra
    Rooney.Berbatov

Can't see Owen starting since Burnley will probably have 11 behind the ball. the game will suit Berbs better imo. Owen will probably come on if/when we are a goal up and the game gets a bit stretched.

that's why owen should start

No because there won't be any space behind them for Owens clever runs. Berbatov is more likely to unlock a packed defense.

However I still think Owen will start just not for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Shame its not on the tv :( should be a good game... I would start with Owen..please let Rooney get his goal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't know, they played some nice football last season and have some technical players. They'll be cuatious when they don't have the ball but I'd imagine being at home they'll actually try and go for it. Hopefully MU will do some damage on the counter.

• Advertisement

I don't know, they played some nice football last season and have some technical players. They'll be cuatious when they don't have the ball but I'd imagine being at home they'll actually try and go for it. Hopefully MU will do some damage on the counter.

With Burnley having United, Everton, Chelsea, and Liverpool all in a row I imagine they could be thinking our season really starts against Sunderland.

So there is a chance the could go out and actually try play the game as its so early in the season and these games won't be the ones deciding their season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The way i see it Owen is better when the game is stretched so he can make his runs off the shoulder of the defender. When the opposition are all out defending they end up sitting deeper so there is less space for him in behind imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Anyone reckon this may be on in Sinnotts in Dublin?

May give em a ring in a bit and find out.

Wont be an easy game for us I dont think. Whats good though is that its the start of the season and their pitch will be quality which will suit our game. I have memories of last season and around xmas time their pitch was pretty cut up.

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Wont be an easy game for us I dont think. Whats good though is that its the start of the season and their pitch will be quality which will suit our game. I have memories of last season and around xmas time their pitch was pretty cut up.

Woolshed may be a better bet.

Woolshed may be a better bet.

cheers alan keep forgetting about that place, will call them too.

• Advertisement

I think its football fans, rather than United fans they don't like. Definitely prefer there Rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm confused, how will the match be shown anywhere when it's not on tv?

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    I've been told by a good few people that the staff in Sinnotts aren't big fans of United. Heard one story where the was that finished at about 4 and a United match started at 4, and rather than switch over they listened to the Rugby analysis for a while and turned on the match with over a half hour gone.

Other little things like United matches being turned on without the sound. So I'd say if they're showing any football, it'll be the Liverpool-Stoke match

Thats a bit weird, sorry for dragging this off topic but I've watched 10+ games in Sinnotts last year and everytime they put the matches on. There were decent sized crowds and they always had on the full game and analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Without a doubt, they are absolute cúnts to United fans.

No United fan should give them any money.

Go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I've been told by a good few people that the staff in Sinnotts aren't big fans of United. Heard one story where there was a rugby match that finished at about 4 and a United match started at 4, and rather than switch over they listened to the Rugby analysis for a while and turned on the match with over a half hour gone.

Other little things like United matches being turned on without the sound. So I'd say if they're showing any football, it'll be the Liverpool-Stoke match

I'm confused, how will the match be shown anywhere when it's not on tv?

Certain places have foreign channels...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Try The living room too. Two of the biggest screens ive ever seen in a pub and the most obscure channells too so im sure they will pick up the United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The woolshed are advertising both Pool and Utd matches, I only live a few mins away so there it is.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

Pro. F wrote: »
    Foster
    Fabio.JOS.Brown.Evra
    Rooney.Berbatov

Owens pace would suit that kind of play, Berbatov's slow holding up play works against other teams but I would give Owen the nod over Berba

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement