Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous petrol station access

• 17-08-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

After frequently having and viewing near collisions with cars exiting from one of two adjacent exit points of this petrol station at Kilmacanogue in Co. Wicklow, right beside a junction exit sliproad onto a busy 100km/hr DC of the N11, location here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.16892,-6.135124&spn=0.002907,0.010986&t=h&z=17

I was pondering whether there are others of similar danger in other parts of Ireland (i.e. the location of the petrol station itself increases the risk of accident on the road)? The one on the N4 Lucan Bypass was a contender, but this has now been remedied more or less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

nordydan wrote: »
    After frequently having and viewing near collisions with cars exiting from one of two adjacent exit points of this petrol station at Kilmacanogue in Co. Wicklow, right beside a junction exit sliproad onto a busy 100km/hr DC of the N11, location here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.16892,-6.135124&spn=0.002907,0.010986&t=h&z=17

That stretch of road is 60kmph. Nobody obeys it though. That station/junction could do with having its own filter lane like the Texaco on the N4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Heroditas wrote: »
    That stretch of road is 60kmph. Nobody obeys it though. That station/junction could do with having its own filter lane like the Texaco on the N4
    I obey it and I'm not a regular user of the road. I thought it was well known that the cops hang out here zapping people.

The 60 limit here is a joke and something should be done to get the limit up to 100 on this otherwise fine stretch of road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem with the petrol station on the N4 was not the location of station, it was the behaviour of certain drivers idiots when exiting it. Some people insisting on trying to join the N4 rather than going up the slip road and back down it.

It's a shame that we had to spend X hundred thousand euro altering the junction just because a handful of people have no common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

Heroditas wrote: »

It is, but it reverts to 100km/hr after this unction, therefore if people see there are no cops around they're speeding up again by the time traffic startes to merge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

murphaph wrote: »
    I obey it and I'm not a regular user of the road. I thought it was well known that the cops hang out here zapping people.

+1

The people coming out of the garage should be forced up the sliproad and have to rejoin on the other side. This would ease the situtation somewhat though not solve it completly.

By making this manditory you would aso remove one of the last remaining obsticles from raising the speed limit on this stretch.

As as aside could they make the limits different on each side of the road, there really is no reason for the northbound to be 60 anymore. There are proper entries/exits on the junctions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

As as aside could they make the limits different on each side of the road
    The law has allowed this for a few years now. I think it was part of the metrication legislation. There are plenty of examples, N3 northbound between Blanchardstown roundabout and Blanchardstown centre is 100, 80 the other way for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Could they not just put a crash barrier, like the one in the central median, opposite the exit from that garage, surely that wouldn't cost much?
    Methinks there must be some other reason for allowing this situation to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

N7 Shell Station by Joels - since they added the bus lane (which is never used!) it is extremely difficult to rejoin N7 and little time after rejoining to get into outer lane for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Esso Beaufort S/S inbound on the N7 at Kill is lethal to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

+1

The people coming out of the garage should be forced up the sliproad and have to rejoin on the other side. This would ease the situtation somewhat though not solve it completly.

By making this manditory you would aso remove one of the last remaining obsticles from raising the speed limit on this stretch.

As as aside could they make the limits different on each side of the road, there really is no reason for the northbound to be 60 anymore. There are proper entries/exits on the junctions

Wicklow County Council are presently proposing to increase the northbound carriageway to 80km/h.

• Advertisement

Wicklow County Council are presently proposing to increase the northbound carriageway to 80km/h.

:rolleyes: why not 100 though? there's no reason not to. pedestrians are seperated and bridge provided. Slip road on and off road. Bus (145) doesn't even join the road till the limit is 100 anyway after the Avoca turnoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

:rolleyes: why not 100 though? there's no reason not to. pedestrians are seperated and bridge provided. Slip road on and off road. Bus (145) doesn't even join the road till the limit is 100 anyway after the Avoca turnoff.

I agree, it should be 100km/h, but 80km/h is better than the present 60km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They also announced a few months ago that the northbound limit past Glen of the downs would be increasing to 100km/hr. No sign of either speed limit increase yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote: »
    They also announced a few months ago that the northbound limit past Glen of the downs would be increasing to 100km/hr. No sign of either speed limit increase yet though.
    It's only 80km/h for a very short distance around the bend just past Glen of the Downs, which pretty much everyone including myself ignore.

Alun wrote: »
    It's only 80km/h for a very short distance around the bend just past Glen of the Downs, which pretty much everyone including myself ignore.

And thats because they were to lazy to bank the corner correctly when relaying the road during the widening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And thats because they were to lazy to bank the corner correctly when relaying the road during the widening.

I thought it was because of the entrance to the GOTD carpark on the southbound lane.

WRT Kilmac - its a mess of weaving traffic in both directions - they should have a continuous, seperated auxiliary lane right the the way through Kilmac on both sides of the road.

Advertisement