Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Vodafone phone bought in NI work in Republic?

• 17-08-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Is it possible to use a Northern Ireland Vodafone phone in the south with a Republic of Ireland bill pay SIM?

Comments

No, not without unlocking it anyway. Different network.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Karsini wrote: »
    No, not without unlocking it anyway. Different network.

I've read that most prepay phones are (once they don't have any logos on the boxes) but maybe it's old information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Dopey wrote: »
    I've read that most prepay phones are (once they don't have any logos on the boxes) but maybe it's old information.

Some are unlocked. Best British network for unlocked phones is O2 UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

I've bought a british vodafone phone and it worked here, some of the wap and internet settings do need to be changed but as for making and taking calls its fine.
    I have found that an english SIM wont work in an Irish phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Colmm23 wrote: »
    I've bought a british vodafone phone and it worked here, some of the wap and internet settings do need to be changed but as for making and taking calls its fine.
    I have found that an english SIM wont work in an Irish phone though.
    The phone needs to be unlocked. This is not a given. Check before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

keep it on the same network and its fine BUT they charge roaming charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The OP wants to use a ROI SIM in a UK phone though. He's not asking about using UK SIM + UK phone in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Random wrote: »
    The OP wants to use a ROI SIM in a UK phone though. He's not asking about using UK SIM + UK phone in ROI.

ah well then in that case.... no

Advertisement