Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW Shock mount help

• 17-08-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I recently bought a BMW (E36) and it needed 2 new front shocks and springs. I ordered them off the internet but I have a problem. I'm missing a part. I have the shock and spring for each side but I don't have the cap/washer for the springs. I don't need the part that bolts to the chasis. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

can you not re-use the existing one ?

from the diagram in the link below what part are you referring to?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=BE71&mospid=47426&hg=31&fg=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I can't use the original one as the car came with coilovers/adjustable shocks and the springs were different. All I'm missing are the rubber pieces that stop the spring rubbing and hold it in place. I don't need the piece that bolts to the chasiss but I am having alot of difficulty finding the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe a trip to your local scrap yard might be in order.

What year is your BMW. Was in my local breakers yesterday,

came across 3 3series late 90's models.

I tried 3 yards already but all they will sell is the complete shock. I might have to go down that road but it seems like alot of waste as I would have no need for the struts. All I need is the housing.

BTW it's a 1994 E36 M3

• Advertisement

bonham23 wrote: »
    can you not re-use the existing one ?

from the diagram in the link below what part are you referring to?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=BE71&mospid=47426&hg=31&fg=10

Thanks for the diagram really useful. I need parts 11 - 20. Any idea where I can purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

if you can't source them second hand i'd say you'll have to go to a main dealer as these are not consumable parts.

try
    www.fabdirect.com they deal only in scrapped bmws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If your any way handy with a tools.

Tell them you need a few bits and pieces off a BMW.

Works for me at my nearest (Kinsella's near the RedCow).

Lads will leave you to it, even lend you a few tools if your stuck.

There quite helpful.

They even had a 90's green 3 series up on the roof of another car yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for the diagram really useful. I need parts 11 - 20. Any idea where I can purchase?

Take down the part numbers and any BMW dealer will get them for you.

Thanks for the advice lads. Phoned Joe Duffy Motors and got everything sorted. Was also cheaper than breakers yard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement