Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoe Dyeing

• 17-08-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

not sure if there's another thread on this, can't find one..

i need silver shoes for my debs which is in just over two weeks, however i cant find any suitable ones as i need quite high heels to avoid my dress trailing.

my boyfriend's sister told me that she sprayed a pair of shoes silver for her debs and i was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere i could get it done?
    or somewhere that dyes shoes?
    i'd be worried that paint might crack easily if they were sprayed so i'd be leaning more towards dying them..
    don't want to do a DIY job on them as i know i'd mess it up.
    i've done a quick google search but so far can only find places where you have to buy the shoes there to have them dyed.
    i was thinking of buying a cheap enough pair of shoes in new look or the like and having them dyed somewhere if i can..

also what material or colour shoes would be easiest to dye?

any info would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

not sure if there's another thread on this, can't find one..

i need silver shoes for my debs which is in just over two weeks, however i cant find any suitable ones as i need quite high heels to avoid my dress trailing.

my boyfriend's sister told me that she sprayed a pair of shoes silver for her debs and i was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere i could get it done?
    or somewhere that dyes shoes?
    i'd be worried that paint might crack easily if they were sprayed so i'd be leaning more towards dying them..
    don't want to do a DIY job on them as i know i'd mess it up.
    i've done a quick google search but so far can only find places where you have to buy the shoes there to have them dyed.
    i was thinking of buying a cheap enough pair of shoes in new look or the like and having them dyed somewhere if i can..

also what material or colour shoes would be easiest to dye?

any info would be great :)

I think there's a place in Malahide that does them, I got a leaflet in the door about three days ago, it specifically mentioned dyeing shoes for debs dresses and the like......but I threw it out :(

Actually, it's this place, Bliss http://www.blissmalahide.ie/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 but it may be that you have to buy the shoes there first....doesn't really make it clear. You could try ringing them if that's not one of the places you found already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Was watching Gok Wan's Fashion Fix yesterday and he spray painted a pair of shoes so have a look on the website to see if it says anything about it. It was actually the heels he spray painted so he put masking tape on the actual shoe.

By the way, surely there are highheeled silver shoes out there! Buying shoes & spray could end up costing more! What makes you think you can get the perfect shade of silver? I'd keep looking for shoes if I were you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 g1rl

My local key-cutters also does re-heeling and stretching of shoes and he dyes shoes too, I'd ring around and see if any key-cutter's in your area do the same and ask them their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Barratts shoes have plenty of silver heels, I was in there today looking for my Debs shoes! You should find something there, dye-ing/spraying sounds like an awful lot of hassle and the shoes have to be made of a fabric that will take the dye and of course light enough that silver will show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

they mostly dye shoes in any debs shop:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A lot of shoe cobblers do them. You could also spray them or check your local material shop and you can get a dye that you can do it yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Well I was looking for gold shoes for my debs, very hard to find any, but what I did notice was plenty of silver! (Went to one last year too, it was the other way around :rolleyes: )

Anyway I saw a pair with diamondy straps in dunnes, about twenty euro. And there's some in next too I think.

Buying a cheap pair may work out cheaper in the long run. I know my shoes at the debs last year weren't in a great state coming home. And I saw plenty of broken heels. Just remember that in case dying is expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I bought a pair of dark grey leather boots in River Island last year. Spent 120 quid on them (an investment for the winter)

I used protective spray but theyve still faded and gone a bit greenish in places... would coblers or anywhere dye leather boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

thanks for all the replies, I asked the guy in my local key-cutting place about getting them done and he said that most car spraying garages will do them for next to nothing.
    anyone have any experience with that?

and i wouldn't be asking about dyeing them if i hadn't already looked practically everywhere. i've searched through town twice, blanch and i've even been up to belfast looking with no joy. i know there are lots of silver shoes out there but none are as high as i need them for the dress.

If i end up going down the dyeing route i'll buy cheap enough shoes that i won't mind if they get wrecked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Spray them yourself! It's dead easy!

Get yourself some masking tape and tape over any parts you don't want sprayed (e.g. inside the shoe, the soles...). Use a metallic silver spray paint (the shoe dyes won't be silver enough and will come out grey)- the one I used was one for cars which I got in my local hardware store. Spray a thin layer only and wait for them to dry, then apply another if you need to.
    I've worn mine 3-4 times now and there's no sign of chipping/cracking... yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

Eerie wrote: »
    Spray them yourself! It's dead easy!

Get yourself some masking tape and tape over any parts you don't want sprayed (e.g. inside the shoe, the soles...). Use a metallic silver spray paint (the shoe dyes won't be silver enough and will come out grey)- the one I used was one for cars which I got in my local hardware store. Spray a thin layer only and wait for them to dry, then apply another if you need to.
    I've worn mine 3-4 times now and there's no sign of chipping/cracking... yet :D

thanks a mill, i'll definitely give it a shot :)
    do you remember the name of the spray you used by eny chance..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

I don't remember!:( It was in a black can though with a pic of a car wheel on the front! Hope that'll narrow it down!

Advertisement