Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some Reggae music?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been listening to a lot of Easy Star All-Stars recently. They've really grown on me, and I'd like to start listening to more reggae music. I've given "Super ape" by Lee Scratch Perry a listen. It's pretty good, but I'd like something a bit more space-y, maybe without vocals (easier to listen to while working).

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've heard only good things about this new kid on the block called Bob Marley. Haven't heard any of his stuff mind, but he might be worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sublime. More ska/punk/reggae but well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Dragan wrote: »
    Sublime. More ska/punk/reggae but well worth a listen.
    Yeah, the self-titled album is on my regular playlist. That's the only one I know though so I might pick up some more.
    Good suggestion, but not quite what I had in mind. Sublime are kind of going in the opposite direction from "mellow" :D

I've heard only good things about this new kid on the block called Bob Marley. Haven't heard any of his stuff mind, but he might be worth a listen.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Fremen wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been listening to a lot of Easy Star All-Stars recently. They've really grown on me, and I'd like to start listening to more reggae music. I've given "Super ape" by Lee Scratch Perry a listen. It's pretty good, but I'd like something a bit more space-y, maybe without vocals (easier to listen to while working).

Any recommendations?

Sounds like you want to listen to some dub reggae. That'll give you the spacey, echoey, bass heavy vibe. Compilations are a good way of hearing a range of stuff.
    Studio One have a load of excellent compilations, each one zoning into a certain aspect of reggae so check out the dub/roots ones.
    http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/discography/?l=1

Trojan records also do great comps, Dub Box Set has a load of great tunes on it. http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Box-Set-Various-Artists/dp/B00006BXIF

Great mix here from an Irish DJ I met a few months ago
    http://frederthanfred.podomatic.com/entry/2009-01-24T00_53_19-08_00

A few names I like. Knowledge, Freddie McGregor, Augustus Pablo, Jackie Mittoo, Barrington Levy, Culture, John Holt, Horace Andy and Lee Perry as you said.

Happy listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Others to consider are Burning Spear & Black Uhuru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good example of what you'll find on the Soul Jazz compilations and one of my favourite songs ever:

Two pretty well known LPs here and two of my favourites:

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown.

Title track:

Max Romeo and the Upsetters - War Ina Babylon

Title track:

Also one of my favourite compilations (full of killers) is this (volume 2):

41D61D0HQCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Great track of this album:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Check out Peter Tosh's album "legalise it"!

Advertisement