Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

inniú

• 17-08-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I remember my Irish teacher telling me something about the word inniú - that it was once two words. I'm only asking because I was looking a little bit into Scottish Gaelic, checking similarities (which there are millions) - and for today - they use an-diugh (basically, the day) (kinda phonetically similar to inniú).

Does anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Before the Caighdeán Oifigiúil, inniu was spelt 'indiu' and inné was spelt 'indé'. But I've no idea of which two words 'indiu' is comprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah right - an-diugh/indiu - I can see it now. Maybe an diu originally? I mean, it would have been derived from it maybe a few hundred years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Well there is never a fada on the 'u' at the end, even though it's long sounding u.

But yeah it is also pronounced as 'inniubh' which shows a development in the pronunciation of 'uigh' sound which came at end of words.

I think indiu was actually 'i ndiu(gh)' which were made to run in together.

Would love to learn more about this.

I wonder is it anything to do with 'Dia'

Sorry have a habit of putting the fada on it. I always hear innuibh aswell, but I'm used to using inniu with a long u.

• Advertisement

pog it wrote: »
    I think indiu was actually 'i ndiu(gh)' which were made to run in together.

Ah yeah, that sounds about right. My gaeilge teacher was telling me about it - i think diu had a certain significance though. Can't remember for the life of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

pog it wrote: »
    I wonder is it anything to do with 'Dia'

If you check out Foclóir Dineen, you'll see that 'dia' can mean 'day'. For example:
    • "Dia Luain"
    • "Dia Máirt"
    • "i ndiu"
    • "i ndé"

Therefore 'diu' is a form of "dia", but I don't know what grammatical form yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Contemporary Gáidhlig (in Scotland) is what Irish was like hundreds of years ago. The derivation of 'an-diugh' etc. is from the Latin 'dies' (the English word 'day' itself is from the Latin). Hodie is the Latin for 'inniu' The Gaidhlig for 'inné' is an-dé.We are very close in more ways than one.

If you check out Foclóir Dineen, you'll see that 'dia' can mean 'day'. For example:
    • "Dia Luain"
    • "Dia Máirt"
    • "i ndiu"
    • "i ndé"
    Therefore 'diu' is a form of "dia", but I don't know what grammatical form yet!

Time I got me the Dinneen dictionary.

Well going on the logic of Dé Luain, Dé Máirt, etc. with the Dé being genitive of Dia, and as such ya know all the days of the week are 'of' Dia (DAY) so maybe yesterday as in past tense deserved more so the genitive of Dia, and today -present tense- got the closer relation to Dia.. So perhaps Diu is just an older Irish word for Dia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i ndiu - aniogh - -inniu - inniubh

i cant remember why but i was told - as far as i know the i ndiu is how old irish was pronounced and then gradualy changed up until the modern inniu which dropped the inniubh pronunciation which is still widely heard

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I remember my Irish teacher telling me something about the word inniú - that it was once two words. I'm only asking because I was looking a little bit into Scottish Gaelic, checking similarities (which there are millions) - and for today - they use an-diugh (basically, the day) (kinda phonetically similar to inniú).

Does anybody know?

Any chance Dlofnep you would get in touch with that Irish teacher of yours and find out all the info??!

Ya know teachers love that kind of thing :D hehe

Haven't spoke to her in ages, I'll try root up her number or e-mail and I'll ask.

Advertisement