Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Belkin Wireless Set UP...

Options
  • 17-08-2009 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,
    I am having some annoying problems setting up my wireless so if anyone could help out would be great .....;)

I recently got UPC cable broadband installed...its connected via a Scientific Altlanta cable modem...this works fine through connection to the ethernet cable to the laptop - DHCP auto configs the lot.

Recently I wanted to add my Belkin Wireless G router to the network....this is done through the ethernet cable. When connected to the cable modem through ethernet, it reads no internet connection at the belkin setup screen...The cable modem does not give the belkin router an IP address and the belkin doesnt detect any settings....I have played around with manually entering IP addresses (using the settings that DHCP gives my laptop) but no joy....

When the Belkin is config as an Access Point, the ethernet ports on it work but no wireless...entering an IP address for the point 'is not valid'

If anyone has done this setup or could ease my headache it would be appriciated....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Belkin is a router only, and not a DSL modem too, right?

Have you connected the Ethernet cable to the Belkin's WAN port, or one of the LAN ports? It should be connected to the WAN port if it's to work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chew-e

hey jor el,
    ya the cable runs from the cable modems ethernet port to the wan port of the belkin...

sorry forgot to say that as you said the belkin is a router/access point only

Sorted this problem out...clone the MAC address of the machine on the setup of the Belkin...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

chew-e, is the Belkin router you have a dedicated router or is it a dsl/cable modem with inbuilt router?

Just wondering cos I'm getting UPC broadband installed tomorrow and by the looks of it all I'll be getting is a cable modem. I already have a 3com OfficeConnect DSL modem + router + 4 port switch and I'm hoping to hook that up to the UPC cable modem and just use it as a wireless access point.

If that fails I might just pop out to pcworld and pick up a Linksys cable modem/router. They seem to be a popular choice.

• Advertisement

I dont see what would be wrong with that, configed as an AP, there shouldnt be any problems...but it all really depends on the 3com OfficeConnect...All I can tell you is that the only output from the UPC Scientific Atlanta is an ethernet which u shud use as your WAN port....

If you are getting wireless, or its included (above 3mb connection), then its a different story as they give a nice cisco wifi router and set it up for you...

Advertisement