Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit

Options
  • 17-08-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I got myself a rabbit at the weekend. I have the saddle, front and hind legs.

I have a couple of questions about it.

There is a kind of light, almost fully see-through skin on the hind quarters. It's kind of slimey, and it won't come off the joint without taking half the meat with it. What is this? Is it edible?

Anyone got a decent recipe for a stew/casserole.

I was going to fry the rabbit off, then whack it in a casserole dish with some veg and herbs and stock (most online places say to use chicken stock, so I'll go with that).

I've never cooked rabbit before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm guessing this is the silverskin (as with pork, beef etc). You can cut it off with a sharp knife, takes a while and a bit of practice! I'd say you'll need to remove it if you plan to cook that piece of meat as a whole.

Edit - this might be handy -
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=YpbxFXrr4kMC&lpg=PA102&ots=nlCoojh8J-&dq=silverskin%20meat&pg=PA102#v=onepage&q=silverskin%20meat&f=false

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Rabbit paella is one of the nicest things you'll ever taste, I'd take it any day over a bunny stew or cassarole. Quick google throws up;

http://www.roshani.co.uk/livingtoeat/?page_id=22

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516667 (I'd minus the carrots in this)

I'd murder some bunny paella after reading those...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Des wrote: »
    I've never cooked rabbit before.

Rabbit is very lean meat. This means that its really easy to cook it into dry nothingness...which is why stew/casserole is a good bet.

Your basic idea is pretty-much on the money. Stew/casserole will help avoid that dried-out effect you can get from roasting/grilling.

We'd often do a casserole based on white wine, mustard, thyme and suchlike for rabbit.

Consider adding some chopped streaky bacon (or lardons) into the thing as well...it adds flavour, and also helps add a bit of fat to the sauce (which is a good thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Des - Dust the rabbit pieces in seasoned flour & brown very quickly (so as not to dry the meat out) in oil & butter on a high heat (with some lardons of bacon as bonkey suggested).

Then into a casserole dish with veg of your choice & stock as you already suggested. Maybe a bayleaf or two & some thyme. Us some of the stock to de-glaze the pan & add this to the casserole dish too.

We're also coming into that time of year when a good alternative would be to use 50/50 chicken stock & cider & thrown in a few eating apples sliced up. (Cookers tend to go to mush quicker.)

Advertisement