Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post grad Diploma in IT in Education

• 17-08-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm looking to branch out into being an ICT co ordinator in secondary schools.
    I'm finishing off an honours degree in IT and wondered if it was worth doing this course as an add on instead of the H dip in Education?

I saw another poster who had a degree in IT and it wasn't enough to get a teaching gig but would the computing in education be enough to be the ICt coordinator?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm looking to branch out into being an ICT co ordinator in secondary schools.
    I'm finishing off an honours degree in IT and wondered if it was worth doing this course as an add on instead of the H dip in Education?

I saw another poster who had a degree in IT and it wasn't enough to get a teaching gig but would the computing in education be enough to be the ICt coordinator?

You're not going to get a job as an ICT co-ordinator unless you are a teacher in the school and you're not going to get a teaching job unless you are a qualified teacher. And if you have only got IT, like in the other thread that chance is slim to none unless you are teaching IT in an adult education course.

IT co-ordinator is not an advertised post, it's an internal post within a school. Is there such a course for IT Co-ordinator? An IT Co-ordinator is not a full time job, typically a person doing that work fixes computers, sets up student logins, installs software, does the school website etc. (all of course depending on what your school requires - these are the things I used to do in my school), but they do all of these things along with their teaching job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

You can't just become an IT co-ordinator. Its a post within a school as rainbowtrout has said and you must do a hdip to qualify as a teacher. However with an ICT degree alone, you are not eligible to do the hdip.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Good to know, thanks for clearing that up.
    Now onto another question.
    If I'm doing a degree by distance learning via the OU can I just slot in any 2 subjects that are on the curriculum into that and then qualify for the h dip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Good to know, thanks for clearing that up.
    Now onto another question.
    If I'm doing a degree by distance learning via the OU can I just slot in any 2 subjects that are on the curriculum into that and then qualify for the h dip?

I'm not too sure on that one. I didn't meet any teacher on my dip course who'd done their degree through the OU. If you log on to the teaching council website it lists the eligible degrees for doing the hdip.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

It looks like the computing degree from OU won't be recognised by the teaching council. Computing classes from most of the ITs and universities are listed though. If I complete the primary degree from OU and do the UK teaching post grad would that carry any weight?

I looked into finishing my degree part time but didn't find any programme in Ireland that didn't want you to go during the day instead of by night.

I'm just trying to make sure that I put my energy in the right places and don't waste it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It looks like the computing degree from OU won't be recognised by the teaching council. Computing classes from most of the ITs and universities are listed though. If I complete the primary degree from OU and do the UK teaching post grad would that carry any weight?

I looked into finishing my degree part time but didn't find any programme in Ireland that didn't want you to go during the day instead of by night.

I'm just trying to make sure that I put my energy in the right places and don't waste it.

There are only 2 degrees from OU recognised by the Teaching Council at the moment, one allows you to teach Chemistry, it's a BSc in Molecular Chemistry I think, and the other is two of their maths degrees, BSc in Mathematics, or BSc in Maths and Stats. I'm doing the maths and stats one at the moment so I'll have another subject.

But regardless of what IT degree you have or teaching qualification from the UK, there are no teaching jobs in IT in Ireland. IT is an A level subject as far as I know in the UK, it barely makes the timetable here. A school is generally not going to look at you unless you have an exam subject as one of your subjects.

Advertisement