Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Printer

Options
  • 17-08-2009 3:54pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question..

PC1 has a printer connected via USB. Printer Sharing is turned on for that particular printer and both printer and machine online. PC1 connected to router via ethernet.

PC2 connected to router via Wireless. Unable to find printer. Just "Microsoft Windows Network".

Am I missing something? I cant think what the problem is. *ponders*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

In xp you use the "find printer wizard" in Printers and Faxs in the control panel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    In xp you use the "find printer wizard" in Printers and Faxs in the control panel.

Yup, aware of that. As I said, its only finding "Microsoft Windows Network"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Both computers must be in the same WorkGroup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Both computers must be in the same WorkGroup.

Changed so they are, still not found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Make sure that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is ticked in the network connection settings of both computers.

• Advertisement

Make sure that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is ticked in the network connection settings of both computers.

Sure is.

Also worth mentioning that the PC the printer is on is not allowing me view the list of workgroups. When I look at the printers available over the network, its not showing the MSHOME workgroup despite My Computer indicating thats what its on (and yes, rebooted on change). Second PC detecting the MSHOME network but not the printer.

EDIT: The PC with the printer is named "PC1" and the other is "PC2". PC1 is able to find itself and PC2 (requiring authentication for account "Guest" which I dont have).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Followed the same procedure as the OP and felt like banking my head of the wall. I'm missing something simple too!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Did ye allow File and Printer sharing through your firewall?

Did ye allow File and Printer sharing through your firewall?

Firewall turned of on both machines.

(Commdo firewall on PC2, Windows Firewall PC1).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Dunno so, if Commodo is anything like ZoneAlarm it will stay enabled even when it says its off

• Advertisement

PC3 added to the network. XP machine again - unable to see PC1 or PC2. No firewall.

Something so simple has became so complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I know its no consolation to you but I've had exactly the same probs in the past. I've had to create a new network on a regular basis just to use the printer. It got to the stage when it was easier to physicly(sp) move the printer to the PC in order to use it.
    Not any help to you but I know where your coming from......

Im going to do some more testing tommrow but PC1 Network Wizzard while saying it was completed, never seemed to do anything (though, I have not done that type of network in god knows how long).

Iv had this working before, strange.

Advertisement