Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Italian rest. in Tuam

Options
  • 17-08-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anybody know when the new Italian place is going to open? Good news for Tuam and me as I love Italian food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hopefully it lasts a bit longer than the previous occupant (Silver Spoon). I also love Italian food, I'm not so sure about the rest of the Tuam citizenry though.

There was an Italian up in the town square where the pharmacy is now a few years ago. It didn't last too long.

As for when its opening, I seem to recall an ad on the front of the Tuam Herald mentioning next week, soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Opening Friday August 21st according to the ad on the front of the Herald. I think it could work as long as they keep the food simple and tasty, Jamie Oliver in Italy style of food. Also the service has to be quick.

Italian food goes down well, you can get a bit tired of ice cream scoops of potatoes and veg boiled within an inch of its life.

I for one am looking forward to it and rumor has it there will be another one opening soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It's actually opening tomorrow night (Thursday) when a crowd of specially invited guests (the glitterati of Tuam!!) are being rounded up to sample their fare with a drop of fine wine thrown in for good measure . . . all for free of couse. Then on Friday, it is open to the rest of the rest of us plebs.

The other italian is opening in a pub on High Street in Tuam . . . a sort of pizza and pint job I am led to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

MayoForSam wrote: »
    There was an Italian up in the town square where the pharmacy is now a few years ago. It didn't last too long.

Uh, that Italian restaurant in the suare that didn't last too long was there for about 20 years until the owners retired!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

A new Bistro/Grill is opening up in Tuam Shopping Centre (formerly Cafe Florence) on the 2nd week of September:)

• Advertisement

bazjnr wrote: »
    Uh, that Italian restaurant in the suare that didn't last too long was there for about 20 years until the owners retired!!????

Caffolla's was there for donkey's years but their speciality was fish and chips (hardly Italian). One of the sons did set up a pizzeria/pasta restaurant on part of the premises but that was short-lived.

All I'm saying is I would love a good Italian restaurant to thrive in Tuam but in recessionary times I hope that the owners have a very good business plan.

Anyone attend Tuam's newest bistro? Any reviews? Passed by on Sunday night and the place looked jammed.

Not in it but heard from people who were that it was a rocky beginning with orders mixed up and general chaos. Why people flock to a restaurant that is just after opening - when mistakes are most likely to be made - is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

Love the advert in the Tuam Herald for it. "An Italian Restaurant run by Italian People" under which is written "Proprieter: M. Cunningham" Funny!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 prettie

Hi we checked out the new italian last nite and was very dissapointed, as was alot of other diners that was there,it was busy but being in catering myself i taught there was to much on the menuand the kitchen couldnt handle it.there was only 2 chefs and there was alot of take away orders aswell which was good for them but the diners sittin in had to suffer, alot of mix up with orders and a long wait the hunger was gone off us.there was also a lack of communication with the staff very dissapointed customer really hope it improves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭poochie2009

damn...and theres me looking forward to a good italian in tuam...oh well..back up to galway on a sat nite so

Booked there for Friday evening so will give a blow by blow account of what it's like. Don't have high hopes though.

rco2000 wrote: »
    A new Bistro/Grill is opening up in Tuam Shopping Centre (formerly Cafe Florence) on the 2nd week of September:)

Just seen on Tuam Shopping Centre facebook site.....

It's to be called Pedro's Cafe & Grill & will provide Irish food. They are looking for catering staff & are opening at the end of next week. Happy days.:)

Also hearing very good reports about the new Italian.:)

Just seen on Tuam Shopping Centre facebook site.....

It's to be called Pedro's Cafe & Grill & will provide Irish food. They are looking for catering staff & are opening at the end of next week. Happy days.:)

Also hearing very good reports about the new Italian.:)

The new Italian in Tuam is quite good despite the initial teething problems. A meal for two (one pasta dish and one pizza) with one starter and a bottle of nummy wine came to €35. The quality of food was of a high standard. Going there again on Friday evening. Christ, you wouldn't cook at home for that price!

dec25532 wrote: »
    The new Italian in Tuam is quite good despite the initial teething problems. A meal for two (one pasta dish and one pizza) with one starter and a bottle of nummy wine came to €35. The quality of food was of a high standard. Going there again on Friday evening. Christ, you wouldn't cook at home for that price!

That's fantastic value. Must try it out at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Ah good ole Pedro from Espana!!! :D

Had a nice meal here at the weekend - good food & good value. However the place is very cramped & service terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Had a nice meal here at the weekend - good food & good value. However the place is very cramped & service terrible.

Sounds like they are trying to make it as authentic as possible. Will try it when I get down next, thanks for the reviews!

Anyone hear what the other one on High Street is like (where The Snug used to be). Passed by it earlier and there were fek all in it. Probably came too late into the market what with Little Italy doing so well.

I was there at the weekend with four friends and can honestly say this is the best place to eat in Tuam.

The menu is typically Italian with three menus L'antipasto, Il primo, Il secondo, with a choice of two sides with each meal from the Il Primo menu and with some of the Il Secondo menu, I thought the sides were poor with the choices being chips, salad or bread. We have varied meals from vegetarian, meat and fish and all the food was very tasty. We had the house wine, which was reasonably priced and very nice.

The staff are 90% Italian, and very friendly exactly as it says in the ad that appeared in the paper as far as I could tell only one of the waiting staff was of a different nationality, the atmosphere was pleasant with low background music, toilets were clean and well presented as was the restaurant. Children also seemed to be well catered for.

Judging from the amount of traffic and Pizzas going out the take away side of the business seems to be going very well for them.

I am looking forward to me next visit..

T

• Advertisement

Tinder wrote: »
    I was there at the weekend with four friends and can honestly say this is the best place to eat in Tuam.

The menu is typically Italian with three menus L'antipasto, Il primo, Il secondo, with a choice of two sides with each meal from the Il Primo menu and with some of the Il Secondo menu, I thought the sides were poor with the choices being chips, salad or bread. We have varied meals from vegetarian, meat and fish and all the food was very tasty. We had the house wine, which was reasonably priced and very nice.

The staff are 90% Italian, and very friendly exactly as it says in the ad that appeared in the paper as far as I could tell only one of the waiting staff was of a different nationality, the atmosphere was pleasant with low background music, toilets were clean and well presented as was the restaurant. Children also seemed to be well catered for.

Judging from the amount of traffic and Pizzas going out the take away side of the business seems to be going very well for them.

I am looking forward to me next visit..

T

Which one were you in? Little Italy or the other one closer to The Square? It would be handy if you told us what you had, the prices you were charged etc. This is the stuff we all savour, so to speak!

Sorry Dec,

Little Italy..

Prices were reasonable, don't remember the exact prices but mains were about the €14 to €17 for pasta and steak about €20 but not as high as Cre Na Cille. Starters around €3.50 to €6.50.

That's reasonable enough, Tinder, but have a look at the thread on Pedro's which might offer equally good food at around the same value for money. Haven't tried it myself but then they don't have any wine licence. A damn pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭presotrader

checked the place on our latest trip on the West coast, it was nice and surprisingly not very crowded

Finally got to try out the other new Italian 'La Vissuta' (The Snug) and I thought the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Came to €60 for 2 adults and 2 kids with mains all around (kids shared a good-sized pizza), 1 glass of wine , sides, two desserts and coffee. One complaint was that there was a very cold draft coming in from the main door. Recommended.

I think it's better than Little Italy. Food there was excellent the last time we were there. But agree that the draught in the front door is criminal. That is one aspect of this restaurant that has to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Are you discussing the restaurant where the Snug sued to be? What is the name of the one in the Snug? Any reviews?

Only one Italian left now, little Italy is closed. I suggest you read through the thread Glenman, there are review contained with in it.

As Mayo for sam said two posts ago..
    Finally got to try out the other new Italian 'La Vissuta' (The Snug) and I thought the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. Came to €60 for 2 adults and 2 kids with mains all around (kids shared a good-sized pizza), 1 glass of wine , sides, two desserts and coffee. One complaint was that there was a very cold draft coming in from the main door. Recommended.

Advertisement