Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs v Liverpool X1 - Photos

• 17-08-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

Tonight (monday 17th August KO 7.45pm )

Bohs v Liverpool X1 (reserves team) ... play at Dalymount park - opportunity to get some pics of rising stars (Eircom League of Course :P)

will head down myself and see whats the story - the game is a sell out - but that doesnt include Photographers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's called the League of Ireland now buddy.;)

Can't believe it actually sold-out a bunch of Bohs reserves/youth against Liverpool youth, barstoolers, don't ye just love em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Well did you go down and did they let you in

Cannot believe anybody in their right mind would pay good money to see a Bohs reserve team play a Liverpool reserve team, I believe the Liverpool team were booed at half time as it was 0-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Heading to Bucharest myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I went down - no problems getting in .... was sold out - looked like a couple of extra people in the stadium.

was definately a youths team from both sides.....had some lens/focus problems .... not a whole lot of sharp images....and not a whole lot of action during the game.

It's called the League of Ireland now buddy.;)

Can't believe it actually sold-out a bunch of Bohs reserves/youth against Liverpool youth, barstoolers, don't ye just love em.

League of Ireland/Eircom League ..... same thing :rolleyes: .... better than me calling it the Irish League...... it'll always be the Eircom League to me....at least till another big sponsor and huge publicity promoting the league.

• Advertisement

I dont think they were "boo'd" ....if they were it was only a small number of Bohs fans doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any "You'll Never Walk Alone" chants?

Supposely some lads over on Irishkop are giving out that the cheerleaders has The Sun on there tops or something!:D

Decent pictures PCPhoto.

soccerc wrote: »
    Heading to Bucharest myself ;)

Thats it SoccerC real football, real fans!

Thats it SoccerC real football, real fans!

he's going 'cos he's getting paid to go :D

I wish I could go - but its not gonna happen (no-one wants to pay me to travel and I cant afford it.

Didnt hear any "You'll never walk alone" - but then again it was mainly barstoolers not too many actual fans that were there :P

As for the half-time girls....it definately wasnt "The Sun" ..... but sister company NOTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

PCPhoto wrote: »
    he's going 'cos he's getting paid to go :D

PC that's not the case, I was going regardless ;)

I didn't go to Russia as I could not get a visa in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

like the shots lads , especially the half-time one ;)

ok it's not Atletico but it seems like a fun / different way to spend a Monday evening.

soccerc wrote: »
    PC that's not the case, I was going regardless ;)

I didn't go to Russia as I could not get a visa in time

*Sigh* If only I had the money to be able to afford such luxuries - going to a game in a foreign country (and not be working at it) .. .mind you .... I probably wouldnt go unless I could take pics at a game :P (last time I went to a game without taking pics was an Ireland international at Lansdowne Road)

might try to save up some money and go to next round :) assuming they get past Bucharest. (Fingers, eyes and toes crossed)

enjoy Bucharest Soccerc !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any "You'll Never Walk Alone" chants?

Supposely some lads over on Irishkop are giving out that the cheerleaders has The Sun on there tops or something!:D

I support them in their outrage against The Sun and other Murdoch subsidiaries including Sky Spor..........oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hi PCPHOTO ,
    Some decent shots there, well done. Just out of curiosity are you "accredited" , or did you turn up wave up big lense around:P and blag your way in?

Trev

Trev M wrote: »
    Hi PCPHOTO ,
    Some decent shots there, well done. Just out of curiosity are you "accredited" , or did you turn up wave up big lense around:P and blag your way in?

Trev

were you watching me or something .... didnt exactly wave it around but turned up and walked in*
    *= I have been taking photos professionally for a number of years (over 10yrs) and have been in the ground loads of times.

Cheers for the reply, Im interested from the point of view that Id like to cover some domestic soccer myself. Ive been in contact with my local club and have a chance to shoot a game next saturday so hopefully I'll have some good shots.

Im pretty conscious of the fact that I may be threading on some toes though :rolleyes:, "You tuk 'ur jobs" kinda thing, what do ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cheers for the reply, Im interested from the point of view that Id like to cover some domestic soccer myself. Ive been in contact with my local club and have a chance to shoot a game next saturday so hopefully I'll have some good shots.

Im pretty conscious of the fact that I may be threading on some toes though :rolleyes:, "You tuk 'ur jobs" kinda thing, what do ya think?

You're only taking someone's job if you give your images away for free. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with a little competition.

I replaced a previous club photographer, not because I undercut his price (I actually charge more) but because I was able to provide consistent quality.

Most clubs like the extra media attention, but some clubs already have plenty of photographers.

Go enjoy it, and best of luck.

Cheers Paul, when you put it like that Id say errrr:rolleyes:.... Im in no position to demand money from anyone to be honest:). Im not a professional photographer and dont claim to be.

Ive no desire to under cut, replace anyone, so I guessa bit of tact is required?

That said I do want to share the pics with the club after being provided an opportunity to shoot the game. Im also aware that in a lot of circumstances its possible to have good vantage points without any permission required etc. so ya know its a bit unrealistic for a pro to suggest no one else can take pics of the game etc etc

So when you say give the pics away free I assume you mean to media outlets, papers etc?

Im going into this pretty green, same time I dont expect some sap shoutin at me for the duration of the game sayin "You tuk ur jobs"...Im a friendly enough chap , Im sure I'll suss the situation out at the game and put any protogs at ease with my evident incompetence:D I'll see how it goes an report back.
    Hopefully there'll be no kung fu

Ive no desire to under cut, replace anyone, so I guessa bit of tact is required?

That said I do want to share the pics with the club after being provided an opportunity to shoot the game. Im also aware that in a lot of circumstances its possible to have good vantage points without any permission required etc. so ya know its a bit unrealistic for a pro to suggest no one else can take pics of the game etc etc

So when you say give the pics away free I assume you mean to media outlets, papers etc?

No, free would also include to the club, players, fans, as well as media/papers/press.

Anything that generates revenue for the photographer.

I make most of my money directly from the clubs, rather than from press. So, someone giving free to the club would certainly be cutting in to my money, and I wouldn't be impressed. At the same time, I do have a contract with the club.

If your photos are good enough to be given away, they why are the not good enough to be paid for? If they're good enough to print, then they're good enough to print. Simple as that.

I dont mean to get your back up here at all, and Im not casting any doubts on your credibility or otherwise so dont take offence here.

If you dont mind me saying the scenario sounds a little unrealistic? This board is chock full of amateurs taking snaps all over the place and they're are getting published.

So PCPHOTO went down of his own accord , took pics and posted them up .... by your logic the guy is depriving someone of an income that they are some how automatically entitled to?

Surely the issue is pro's having contracts in place and producing good enough work to win them? Surely a pro will produce far superior work than an amateur No?

Again , Im not looking for an arguement , maybe Im talking myself into one. I'll see what happens on saturday.

• Advertisement

Oh, don't worry, I'm not offended or anything like that. It's an interesting topic to discuss. I'm just giving my own view.

Most of the "amateurs" on here (including myself) do earn a little from photography. The definition of pro V amateur on boards can be a very very thin line. Most of us are not full-time photographers.

PCPhoto took images and posted them. Many of us do similar. He's not depriving any pro there, since he's not giving away the images. They may be here to view, but they're not taking away from the pro.

There are many events that people cover, and would have surplus images (after giving to club/press, etc) and would then post some here. Also, since the photographer (in most cases) retains copyright, the images can be sold to the club/press/etc and also posted here.

Again, the difference in quality between a full-time pro, and many people here on boards can be very slim.

I'm not trying to argue, just giving a different view to the discussion. All friendly here. :)

I appreciate your point of view .... so lets say I post "surplus" pics here after Ive offered my photos to whoever, club ,media,

How do I know They dont just end up using them despite saying they didnt want them ?

How do you know they are surplus if ya get me , I may not have bothered trying to charge for any of them?

I mean how do you know the images available by PCPHOTO arent being used elsewhere and some other photographer doesnt have a contract as a result?

I mean its all very grey if ya see where Im comin from?

Again I appreciate your input and openess here.

Most photographers who attend events will quickly work out who are there to make money, and who are there for enjoyment.

At any football games I attend, I know the other photographers, or I'll say hello. You can quickly work out who's who. You know who is there from the press/papers, opposition club, etc.

From that, you'll be able to work out who you might impact if you give away images.

Giving away free images not only devalues someone elses work but will ultimately also devalue anything you produce (if you ever want to make any money from photography).

Posting photos online (as long as they're copyright, and somewhat protected) isn't really going to impact anyone. But, giving free photos to papers/press/clubs is very much going to impact on people.

I'm sure PCPhoto would know any other photographers who attended the event, and then would know what the score is, so to speak. :)

It's about knowing the environment, the competition and the circumstances of an event. Some events (like that game) would have very limited media requirements.

I covered a game last weekend (FAI Ford Cup game) and there were 6 photographers - 1 agency, 1 press/paper, 2 from opposition club, myself and a photographer I brought along for experience. Being a cup game, a number of papers, clubs and the FAI would want the images. I supplied to two papers, and the club. I also posted some of my surplus images on FlickR. As well as that, all my selected images went on my website.

When you start covering events, you quickly get to know the situation.

There are some events (like that one) where you can blag your way in, but most events require official accreditation and access. You learn as you go along.

Is there a special handshake I should know about? heh heh

Seriously though much appreciate the heads up on how things work.

I accept if they are good enough to use they are good enough to pay for. . . at the risk of being an absolute leech on your soul... :p how are photos priced ?

Im not asking for your personal information or anything, just a guidance on how its done?

You'd think this kinda thing would be regularised in some manner? Some kinda process....I assume "accreditation" from the like of the FAI includes some kinda protocol?

Is there a special handshake I should know about? heh heh

I don't know what you're laughing at. :eek: Of course there's a secret handshake. ;)

how are photos priced ?

Papers/press have their own set rates. Other than that, it's every man for himself. People have different rates for different jobs. There's nothing set in stone.
    You'd think this kinda thing would be regularised in some manner? Some kinda process....I assume "accreditation" from the like of the FAI includes some kinda protocol?

Every club/association/organisation is different. It's hard to explain, you just learn as you go along.

Sound man Paul , much appreciate all the feedback youre a gent.

just to clarify some things:

TrevM .... I went to the game with the intention of sending out the images to the national papers - I work freelance so basically if I dont get an image printed I earn nothing.

On this occasion - I wasn't happy with the images I was taking so didn't send out any images.... both INPHO and Sportsfile were also there so the papers were unlikely to use my stuff.

as regards getting into doing sports - are you talking about taking pics at:
    a) local games
    b) going to LoI (Eircom League:rolleyes:) games
    c) International games

if its all of the above or b+c you will need some professional gear, no harm on practicing at your local club - but explain that you cant do it for free ...... lets face it - you'd be crazy to work for free.... and if you start doing it once then where do you stop !!

TrevM .... dropped you a PM if you wanted to come along tomorrow.

PCPHOTO - sorry for high jackin your thread mate :P.

I guess at the end of this Ive learned a bit, I'll probably learn a lot on Sat , at least Im a little more knowledgeable now than I would have been. I talk to the club media guy.

I'll look more into accreditation and doing more games. Sure I may end up with a load of ****e at the end of the day making all Pauls hard work on me redundant:D

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    TrevM .... dropped you a PM if you wanted to come along tomorrow.

Soundman , off to check PM ! Woot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Are you aware why...?

It said News of the world on their tops which is a sister paper of the Sun, Liverpool fans have a problem with the Sun due to mis reporting of the Hillsborough Disaster 20 years ago, with all due respect the ppl on Irish Kop should Kop themselves on, the NOTW dancers are there every week and were not drafted in to annoy plastic scousers!

Here is a pic of said dancers:
    3746907613_22006ec755.jpg

with all due respect the ppl on Irish Kop should Kop themselves on,

Maybe Bohs should kop themselves on and respect who they have in the ground supporting there team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    Pure hypocrisy.

How?
    Didn't the Liverpool captain sell the rights of his autobiography to the Sun?

Don't think so? Could be wrong, would love to know where you got that from though.
    Why don't you boycot Sky Sports as well?

Why?

Pure hypocrisy. Didn't the Liverpool captain sell the rights of his autobiography to the Sun? Why don't you boycot Sky Sports as well?

No he sold them to the NOTW,what the players do is up to them.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Maybe Bohs should kop themselves on and respect who they have in the ground supporting there team.

Lol you want them to cancel their regular half time entertainment just because you and your IrishKop have a problem with the Sun. That is laughable, and is typical of Liverpool fans, Hillsborough was a terrible event and that is beyond question but to have a go at Bohs 20 years on is just too much even for Liverpool fans.

Oh and btw you will be waiting a long time if you are looking for respect in Dalymount Park or any other ground, at the end of the day you are a Irish person supporting an English team against Irish Opposition and I hope you were treated with the contempt you and your ilk deserve!

I fully expect this thread to be locked and rightly so! Now go away and Mod one of the many forums you are involved with and dont bother us again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Oh and btw you will be waiting a long time if you are looking for respect in Dalymount Park or any other ground, at the end of the day you are a Irish person supporting an English team against Irish Opposition and I hope you were treated with the contempt you and your ilk deserve!

Well said Fergus. It would be more in their line to get up off their holes and go out and support their local LOI team instead of fawning over a foreign team in a foreign city in a foreign country loaded with overpaid foreign prima donnas.

Lol you want them to cancel their regular half time entertainment just because you and your IrishKop have a problem with the Sun. That is laughable, and is typical of Liverpool fans, Hillsborough was a terrible event and that is beyond question but to have a go at Bohs 20 years on is just too much even for Liverpool fans.

I fully expect this thread to be locked and rightly so! Now go away and Mod one of the many forums you are involved with and dont bother us again!

We sold about 400 tickets for the event with no commission making Bohs money,the least they can do is respect our views.Maybe they did not know about the boycott thats understandable and all we are doing is brining it up so it will not happen again.

If they did no about our boycott and still had the NOTW as a sponsor we will make representation's to LFC not to play Bohs again.

We sold about 400 tickets for the event with no commission making Bohs money,the least they can do is respect our views.Maybe they did not know about the boycott thats understandable and all we are doing is brining it up so it will not happen again.

If they did no about our boycott and still had the NOTW as a sponsor we will make representation's to LFC not to play Bohs again.

What part of Dublin is Liverpool in? "We", "Us", "Our", what in the name of god are you on about man??

Bohs have a long standing arrangement with these people and you seriously expect them to put this in jepordy to appease you and your IrishKopites (which rhymes with gob****es btw).

Dont be so bloody niave and go away, as I have said before this is a Photography Forum!

• Advertisement

This is a whole different arguement now.

I'll say that I am a big Liverpool fan (have been since I was a kid). I visit Liverpool when I can and go to games too. I also follow LOI football. I don't see a problem with that.

As for The Sun, well, it's a tabloid, and junk. What was said about Hillsborough will never rest easy with anyone who has an association with Liverpool. The blatant lies, and their total lack of remorse for what was printed continues.

But, when it comes to the half time entertainment of Bohs, I've no problem with that. Anyone who boos those girls is taking things way too far, IMHO.

Anyway, can we get back to talking about photography, please????

Paulw wrote: »

Anyway, can we get back to talking about photography, please????

Dub13 is a Cmod so I suppose he can go off topic wherever he wants!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

IBTL

Only read part of this but ...
    No he sold them to the NOTW,what the players do is up to them.

So will you be making representation's to LFC not to play Gerrard in the team again.

While I think you are wrong to blame Bohs for the NOTW dancers, I call for an immiediate boycott of Burdocks, I cant believe they were selling Chicken Burgers at half-time, do they have no shame!

:(:(:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4372230.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I thought it would at least take Liverpool fans a couple of weeks before they realised that yet again it "wasnt going to be their season"..

Booing NOTW girls who perform at every single game is an absolute joke.. I'd wonder how many of the Liverpool fans had even seen a game in Ireland before..
    Have to agree with Paul, its possible to support an English team AND go to Irish games... Its not always black and white lads..
    Might be time to get back on topic on this aswell..

shepthedog wrote: »
    its possible to support an English team AND go to Irish games...

I agree.

It's the barstool boys with the We, US, Our mentality that I'm on about who wouldn't know a LOI ground if they were parachuted into it.

aparently I have been banned from irishkop for posting the images that I put up here.

TBH I didnt know people were that sensitive on the issue - YES - I am a liverpool fan but no I'm not going to hold a grudge against a newspaper because of what it reported 20years ago....if other liverpool fans really wanted to hold a grudge why dont they go for the reporter(s) who wrote the piece and/or the editor/sub editor who allowed it to be printed.

If anyone on the IrishKop website wants to know I was in touch with someone from the site before the game and asked if the site wanted some pics from the game - free of charge, as I'm a liverpool fan I went to the game and emailed them later that night - yesterday I posted 5 images and when I went back onto the site (after watching the footy yesterday - I was Banned)

To the Boards liverpool fan that posted on irishkop saying that I was happily posting the pics on boards I would appreciate if you would look at which section of boards this is - This is the Photography section for photographers and amateurs to post images discuss them and talk about various photography events and ask for photography advice - this is not the soccer forum and I would appreciate an apology.

I take offence to the fact that this person posted "same guy is ripping the piss about the dancers and notw on boards.."

and also the response "Yeah it's pathetic. He comes on here with his stupid little picture and gets banned immediately (I hope!).

What is the point? Just shows a lack of respect and a serious lack in intelligence.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Bohs have the NOTW girls every match.

Now move on.

Nice photos.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Gentlemen can we get back to taking about the photo's please... this has gone completely off-topic... I will also direct some of you to Basic Manners. You may continue this discussion in either the Out of Focus Thread or the Football Forum.

Thank you.

PM on its way to you.

*****Censorship*****

*****yes. yes it is****

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement